• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holidays of the past

• Thread starter Thread starter Rod
  • Start date Start date
I gather you were probably off to Salcombe or Kingsbridge Chris. The Primrose line closed in the Beeching era so it would be car or Tally Ho! bus from Totnes now.

If children visited Blackpool on this holiday week in 1938 they might have had trouble seeing the sea. The pic is slightly damaged bottom left but still shows a bloke in a suit and bowler hat paddling and he seems to be carrying a bundle under his left arm probably his shoes and those of the woman paddling nearby in a long dress and hat who could have been his wife. Notice the van shaped like a teapot .... :)
View attachment 135954

in August 1939 the Birmingham Post gives picture from on high…

B5C5F16C-01B1-40C8-8C62-E8A783544064.jpeg

just reading this post reminded me of the holidays at blackpool in a B&B the big feather bed in a room no bigger than a cupboard with just enough room to squeeze past the bed. after breakfast you left the house untill supper time. and hoped it was not raining all day.:(

Last edited:
My earliest holidays were at Wells-next-the-sea in Norfolk. Nan lived in Dereham, and it was train from Brum to there, can’t remember which station we went from but it wasn’t direct, we had to change. We then had days out from there by train to Wells. I remember the hydroplane racing in the harbour. Lovely sands, beach huts.
A sea mine repurposed as a charity box, it was as big as I was.
1962.JPG
Knitted swimming trunks.
Cockles and winkles. Hooking them out of the shells with pin.
That’s when I found out I turn blue in cold water, and red in sunshine, very patriotic.
Later holidays were in Hunstanton, and Cromer, (crabs, yum yum).

Andrew.

Used to go to Bournemouth for a week with an aunt and uncle. They had no children and both worked at Tufnol. My mom would take me to meet them at I think New Street. We stayed at a B&B owned by a very nice lady, Mrs Parton. After breakfast we would go to the beach hut they would rent with some friends and spend the day rain or shine! My aunt would make sandwiches for lunch on a cob roll.
At night we would go to a pub where I would stay outside, my uncle would bring me a bag os Smiths crisps and a shandy or ginger beer.
It was a wonderful time indelibly imbeded!

My first holiday as a child was towards the end of ww2. We went with our next door neighbours by Midland Red bus to Bewdley. We stayed in a real gypsy caravan in a farmer's field at Bankside near Arley. The caravan had large wooden wheels with horse shafts, and steps up to the end door. It was decorated with bright colours inside and out and had a wood burning stove for cooking. Every morning I used to go with my sister down a hill across the railway track to the River Severn. We used to stand halfway down the hill looking down at the river often seeing american airplanes flying low along the river. We always waved to the pilots and were thrilled when they waved back ... :)

Used to go to Bournemouth for a week with an aunt and uncle. They had no children and both worked at Tufnol. My mom would take me to meet them at I think New Street. We stayed at a B&B owned by a very nice lady, Mrs Parton. After breakfast we would go to the beach hut they would rent with some friends and spend the day rain or shine! My aunt would make sandwiches for lunch on a cob roll.
At night we would go to a pub where I would stay outside, my uncle would bring me a bag os Smiths crisps and a shandy or ginger beer.
It was a wonderful time indelibly imbeded!

lovely memories richard and similar to my own....hang on to them as they are so very precious:)

lyn

My first holiday as a child was towards the end of ww2. We went with our next door neighbours by Midland Red bus to Bewdley. We stayed in a real gypsy caravan in a farmer's field at Bankside near Arley. The caravan had large wooden wheels with horse shafts, and steps up to the end door. It was decorated with bright colours inside and out and had a wood burning stove for cooking. Every morning I used to go with my sister down a hill across the railway track to the River Severn. We used to stand halfway down the hill looking down at the river often seeing american airplanes flying low along the river. We always waved to the pilots and were thrilled when they waved back ... :)
Gosh, what a super memory to hold. Thank you.

1960 we all went to mid wales to a place called borth ,and stopped at a caravan park .the van only had gas lights, during the day we spent a lot of time looking in the rocks pools for craps and scufflers and rock climbing. night time was spent in a tv room a (old shed) watching bbc or welsh tv ony 2 stations..we went back in later years but never as good as that first time there.

Some summer holidays I spent with my Nan in Yorkshire. Off I’d trot up to Leeds where mum’s family would take me into the fold for a few weeks of pampering and fun with the wider family.

I stayed with my Nan and Uncle a few miles outside Leeds. One year my Nan decided she needed a little holiday, just a few days. She decided on Blackpool, quite a common trip for Yorkshire folk, across the Pennines - ‘on’t bus’ - just the two of us. I adored going out and about with her, she was such a caring and loving grandma.

In Blackpool we stayed in a B&B, not far from the front. We did the sights, the Tower, the Ballroom etc. this was accompanied by her memories of when she visited Blackpool when she was young. It was inevitable that our trip would involve fish and chips. But she could never complement the Blackpool fish and chips as you couldn’t top those of her local chippie, the Ritz, back home.

The B&B had a breakfast room in the cellar. Down we’d go, and each of those mornings, while eating our breakfast, the tune of “What’s new Pusseycat” by Tom Jones would come blaring across the room from the radio. I think it was #1 in the charts at the time.

Now every time I hear that tune I think of my lovely Nan and our trip to Blackpool. No long airplane flight, no fancy hotel, no sunning yourself on the beach, just me and Nan, ‘on’t bus’ and Tom Jones.

Viv.

Last edited:
Wow, I’m back there with Nan chatting over the bacon, sausage and eggs, planning the day !! Thanks Pete. The power of music .... Viv.

We used to regularly go fishing in the Teme valley, Worcestershire in the 1960's and there were numerous hop fields and Oast houses everywhere. One place we went countless times was Eardiston where we fished the river Teme by the old mill, on the way down the track we passed rows of little shacks with corrugated iron roofs and one time we passed they were full of people inc lots of young children who had come hop picking, they had communal cooking fires and crude toilets etc. Where they had all come from I have no idea as it was in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
Troulos on the Greek Island of Skiathos in August 2012. The fire took 2 days to extinguish with the help of Turkish planes.
Would never of thought that 11 years later, around the same time of year, the Town would be struck by such floods.

qftrf024_2_2.jpeg

Some time ago I took scans of several old holiday postcards that my mother had saved. On some like the one below I did not record where it was from. Any ideas about this one ?

IMG_7737.jpeg

Back