• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

First Record Bought?

Hi Judy,
Red Ingle was a similar band as SpikeJones& the city slickers
remember "I cried at your wedding" & "you always hurt the one you love"
Crazy but I loved em

Dennis, one of my favourite records too, I have the whole LP "I went to your wedding".

[ame="https://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=K6DAj9hZZWo"]YouTube - I Went To Your Wedding[/ame]

[ame="https://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=MkvUav5-dqg"]YouTube - You always hurt the one you love by Spike Jones[/ame]

Last edited:
I can remember hearing this one on a children's radio programme on Saturday mornings in the 50s - but I've never seen it performed before!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvt4b_qwC_Q"]YouTube - SPIKE JONES & CITY SLICKERS - COCKTAILS FOR TWO - 1945[/ame]

What great stuff! I really enjoyed that and am now going to bed with a smile on my face :D Although I had heard the songs before I had never seen them performed. I thought Cocktails for Two was fantastic.

Cadeau
I Did see the band somany years ago
at the B'ham Hippodrome

Dennis, lucky you! I only remember them from the radio and cartoon films in the 40's & 50's. I've stopped collecting records now but if I see a Spike Jones that I haven't got it's hard to resist.:(

Harbourne
That Was A rilliant Record The Eve Of Destrution I Bought That
My First Record Was Winnie Attwell Bought From The LITTLE Record Shop Facing
Ansells Brewery In Park Rd And The Second One Was Michael Holiday The STORY Of
My Life Winnie Attwel On The Piano AND My AllTime Paul ANKA Dianna

Great thread Barry. Thanks for starting it. Music memory lane is an emotional trip many times because the songs take you right there. You may not have heard many of these songs for years and so it's double happiness if the songs meant anything to you back in the time.

Astonian: I really liked and still do "The Story of My Life".. The "Eve of Destruction" by Barry McQuire was so different to anything popular at that time. The record was longer than the usual records at that time I believe. They played that song over and over on the radio in Toronto in l965.

Hello,Does any-one remember the record shop in Witton Road.? It was owned by Peggy and Len, Len was a fireman at one time but he was very badley burned about the face, he and his brother made leather handbags somewhere in Aston. Our shop was next door but one so i got to hear all the latest records on release. I went to a party at their house one weekend and the men ended up playing golf with a club and some old 45s...Cat

that was the shop where i bought my "sun arise" first record by rolf harris.

it was mid 60`s.

was there a pet shop on the corner that had big vats of food which they used scoops to weigh out into bags? i seem to remember the strong smells as they served it.

chris

Just thought of another couple of my first records. "Lonely Pup", by the late, great, Adam Faith, & "Its Now Or Never" by Elvis. Its good to play these old 45s every once in a while. Barry.

In the early 60's I tried to get hold of a recording by Bob Dylan, any record would have been good, and asked in quite a few Brum record shops. They all said the same thing, "never heard of him". One record shop, I can't remember the name but it was on the Stratford Road opposite Stoney Lane, said that they would enquire and order one for me if they found anything. About 9 months latter I had a message off them that they had found a record of Bob Dylan and would I be interested in buying it.

Graham.

Nick, I too enjoyed that one when it came out, so if you where sad, you werent on your own. Cadeau, I think thats incredible that even in them days, no shops had heard of Bob Dylan. Amazing, Barry.

I seemed to start buying records seriously in 1954/55 and one of the first I bought in those years was Answer Me by Frankie Laine. Another was The Bandit by who? (Frankie somebody)

A bit later on was Sh-Boom by the Crewcuts. Also had Earth Angel/Ko-Ko-Mo by them as well.

I was very organised in those days and kept an A-Z of all my records - still have it :shocked:

my first record bought with my paper round money was cliffs living doll. how I loved that man.

It was Lonnie Donegan - Battle of New Orleans, I think but I no longer have it. In truth it was bought for me by my parents who (as I know they'll never read this) didn't realise I couldn't play it. Oh we had the gramophone, wind-up, only played 78rpms, and the weight of the arm turned the grooves a funny shade of white in seconds.

Odd thing was, I could never recall saying I even liked the skiffle sound at the time (or now).

Not quite the first but not far behind was Glad all over by The Dave Clark Five, nothing unusual about that except that it used to stick at the point where they sang

'and i'm feeling', 'and i'm feeling', 'and i'm feeling', 'and i'm feeling' well you get the idea anyway.

In the end i think i preferred it that way...

the first record I bought was a 10 inch LP by Frankie Laine called Mr Rythm, I was stationed in Hong Kong in early fifties and my wife had just joined me and we bought a record player and the record - and I still have it, the record that is, not the player !!! Eric

Wow Eric how lovely to still have the record. Frankie Lane was one of my Mom's favourites so I do remember him! You have some lovely memories thanks for sharing them!

Not quite the first but not far behind was Glad all over by The Dave Clark Five, nothing unusual about that except that it used to stick at the point where they sang

'and i'm feeling', 'and i'm feeling', 'and i'm feeling', 'and i'm feeling' well you get the idea anyway.

In the end i think i preferred it that way...

Reminds me of a time when Noel Edmonds had a problem with a 45 which I believe was called You Make Me Feel Brand New, by a male US vocal group where the lead singer looked like a chubby Richard Prior and sang with a ridiculously high falsetto. When the grooves went awry the normally annoying Mr Edmonds very quickly came up with..... "That was the stylus sticks, stylus sticks, stylus sticks, stylus sticks," etc (and if you don't get it, I'm not explaining it)

She Loves You by The Beatles. Bought on Walsall market, half way up on the right hand side for 6/8d. Mind you I can't remember what I did yesterday! Still got the record.

Perhaps surprisingly can't remember 1st LP bought or first pop concert went to, most people seem to be able to!

Bob

First one with a record token - remember them ? Wanna be your man by the Stones, just after Christmas 64 from Skidmores shop on Kingston Hill.

First one I paid for with me own money, My Generation. From the shop corner of Grange Rd / Wyatt St. Still got both of em.

The first record i bought was Carole King`s It might as well rain until September.
I bought it from a record shop in the High Street,Aston,then i went round to the Fish and chip
in Potters Hill and got some chips and i only rested my chips on the record and melted it
well it went all lopsided.I had that record for about 10mins.
Call me stupid if you like.
Carol

She Loves You by The Beatles. Bought on Walsall market, half way up on the right hand side for 6/8d. Mind you I can't remember what I did yesterday! Still got the record.

Perhaps surprisingly can't remember 1st LP bought or first pop concert went to, most people seem to be able to!

Bob
Hi Bob I had forgotten about the record stall on Walsall market! My first L.P was With The Beatles from Frost's in Sutton it was a Christmas present.

Back