• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Derek. That's a great picture !!!! My Uncle George used to catch the bus from the Met to come for his dinner at Gran's so I used to see him every dinner time. Seeing the picture made me think of him catching the bus there.
Nice One Derek, Take Care mate.

To:GER22VAN/pmc1947,

Ernie/Phil,

As regards my query about Bricklin Street, I had it confirmed yesterday that my ancestor lived for a while at No. 2 Bricklin Street, Birmingham.

I got the item from the Mormon set-up in Utah, but, unfortunately, they don't pinpoint the area. And I don't know enough about researching its set-up, yet, to find out anything more.

But I still have this vague memory about Dartmouth Street and Aston Road. Wish I could find the map I'm almost certain I saw it on...

Never mind. Sustained effort and all that...!

Cheers,

Jim
icon14.gif

jim
I can't find your earlier post, but attached is map of c1839 showing Brickiln st and Dartmouth st. The position of no 2 is not absolutely certain, but in 1873 it is about the position of the blue spot, the numbering being from Lancaster st along the south side, then down the north side. Later there is a pub on the south corner with Lancaster st, which is 17, so possibly street was renumbered, but it is not clear.

mike

no2 bricklin st. 1839.jpg

Last edited:
jim
I can't find your earlier post, but attached is map of 1839 showing Brickiln st and Dartmouth st. The position of no 2 is not absolutely certain, but in 1873 it is about the position of the blue spot, the numbering being from Lancaster st along the south side, then down the north side. Later there is a pub on the south corner with Lancaster st, which is 17, so possibly street was renumbered, but it is not clear.
As map is fairly large i have connected it with link rather than directly on forum.
https://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq38/jeemikejee/no2brickiilnst1839.jpg
mike

Thanks, Mike,

This probably is the map that I have seen sometime in past months but couldn't recall because I was not looking for any place in particular.

I notice that Dartmouth Street is shown and so is Aston Street, where my dicey memory may have decided it was Aston Road I had spotted...

Anyway, thanks again, Mike. That's a great help. At least it gives me another stepping-stone in my chasing up of my ancestry...!

Regards,

Jim
icon14.gif

The 1890 original survey map below might give a little more detail. Not many houses on Brickiln at that time. Looks like #2 might be next to a pub which would be handy. I have seen an older map on here that showed more houses. Zoom in below on the map.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10094&ox=2194&oy=3116&zm=1&czm=1&x=473&y=339

Thanks, Rupert: I address the same remarks to you as I have to Mike.

That's the great thing about Heartlands - so many folk willing to jump to your aid. And one or two members know that - at the moment - I am stuck at home as a result of being tethered to an oxygen hose, so I can't get to the library...

Thanks, again,

Jim
icon14.gif

hope this is some use incorperated photo with map

John,

I've just spotted your conribution to my appeals for the whereabouts of Bricklin Street. It's brilliant! Not only a map section but a picture that could turn out to be a pictorial piece of Pedley history...

Thanks a lot.

Jim
icon14.gif

Mike/Phil/Rupert/John:

I can only thank you all for your kind efforts regarding my ancestor's address in 1881.

But I still have the ever-present problem of Bricklin Street and Brick Kiln Street - which comes about purely because of the way we Brummies pronounce some of our words...

As I have explained before, I have come across (particularly in the Black Country!) people who pronounce Brick Kiln as Bricklin, and it becomes so confusing...

Since I have picked up Mormon records written as Bricklin Street, it makes me keep on wondering whether or not the Mormon's records clerk wrote it down correctly, and whether this is the reason for my constantly confused chase after my ancestor's place of abode...!

Anyway, thanks to you all for your efforts. They're appreciated.

Regards,

Jim
icon14.gif

pedlarman. Jim I am so sorry that I was unable to help you but am very pleased to see the response you have got, keep at it Jim " Forward is the Motto ".

The confusion is shown by the 1777 directory, which was reprinted in a volume called "Birmingham 120 years ago" in 1896. The original calls it Brick Kiln Lane and gives no 2 Brick Kiln Lane as William Deakin and no 4 johnson's row, brick kiln lane as Hobday, Ja. . In the reprint the directory is also abstracted by street (not present in the original) and William Deakin is listed as being at 2 Bricklin Lane and Hobday. Ja as being at no 4 johnson's buildings(Brickiln lane). So in the reprint the original is Brick kiln, but added abstract gives either Bricklin or Brickiln .
Mike

The confusion is shown by the 1777 directory, which was reprinted in a volume called "Birmingham 120 years ago" in 1896. The original calls it Brick Kiln Lane and gives no 2 Brick Kiln Lane as William Deakin and no 4 johnson's row, brick kiln lane as Hobday, Ja. . In the reprint the directory is also abstracted by street (not present in the original) and William Deakin is listed as being at 2 Bricklin Lane and Hobday. Ja as being at no 4 johnson's buildings(Brickiln lane). So in the reprint the original is Brick kiln, but added abstract gives either Bricklin or Brickiln .
Mike

Mike,

As I say, it gets more and more confusing as we delve deeper...!!!

Cheers,

Jim
icon14.gif
icon8.gif

Hey John Houghton, what a piece of work! how do you do it,
wish i was clever like that you certainly know what you,re doing,
incorporating picture and the bonus with the map.
great stuff regards Dereklcg.

To everybody that has contributated to this thread I have spent a good 4 hours reading from the begining. The photos are amazing and everybodies memories are so facinating to read Thanks to you all.

dottieau

I entirely agree with your comments, and I feel privileged to have been able to contribute to such a popular thread. I feel that all our thanks should go to the instigator of the thread GER22VAN or as he is better known as Ernie.

Phil

I also agree with the last two comments...
However I must also add that 'This Thread' is made up of the combination of three different threads that I locked for a few days a while back.
I then as moderator, edited and bought them together under one umberalla for easier reading and renamed all three 'Gosta Green Through Duddeston'.
I don't mean to take any of the credit away from GER22VAN Erni. as most of the first posts of the thread are down to him.
I just did not want other original thread posters to feel they had been forgotten in the reshuffle of the threads.

Chris/Pom :angel:

Somewhere in the past on this thread I have hoped to stimulate other folks memories of the past. Was it once said that a picture paints a thousand words ? That picture makes the past come to life more than words can sometimes say.
I think that everyone who contributes no matter how little or how much has made this thread. and Phil has been exceptional in his postings.

Ernie

The reason why I may have posted more on this thread than any other is simple to understand. It’s such an enjoyable thread and full of interesting facts and reminisces about the area.

Everyone who has contributed has made it this way, and I have learned things about the area that I didn't know the first thing about, and I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about the area

So my thanks go to the contributors of this thread and to the Birmingham History Forum for giving it a platform.

P
hil

Ernie

The reason why I may have posted more on this thread than any other is simple to understand. It’s such an enjoyable thread and full of interesting facts and reminisces about the area.

Everyone who has contributed has made it this way, and I have learned things about the area that I didn't know the first thing about, and I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about the area

So my thanks go to the contributors of this thread and to the Birmingham History Forum for giving it a platform.

P
hil

Phil,

I tell you what: I lived in the area for many years and I actually remember my gran taking me to the "Del" - to the pictures...! But I have learned more about the area in which I grew up than I ever knew existed - from the remeniscences of members of Heartlands (such as yourself)

And since I have just passed the age of eighty, I take it that you younger inhabitants of the Gosta Green area were either much more adventurous and inquisative than I was - or this ancient memory of mine is starting to fade!

Whatever it is, I'm certainly enjoying myself with, not only being offered stuff I never knew anything about, but being reminded of people and incidents that I had forgotten about many moons ago...

Anyway, thanks for the memories - whatever the source.

Cheers,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Talking of reminisces and old memories, I came across this photo the other day, I know it will fail to stir the memories of most, but there are one or two on this forum, who like myself will remember it.

It’s the outdoor in Francis St; it’s in the same section of the street that I used to live between Willis St and Henry St. It is in fact only three doors away from where I used to live. If I only had a pint for every pint I have fetched from there in a jug or bottle.

In all the time I have spent collecting photos, this is the nearest I have ever got to my old house in Francis St.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Francis St Outdoor 1961  .jpg
    Nechells Francis St Outdoor 1961 .jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 13
Talking of reminisces and old memories, I came across this photo the other day, I know it will fail to stir the memories of most, but there are one or two on this forum, who like myself will remember it.

It’s the outdoor in Francis St; it’s in the same section of the street that I used to live between Willis St and Henry St. It is in fact only three doors away from where I used to live. If I only had a pint for every pint I have fetched from there in a jug or bottle.

In all the time I have spent collecting photos, this is the nearest I have ever got to my old house in Francis St.

Phil

Hi, Phil,

During my chasing after my ancestry, it has been suggested from one source that a Pedley family once lived at an address in Francis Street - No. 202 - I think it was...

Since you also once lived in that street, any recollections that might be useful to me?

Cheers,

Jim (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Hi Jim

I'm afraid I can’t be of much help as I think 202 would have been the section of Francis St between Henry St and Windsor St. This was one of the first parts of the streets to go and all I remember of it was an old cinder covered park with about 4 swings and a roundabout and an old man who lived in a yard that sold second hand furniture next to it. Where I might add that most of our furniture was purchased.

I have a photo of the rear of 210 which might be the same sort of house as occupied by your family. I also think 202 would have been very near the corner of Henry St.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Francis St ro 210.jpg
    Nechells Francis St ro 210.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 13
Jim
I think no 202 would have been on the west side of where Henry St crosses Francis St. Number 200 is a beer retailer (which around 1890 was Mrs Annie Walker –shades of Coronation st), and is on the east side . No 205 is on the west. No number between seems to appear in the directories. As can be seen from the 1913 map, the corner building on the east (blue) is large (and they were often pubs), and I think it unlikely that it would never be included in the directory. Therefore it must be no 200. Therefore 202 is either part of the largish building shown on the west corner (red) or the smaller one next to it (green).

The 1889 version of the map is very similar in this area and is at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55193&sheetid=10094&ox=4431&oy=2664&zm=1&czm=1&x=117&y=424

Mike

no_202_francis_st_c_1913.jpg

Jim
Phil has just pointed out that he believes all the corner buildings at the junction were numbered as Henry st. This would invalidate my conclusions given before. The numbering of houses is often a bit irregular. Your house would still be that side, but not the ones i indicated.
mike

Jim

Heres the photo of Henry St that brought me to that conclusion. You can just make out the junction of the part of Francis St by the gas lamp on the left of the photo Francis St ran up to Windsor St from that point. The photo was taken in 1953. I had just about moved into the area then.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Henry St 1953.jpg
    Nechells Henry St 1953.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 13
Sorry that it is not a complete map of Francis Street but I hope it may help.
Don't worry about the spelling of Francis Street , My Mistake.
Francis St Plan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back