• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fox and Grapes - Digbeth

Last edited:
Well, plans for the line seem to be progressing, so there was almost certain to be an "accidental" fire at this time to clear the site

If the HST train comes to Brum where the Fox and Grapes is/was is where the platforms will be

no surprise to me either...guess it saves bcc a few bob in demolision charges....horsencart having been to many HS2 meetings to try to save this 17th century pub i can tell you that platform 6 will be smack on where the fox and grapes stands this is according to the plans i have unless they change them....we stood no chance of saving it..however i believe that because of the medieval archealogical content beneath the pub and surrounding it there will be another excavation of the area before they commence the building of HS2...this is what i was told but remains to be seen..

lyn

Last edited:
It was a case of not if but when they decide to burn down the fox and grapes. Dark Forces at Work. Money Talks.

Hi viv and frothy
This is the first I have heard of this fire at the FG whom actually owns it do you know or more so whom was the last owner
And was it select before the fire because I have an intrest in such fires and when did actually happen end
I would really appreciate any info given I do have a good reason to know

alan if you go to post 54 there are photos of the last day the pub was open which was in 2005 also in the photos are the last landlords and their names... as far as i know the pub has been closed since then...the fire which i presume has now destroyed the pub took hold yesterday afternoon...

lyn

Last edited:
well the swinging arm is still there folks and this pub is not going down easy....photos taken early this morning..police and fire crew still inside the pub and taking photos etc...i did ask what caused the fire but they said dont know yet...mind you they wouldnt tell me if they did know...i hate taking this sort of photo but for the sake of history it has to be done...very sad indeed...

lyn

Attachments

• FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 001.JPG
    FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 001.JPG
    769.8 KB · Views: 23
  • FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 002.JPG
    FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 002.JPG
    775.6 KB · Views: 23
  • FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 003.JPG
    FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 003.JPG
    813.5 KB · Views: 21
  • FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 005.JPG
    FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 005.JPG
    661.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
few more..

Attachments

• FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 006.JPG
    FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 006.JPG
    686 KB · Views: 19
  • FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 007.JPG
    FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 007.JPG
    745.6 KB · Views: 23
  • FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 009.JPG
    FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 009.JPG
    695.2 KB · Views: 19
  • FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 010.JPG
    FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 010.JPG
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 19
took more than i thought

Attachments

• FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 011.JPG
    FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 011.JPG
    906.3 KB · Views: 33
  • FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 013.JPG
    FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 013.JPG
    806.2 KB · Views: 34
  • FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 014.JPG
    FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 014.JPG
    741.6 KB · Views: 32
  • FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 015.jpg
    FOX AND GRAPES FIRE 4.1.15 015.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 34
Thanks for posting photo,s Lyn. I suppose it could have been a lot worse. Probably they will now say its unsafe and has to be demolished. In answer to alans question B.C.C.
have been the owners since 2005.

Thanks for posting photo,s Lyn. I suppose it could have been a lot worse. Probably they will now say its unsafe and has to be demolished. In answer to alans question B.C.C.
have been the owners since 2005.

no probs michael..i thought bcc were the owners and the pub was never going to be saved anyway...oh well this fire will just hurry things along now..cant see it standing much longer...

lyn

Hi Lyn
Can I just say many thanks for taking the pictures as its only come to my mind exactly where the pub is I was thinking of some where else
And of some one else,s pub but I now I know whom the gather and his wife was elderly whom always done the nightly lock in,s
For his trusted spenders whom would have been regular you can be there till six in the morning
Many years ago its was a thriving pub but for the last ten years it fell down with no trade and the only way they could only make area shilling nightly
And I know it would not have covered a electric light bill yet never a rent or brewery bill for supplies that's why he had is own
Cash and carry bottle on board with no till register after hours it took very little money for the last ten years
They was both elderly pensioners running it so I would have said that's why the brewers took compulsory payment from the city council
Plus adding to the fact of the new line station coming through but the pub was empty for a couple of years to my knowledge
Possible two or three hears max I myself have stayed till the early hours in the morning and witnessed the scene after dark
And it constisted of about twenty people max and they was not big boozers either so for what they got in return was pittans
Probly made there bread and butter for that week ( but they was really old people we'll into there pension )
Best wishes Alan,,,,Astonian,,,,,

hi alan just to clarify....the fox and grapes has been closed for 10 years now...its last landlady was attricia gilligan....here is a photo of the last day of opening in 2005...attricia is in the purple on the left and her husband is behind her..post 150 pic 3 which i took this morning shows attricias name above the door..all the best for the new year alan

lyn

Attachments

• fox and grapes last day 2005.JPG
    fox and grapes last day 2005.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Hi Lyn
Nice picture and yes that's the couple indeed that's the people I recall and the reason why I said about 3 years is because that's the last time I walked
Around the area and seen it closed down but area years before that back was when I was locked in there with a friend of mine
It goes to say tha . Tempus museums time waits for no man, I am total Amazed how you Have Accumulated all these pictures you have
Best wishes Lynn Alan,,,,,,

alan i cant take credit for that photo or the other outside and inside shots of the fox and grapes that were posted earlier on this thread...they were orginally posted by another member...

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
Morning Lyn
Happy new year to you Sorry I must have read it wrong regarding the posting of the pic, but any way Lyn you are doing a great job for us
You are a star it goes to show how time is ticking fast for us all I never realized it was ten years closure
Still its down to me not getting into the city of brum I travel to brum most days in the week and week ends
Co ,s that where my business is in kings red tyseley
The last time I was in the Birmingham city was about 18months ago to meet up with jaynenews whom is a member of this forum
And also a 1st cousin to me I got lost coming into the city and the roads well I was at a loose end especially by. LLoyed house
And snow hill I never recognised the old place in the end I was going around the city with a struggle in the driving angle
Eventual I ended up on new canal street by the dogs home so I parked upland tryedto make my way back to the col more row
And snow hill station,I got a panic at the grapes then those huge RDS at the top I never knew where ever I was
Eventually I got there and we had a coffee and exchanged my knowledge on our grand parents
We have exchanged our emails now so we contact each other we never ever met before in our lives
We would have done when we was toddlers at the big parties in new canal street but this is in the forty fifties we was toddlers
Any way thanks for coming back to me keep up the good work and have a nice day may be we will meet up at one of your do,s
Best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,

thank you alan...i do enjoy my history...to be honest i only go into the city centre now when i have to...it has all changed so much now especially with all the work that is going on and will continue to do so for many years to come...but as they say...thats progress for you...

all the best

lyn

Looking at your photos Lyn, I'm sure I saw Birmingham City Councillors sat around warming their hands to the fire.
Or was I imagining things?

Great photo of the Fox and Grapes, from an article in to days Birmingham mail,Fox and Grapes Freeman Street 11-6-1958.jpg Photo courtesy of Carl Chin and Mick Gilligan.

Back