• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holidays of the past

• Thread starter Thread starter Rod
  • Start date Start date
The Mumbles, Swansea Bay.jpg
This is the last one from the newspaper and it is THE MUMBLES, SWANSEA BAY.

Great pictures Stitcher. I was born B,ham but mom was from Portsmouth so we visited Southsea and hayling island at least two times a year from birth G

The first time I saw the sea as an adult was at Combe Martin in 1954. We camped at place called 'Sandaway' up Newberry Hill. It was mainly small caravans and tents in those days but a quick look on Google Earth shows it is still named 'Sandaway' but owned by John Fowler. We had two weeks of glorious sunshine and liked it so much we went again in 1955 but a massive storm blew our tents away and we had to come home early. The next year we all had to do National Service and holidays ended for two years.
The first pic shows us by our tent.
Ted Bill Cliff Phil.jpg
The second shows our tent on the edge of the cliff below a caravan.
Camp Site.jpg

re#99, was there last weekend, hard to spot any differences. The White Hart pub is now a Damien Hirst restaurant. re#100 I like the proper boy scout lashings etc.

Last edited:
Hi All,

If you count the River Mersey as the sea, I was born, almost, within sight of it and visited the old Pier Head with my mum from long before I can remember. A trip across the Mersey on the ferry boat to New Brighton & the beach was a serious treat for a young lad in Toxteth!

I've been a Brummie by adoption now for 50 years this month and have enjoyed every minute of it. Liverpool & Birmingham - two wonderful cities...........

I wonder how young you would have to be to see a hovercraft on your first visit to the seaside? Here is one taken yesterday at Southsea near Portsmouth. It is arriving after its 10 minute trip from the Isle of Wight. Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_20170922_115357087_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170922_115357087_HDR.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 18
I wonder how young you would have to be to see a hovercraft on your first visit to the seaside? Here is one taken yesterday at Southsea near Portsmouth. It is arriving after its 10 minute trip from the Isle of Wight. Dave.

Think that one started in the 60s

Yes, I believe my first trip to the seaside was either RHYL or LLANDUDNO on a school trip in the early 50's

Dave A

If children visited Blackpool on this holiday week in 1938 they might have had trouble seeing the sea. The pic is slightly damaged bottom left but still shows a bloke in a suit and bowler hat paddling and he seems to be carrying a bundle under his left arm probably his shoes and those of the woman paddling nearby in a long dress and hat who could have been his wife. Notice the van shaped like a teapot .... :)
Blackpool1938.jpg

View attachment 116788 View attachment 116789 View attachment 116790
I was never taken to the seaside as a child and the first time I saw the sea was when I went on my motor bike to Hayling Island to see a friend who was there on holiday. This may have something to do with why I really wanted to be a lorry driver. These images are from todays Daily Mail and I visited all of the locations in my late tens when I used drive a small lorry.

The first three are ABERDOVEY, BANGOR CATHEDRAL and BARMOUTH.
down there on sunday last

Last edited:
Although I had been going to the coast since birth, my first recollection was when I was four years old. My mom was Portsmouth born and bred so we usually visited twice a year to see family. I was taken round the dockyard by an uncle which made a great impression. Every day would be off to the beach and the old chap usually disappeared for an hour or so (pub). I still visit these days but much more often as our son now lives there.

Found this old photo from the 1950s We would go to Falmouth Cornwall for our holidays and I would take my bike and ride the lovely country lanes. BUT It was amazing how we would dress then to go to the seaside. A lot different now. Bikinis and even less. I have my cycling shoes on ready to go riding

Attachments

• 60025665_1806519846114710_6856070407867334656_n.jpg
    60025665_1806519846114710_6856070407867334656_n.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 21
just watched, again, Astoness #65 NSPCC took us to the sea video, wonder if any of those kids having such a lovely time are on the Forum. Paul

A suit and tie on the beach - hard to imagine now! Perhaps it was a bit chilly that day. It's a nice photo, with everyone looking cheerful.

I know that my sister was stung by a jellyfish at either Rhyll or Llandudno, but don't remember it.

I wonder how our parents chose guest houses and what have you. Would there have been directories or was it word of mouth?

Maria,

My parents found many of the places we stayed at - guest houses, chalets & caravans - in the small adds in the Birmingham Mail or The Smallholder. I don't think we ever used the same place twice as we liked to try different locations. Never found a place that we didn't like.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
My first time at the sea was a charabanc trip from the Brookvale pub in Erdington. More recently a holiday to south west Crete. Next to the beach we were on was a nudist beach, & at the back of the beach were some bushes occupied by a guy dressed up in a Cretan outfit, & every now & then he would pop his head up & shout "pig meat".

The first place I saw the sea was at Bournemouth when I was 4.
We went down to visit my aunt and uncle who had recently moved down to live there from Brum.
We walked down the pathway among the trees at Canford Cliff and suddenly the sea came into view - I can remember it so well, took me a little while to understand where the sky ended and the sea began!

Smudger,

Was he selling or buying? :cool:
You couldn't have been that far away from the Samaria Gorge then.

Maurice

A.Sparks,

The posh bit then, but actually in Poole, but this year Poole, Bournemouth & Christchurch all became one borough. Canford Cliffs is still a nice area though.

A.Sparks,

The posh bit then, but actually in Poole, but this year Poole, Bournemouth & Christchurch all became one borough. Canford Cliffs is still a nice area though.

Yes, the posh bit :-) but I must add that my aunt and uncle didn't live in Canford Cliffs!
They lived in a flat over a shop in west Bournemouth for a while and later moved to Southbourne, then Christchurch where I spent many holidays afterwards so I know that side much better.

My first trip to the seaside was in1949to Rhyl with my mothers Co Marsh&Baxters.We went by train and all had a package with pop,sandwiches and of cause a small pork pie.The next year we went to Southend with RTP.And Raywas Sherrif Danny Arnold there in the Caves at Margate when you went.Incidently I bought a Hotel in Margate in 1984 and am still down this way.

A suit and tie on the beach - hard to imagine now! Perhaps it was a bit chilly that day. It's a nice photo, with everyone looking cheerful.

I know that my sister was stung by a jellyfish at either Rhyll or Llandudno, but don't remember it.

I wonder how our parents chose guest houses and what have you. Would there have been directories or was it word of mouth?
We always stayed at the same BB in Falmouth Cornwall. An Argentina woman owned it and was a great cook, fresh veggies, of course, happy memories

My first trip to the seaside was in1949to Rhyl with my mothers Co Marsh&Baxters.We went by train and all had a package with pop,sandwiches and of cause a small pork pie.The next year we went to Southend with RTP.And Raywas Sherrif Danny Arnold there in the Caves at Margate when you went.Incidently I bought a Hotel in Margate in 1984 and am still down this way.
edifi. please define danny arnold. i had some doller bills with him on them.who was he?

Attachments

• danny.jpeg
    danny.jpeg
    6.5 KB · Views: 4
Back