• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Home made traditional food

Talking of mushy peas, we always had the dried peas from a box, soaked with the bicarb tablet contained in the box. Seem to remember they took a long time to soak. I don't think you could even buy tinned mushy peas back then - 1950s ish.

I remember learning to make shortbread at school. And so I became the expert at home in making shortbread. Far superior to ready made biscuits. Lovely and buttery. Viv.
:yumviv they were great i used to have big bowl of them with vineger on.

:yum prob i left it in the oven too long,..... now rock cakes i am a wizard at them:grinning:i buy the mix add water egg mix it and plonk dollops on the tray and put in the oven.
:grinning:
I used to love rock cakes! My mom did not make very often and I was not sure if they were a mistake! She and my aunt daisy made donuts once the only part they got right was the nuts, you could drive nails with them they were so hard!

my mom made exceedingly good cakes:) and pies, blackberry and apple was my favorite, but every thing else she cooked was terrable, a fry'd egg was like a dioly. bless her :heart:

:yum prob i left it in the oven too long,..... now rock cakes i am a wizard at them:grinning:i buy the mix add water egg mix it and plonk dollops on the tray and put in the oven.
:grinning:
Living in America, I tried to make Hot Cross Buns, (not being able to buy them), I don't bake very often. My husband took one look at them and called them Hot Cross Rock Buns. I haven't attempted since.

Living in America, I tried to make Hot Cross Buns, (not being able to buy them), I don't bake very often. My husband took one look at them and called them Hot Cross Rock Buns. I haven't attempted since.

Hot cross rock Buns. sounds good to me.​

:yum:grinning:

Mother used to make steamed sponge puddings with syrup or sultanas, lovely!! Christmas puddings too, we all had a "stir".
Mince pies were made in one large square and then cut into smaller squares a bit like thick Garibalbi biscuits but very tasty.
rosie.

Hot cross rock Buns. sounds good to me.​

:yum:grinning:

My wife used to bake for the WI & makes yummy cakes, but no way can i persuade her to make my favourite ( Rock buns ) I think that she thinks rock buns are not becoming a cake maker of her calibre. ( Hope she doesn`t read this ) I recently bought a Ninja foodi dual zone airfryer & i shall have a go at baking some rock buns myself, & her indoors is not getting any.:yum:worried:

My wife used to bake for the WI & makes yummy cakes, but no way can i persuade her to make my favourite ( Rock buns ) I think that she thinks rock buns are not becoming a cake maker of her calibre. ( Hope she doesn`t read this ) I recently bought a Ninja foodi dual zone airfryer & i shall have a go at baking some rock buns myself, & her indoors is not getting any.:yum:worried:
let me know when they are ready smudge and i will be there to share them with you.:yum

Mother used to make steamed sponge puddings with syrup or sultanas, lovely!! Christmas puddings too, we all had a "stir".
Mince pies were made in one large square and then cut into smaller squares a bit like thick Garibalbi biscuits but very tasty.
rosie.
Sometimes we had a choice. Golden syrup, jam or sugar. But that would be on yesterday’s leftover ‘traybake’. The large yorkshire pudding warmed up.

i dont like beef liver only pigs liver and with green runner beans:yum
My priority is calves, lambs and don’t care too much for pigs live.
Just as an aside a few years ago I lost my right kidney, during the period after surgery I was told to eat a lot of calves liver. Not a big seller here but we went into “sticker shock” at how expensive it was.

As a nipper I remember eating a lot of minced beef, rabbit and neck of lamb stew. This would’ve been because it was cheap. I rarely buy lamb neck now, it’s delicious buy very expensive for what it is. What changed? I also remember my Dad eating tripe, heart, brains and pigs trotters. I used to come home from school to see a heart or a brain soaking in a Pyrex bowl like something from a Hammer horror film. I suppose growing up in the 1920s he would have been served a lot of them.
I’m lucky to have a wife who is a wonderful cook, and the nicest recipes always come from this book which her Mum bought her years ago. Nice and simple, you don’t need to do much if you have good ingredients to begin with.

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpeg
    IMG_0880.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 4
Bought some lamb's hearts last week. Butcher (not supermarket) doesn'thave them often as most go to for dissection in biology lessons. The hearts are in the freezer. Will make a stuffing to go in them then braise in onion gravy and have with mash and veg.

Back