• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

First Record Bought?

I think the first record i brought was i think called Johny Remember Me can,t think who sang it though Dek

First single that I bought for myself was House of the rising sun by the Animals.Did'nt have a clue what it was about,just loved the atmosphere and the sound of Eric Burdons Voice.Still do!

Nobody going to own up to buying the cover versions on the red Embassy label from Woolworths then ??? They were only 4/- instead of 6/7d

I've got a couple somewhere I kept as curiosities. Surf City by the Typhoons, and a cover of Batchelor Boy, cant remember who by though. Didnt buy them new, just aquired them as you do ... honest !

Really close copies, makes you wonder who actually did them, anybody who's played in covers bands will know it aint easy to get that close, and in those days when you probably had to record almost 'live' it mustve taken a lot of ability if not actual talent.

Hi Keegs
the house of the rising sun was a fantasic record i have alot of erics records,
it was about is bringing up in the era of poverty with is parents and reflects on his life
of having nothink and wanted to change and further himself in life and make a better standard of his life
for his parents as well
when eric was growing up he got mixed up with some bad kids, and he got locked up
and was sent away to portland borstal and he spent some time there a year or two .
and when he was there he took the intrest in music and when he came out he formed a band
and they praticed and jammed around for a while then he formed another band later on
then they got there break .and he never looked back and made his name and changed his life
if you wonder how i knew he went to portlad borstal , i knew him through a cousin whom
i went out with her for a very long time, and we used to meet him quite often
especialy when he performed is gigs in brum and we spent time with him around the stage door coffee shop in dale end all nighter after his gigs along with his cousin discussing the family
the house of the rising sun ; brillient ; i still play it today and often take myself back in time in my mind
of my youth which was the best years of my life. as with every body else i surpose , we all reflect
and question our selfs did we take the right path in life or as some one said on the forum
recently-- what did you really want to do in your life, me i wanted to be a fire man , but i chose the army
have a nice day best wishes Astonian ;;

First one that I actually paid for - normally I'd get my mom or sisters to pay - was: OLD SHEP ep Elvis. Bought on the Cov...I think the EP was 6/11d

Fatfingers. I will own up to buying the occasional Embassy cover version. Sometimes they where even better than the real thing. One of the first I bought was Sunarise, a copy of Rolf Harris,s record. I think I made them all in to flower pot stands when they had done there job.

Fatfingers. I will own up to buying the occasional Embassy cover version. Sometimes they where even better than the real thing. One of the first I bought was Sunarise, a copy of Rolf Harris,s record. I think I made them all in to flower pot stands when they had done there job.

My comment whenever somebody played me a record I wasnt impressed with, most 'prog rock' stuff for example, was usually "It'd make a good ashtray"...

Wonder if it works with CDs as well..

Hi Keegs
the house of the rising sun was a fantasic record i have alot of erics records,
it was about is bringing up in the era of poverty with is parents and reflects on his life
of having nothink and wanted to change and further himself in life and make a better standard of his life
for his parents as well
when eric was growing up he got mixed up with some bad kids, and he got locked up
and was sent away to portland borstal and he spent some time there a year or two .
and when he was there he took the intrest in music and when he came out he formed a band
and they praticed and jammed around for a while then he formed another band later on
then they got there break .and he never looked back and made his name and changed his life
if you wonder how i knew he went to portlad borstal , i knew him through a cousin whom
i went out with her for a very long time, and we used to meet him quite often
especialy when he performed is gigs in brum and we spent time with him around the stage door coffee shop in dale end all nighter after his gigs along with his cousin discussing the family
the house of the rising sun ; brillient ; i still play it today and often take myself back in time in my mind
of my youth which was the best years of my life. as with every body else i surpose , we all reflect
and question our selfs did we take the right path in life or as some one said on the forum
recently-- what did you really want to do in your life, me i wanted to be a fire man , but i chose the army
have a nice day best wishes Astonian ;;
Thanks for all the info on Eric,I would have loved the chance to chat with him.That song was the first one I learned to play on the guitar.

Nobody going to own up to buying the cover versions on the red Embassy label from Woolworths then ??? They were only 4/- instead of 6/7d

I've got a couple somewhere I kept as curiosities. Surf City by the Typhoons, and a cover of Batchelor Boy, cant remember who by though. Didnt buy them new, just aquired them as you do ... honest !

Really close copies, makes you wonder who actually did them, anybody who's played in covers bands will know it aint easy to get that close, and in those days when you probably had to record almost 'live' it mustve taken a lot of ability if not actual talent.
Some of the people who sang and played on those recordings did quite well for themselves over the years.one of them was a guy who changed his name to Elton John,should have known he'd never get anywhere with a name like that.

Our very first record was bought by my brother when he was demobbed from the Army. He bought a radio gramm [which we still have in the loft] and the record - it was "Evening Shadows Make me blue" and think it was Ella Fitzgerald. [Can't remember the title, I was only 14.!!!] Miriam.

Our very first record was bought by my brother when he was demobbed from the Army. He bought a radio gramm [which we still have in the loft] and the record - it was "Evening Shadows Make me blue" and think it was Ella Fitzgerald. [Can't remember the title, I was only 14.!!!] Miriam.

Title was " My Happiness" and done by Connie Francis later also.

''The Folk Singer'' by Tommy Roe.....I swapped (didn't buy!) a three-coloured 'biro-type' pen for it.
Unfortunately, I had to play it on an ancient ''His Master's Voice'' wind-up gramophone which used steel needles (kept in a swing-out corner-box)....the volume was controlled by one of my old football-socks (Baggies!) rolled-up into a ball and stuffed into the sound box/cavity. It was more like a 'lathe' than a record player!

My first proper record, played on a more or less 'proper' record-player, was the Rolling Stone's 'Route 66'' album....to be followed by a couple of second-hand Phillips 'Rhythm and Blues' albums....and a copy of Dave Brubeck's 'Take Five' - brilliant! It was soooo cooool! :cool:

i think the song your'e referring to astonian, is WE GOTTA GET OUT OF THIS PLACE, THE HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN was adapted for the british
market by alan price,it was an old american blues song

Last edited:
Thanks for that Mike Humphreys - I remember the title now - it was my party piece for a long time. Miriam.

The first record I bought was Apache by the Shadows on the Columbia label. As a kid I had always fancied myself as a drummer, much to the consternation of my Mum who was always in my room looking for her wooden spoons that I had appropriated 'for practice' and when I heard Tony Meehan doing his thing behind his Gretsch kit I was an instant Shadows fan! At one time, in later years, I had an almost complete 1960 -70 Shadows collection, singles, EP's and LP's but they all disappeared during my divorce. Shame....downloading them to an i-pod these days just isn't the same!

I must have had a good week with pocket money. I bought three! Satisfaction/The Stones Bang Bang /Cher and Daydream/Lovin Spoonfull and yes I had a Dansette Monarch. But Twist and Shout by The Beatles is the most exicting record I ever heard.

Diana by Paul Anka was one of the first I bought. I was in his fan club and next to Elvis, he was the the best thing since sliced bread. I had a red and grey Dansette. I loved it. In the fifties, I used to lie in bed with Radio Luxenburg on a small radio. The reception was pretty grotty, but it was wonderful to hear all the records of the day, and the only way to hear them Does anyone remember standing in the booths in record shops to hear your favourite record before buying it? We would spend all Saturday afternoon listening. The first record my husband to be bought me was Only the Lonely by Roy Orbison. Even if I hear it today, it takes me back to two 17 yr olds starting out in life, without a care in the world.

hi pam
I remember that paul anka record of yours, and you being in the b,ham mail with the first "twist" hair style, I wonder if that photo is still in their archives.
love paul

Hello Pam, Diana was my first record I personally bought. yes I remember the booths in the record shops, wouldn't dream of buying a record before hearing it first. Listening to Radio luxemberg you heard all the latest records before they even reached our record shops here, I spent hours trawling around the record shops (no telephone in those days) to find some oscure record that may have never reached the charts. My favourite record shop was on Hawthorne road, cannot remember what it was called at the moment Happy Days

Hi Paul
I remember that hairstyle, and hope here isn't a photo of it in their archives!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did a lot of daft things then and that was one of them. It was done at a hairdressers in Suffolk Street, Bham. I used to go every week and come out a different colour. If you can't be stupid in your teens, when can you?????????

I used to go to a record shop somewhere on the Soho Road, Handsworth. If I remember rightly records were only about 1/6d. I also had a lot of Billy Fury records. He together with Joe Brown, Marti Wilde and various other artists were appearing at the Bham hippodrome, when my friends and I found out that they were going to be at the Springhill Ice Rink one afternoon. We skipped off work for the afternoon and went to the rink, and sure enough they were all there, wow!! Couldn't believe our luck. We followed then round the ice like puppy dogs. - Happy days.

I agree Pam, I had that photo of you in my wallet for ages showing everyone, also I can't remember where I heard you play your 1st record but I have a feeling you and Mick bought it to Weoley Castle. I also remember that you and Mick took me to the Ice rink for the 1st time as well.
paul

High Tide and Green Grass by(ep) by the Stones ,mainly because my 3 sisters were all Elvis,Cliff,i think it was a show of rebellion also it upset the old man "scruffy so an so`s,need an hair cut",which rang through our household every Thursday on TOTP.Soon went off the Stones when prog rock came to the fore,still into that genre now

The record I bought was in 1950, from Geo Green on Stratford Road, wait for it, "Evening Hymn and Last Post" by The Band of the Royal Military School of Music, Kneller Hall
I must have had a one track mind in those days Bernard

Back