• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

First Record Bought?

Of course kids dont buy music in shops nowadays , they just download it, or listen to it on the internet, or on one of the many music TV channels.

In 20 years time nobody will be able to remember the first song they bought.

Maybe they will say the first song they downloaded (but I doubt most will remember that either).

Mine was "Love is a many splendoured thing" by the Four Aces on a 78" from Martin's Electrics, Richmond Rd Stechford , five and threepence, 1955ish. Three thousand bezillion something later....Charlie Feathers' "That Certain Female" downloaded 10 minutes ago from itunes...R'n'R lives on! Go cat go....

Hello Pam, Diana was my first record I personally bought. yes I remember the booths in the record shops, wouldn't dream of buying a record before hearing it first. Listening to Radio luxemberg you heard all the latest records before they even reached our record shops here, I spent hours trawling around the record shops (no telephone in those days) to find some oscure record that may have never reached the charts. My favourite record shop was on Hawthorne road, cannot remember what it was called at the moment Happy Days

The booths were in a shop in Corporation Street near Harry Parkes' Sports shop - Oh Pleeze, stay with me DIYANNA by Paul Anka was 1956ish. I was probably there too in the next booth listening to Lonnie Donegan's first Album on 10"' vinyl... ....Brilliant times

One of my first records I Actually bought Myself cause my mom got me others ...was Rawhide by Frankie Laine ...I liked Wishbone & Rowdy Yates lol

Whadya wanna make those eyes at me for? Emile Ford. I ony had one and I wore it out. I can still sing it word for word!! How sad is that?

Mine was Ebony Eyes by the Everley Brothers and my best L.P's were Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys and Otis Blue by Otis Redding

i remember our dansette record player two toned green andlike a grey colour, the first record we heard on it was my brothers, you butterfly by charlie gracie, i think mine was hats off to larry by del shannon, and billy fury a thousand stars, oh sweet memories!

i remember our dansette record player two toned green andlike a grey colour, the first record we heard on it was my brothers, you butterfly by charlie gracie, i think mine was hats off to larry by del shannon, and billy fury a thousand stars, oh sweet memories!
:)Our Dansette record player was red/cream and the first records i remember playing on it,Get off my cloud,Stones,I'm Alive,Hollies
and a song i remember but can't find anywhere dont know the title ,but went like this,,,,,And a million drums couldn't make her
dance,and a thousand violins couldn't make her hold your hand,,:cool::MusicViolin04:
any idea

A quick 'google' came up with 'A Million Drums' by Tony Sheveton, although there were other versions, does that help?

Well THAT proves it to me. What FANTASTIC taste we all had in those days. If someone made a CD of the records featured in the above 132 posts it would sell a bezillion. The huge spectrum of voices and sounds is quite remarkable when judged against todays anodine gurglers. From the magic moment when I first saw Eddie Cochran do Twenty Flight Rock in "The Girl Can't Help It " at the Rock cinema, I have been totally hooked on Music with a capital M. Lady GaGA, Florence and the Machine etc all sound the same to me. I know. Old Fartdom lives. Everything tpday is a mixture of castrated males and outrageous looking females with massive dress problems. Thank the Lord I lived through the back end of Glen Miller at al, Johnny Ray - Guy Mitchell et al, R'n'R ( still my faves) Skiffle (The Vipers & Lonnie), Country, the 60's (Frankie Valli, Brumbeat, The Beatles, stones et al), and so on.... Wouldn't swap with anyone today.

Well THAT proves it to me. What FANTASTIC taste we all had in those days. If someone made a CD of the records featured in the above 132 posts it would sell a bezillion. The huge spectrum of voices and sounds is quite remarkable when judged against todays anodine gurglers. From the magic moment when I first saw Eddie Cochran do Twenty Flight Rock in "The Girl Can't Help It " at the Rock cinema, I have been totally hooked on Music with a capital M. Lady GaGA, Florence and the Machine etc all sound the same to me. I know. Old Fartdom lives. Everything tpday is a mixture of castrated males and outrageous looking females with massive dress problems. Thank the Lord I lived through the back end of Glen Miller at al, Johnny Ray - Guy Mitchell et al, R'n'R ( still my faves) Skiffle (The Vipers & Lonnie), Country, the 60's (Frankie Valli, Brumbeat, The Beatles, stones et al), and so on.... Wouldn't swap with anyone today.
:cool::MusicStereo02:We did didn't we:cool:

I think it was a cover version of an Elvis Presley song purchased from Woolworths. Why when I never liked E.P ? Perhaps I got It as A present for my sister though the likely hood is slim. The mists of time have made that dodgey purchase a mystery ( thank gawd ) .I never ever brought an Elvis record ever again.
Looking through the lists of singers and songs it is sad to think most are now dead, some died tragically young.The music business no longer covers the broad spectrum and all ages. Music aimed at older age groups is mostly rehashes of what went before. A never ending diet of repeats. Even new singers of the old style must make their names singing old, popular standards we have heard a hundred times before.
I mean no offence when I say that as the generations who remember the music of the 40s, 50s and sixties pass from the scene, then us soon to be oldies will be left with the music of the late 60s ,70s and eighties. Will this be remembered with such love and dare I say reverance. You had male singers with velvet voices and the females whose voices could melt or break your heart. Pop singers with easy lyrics and and beat that made you want to get up and dance, even if you did not have a partner. I have none stop ABBA to look forward too..............Aaaaaagggggghhhhhh.......... You may be getting off lightly going for the early bath after all, if you catch my drift.

Eee by gum Arkrite lad. Tha's a bit grumpy this mornin and negatitive like as hell as not? You not likin our Elvis gives it away a bit fer me. Perhaps you'd better have a lie down and a listen to good old Val Doonican or sumtink like that..? It's not just us oldies that keep music alive. My nipper is 34 and lives on Chuck Berry as much as his beloved Beastie Boys. Good music transcends all ages and time...

but went like this,,,,,And a million drums couldn't make her
dance,and a thousand violins couldn't make her hold your hand,,:cool::MusicViolin04:
any idea

Sounds like my wife,so this really belongs on another thread...only kidding...

The first record I bought was,the Tex Ritter version of High Noon...I think it was the last as well.:rolleyes:

That's the one bab.:)Another one that I remember well was Al martinos version of "here in my heart"still remember all the words to that one.(must have sang it in a thousand pubs).:rolleyes:
Didn't have any earlier records because we had no gramaphone,come to think of it... we had no electricity either.:cry:

Jenny,
Don't confuse me any more than I already am.:confused::confused:
I was quoting from a previous post by Elizabeth.but it might be what she is looking for.:)

I don't know the title of the first record I had but the top line was " Shepherd of the hills I hear you calling ''

It came free with an H.M.V. wind up gramaphone, complete with horn. ? ???????

Don't know who the vocalist was either.

Honest ! Betty Hopper.

I don't know the title of the first record I had but the top line was " Shepherd of the hills I hear you calling ''

It came free with an H.M.V. wind up gramaphone, complete with horn. ? ???????

Don't know who the vocalist was either.

Honest ! Betty Hopper.

Is this the one? lyrics only found thus far.

SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS
(Horatio Nicholls / Edgar Leslie)
Jack Hylton - 1927

When day is breaking and birds are awaking
I'm blue when the sun starts to beam
Night-time a-stealing is much more appealing
As I lay me down to dream
I see my homeland where love is supreme....

Shepherd of the hills, I hear you calling
Shepherd of the hills, when twilight falls
I seem to picture the black sheep returning
I miss the fold, and my sad heart is yearning
For the daffodils and crimson clover
By the rocks and rills I long to roam
Back to the near ones and dear ones who love me
Shepherd of the hills, I'm coming home

Over the highway as I'm wending my way
I look toward the house in the lane
There with her knitting I see someone sitting
She looks through the window pane
She knows her waiting has not been in vain....

Shepherd of the hills, I hear you calling
Shepherd of the hills, when twilight falls
I seem to picture the black sheep returning
I miss the fold, and my sad heart is yearning
For the daffodils and crimson clover
By the rocks and rills I long to roam
Back to the near ones and dear ones who love me
Shepherd of the hills, I'm coming home

Betty,:)
Even my dad don't remember that, and he asked me last week if I had made any plans for his hundredth birthday party:rolleyes:...honest !.
Ray.:)

Eee by gum Arkrite lad. Tha's a bit grumpy this mornin and negatitive like as hell as not? You not likin our Elvis gives it away a bit fer me. Perhaps you'd better have a lie down and a listen to good old Val Doonican or sumtink like that..? It's not just us oldies that keep music alive. My nipper is 34 and lives on Chuck Berry as much as his beloved Beastie Boys. Good music transcends all ages and time...

May be a spot liverish but mostly whistfull for the past and terrifide of what the BBC will feed my hearing trumpet with in the future. Their output is bad enough at the moment.Val Doonican is what I would like to escape from.Saw all his shows, seen all his cardigans. not a lot to say after that. Strange but Elvis was the only one of that era that i never liked. Perhaps his success with women I found difficult to handle at eight or so years of age, Funny to think I saw The Shadows on stage at some pantomine when a nipper yet they are still touring to packed houses.Good for them.
Anyway Denise I cannot hang around here shooting the breeze with you. Out there a public awaits my attempts to depress them to depths of untold misery. There, I feel better already.

Shepherd of the Hills .....

set that to Rap and you may be on to a catchy little number...go on try it .

Hello M.Humphreys,

Well Done " YOUNG MAN '' you didn't even have to think about that did you ? ?

Reckon that makes you about the same age as me ! { 35 and a bit }

That must be the one but I never got to play it all the way through.

It kept stopping and I had to keep winding the so - so thing up.

Never mind it gave me hours of pleasure

when I got a bit older I had a Garrard deck and 8 source line speakers. and I was able to play it
as loud as I liked when I ran the club.

HAPPY DAYS.

Betty Hopper

May be a spot liverish but mostly whistfull for the past and terrifide of what the BBC will feed my hearing trumpet with in the future. Their output is bad enough at the moment.Val Doonican is what I would like to escape from.Saw all his shows, seen all his cardigans. not a lot to say after that. Strange but Elvis was the only one of that era that i never liked. Perhaps his success with women I found difficult to handle at eight or so years of age, Funny to think I saw The Shadows on stage at some pantomine when a nipper yet they are still touring to packed houses.Good for them.
Anyway Denise I cannot hang around here shooting the breeze with you. Out there a public awaits my attempts to depress them to depths of untold misery. There, I feel better already.

Holy shellac Batboy. You were only eight when Elvis hit the cerebral cortex, and you were already worried about your pulling potential? Sheesh Arky lad, I hereby unreservedly offer my humblest and deepest apologies. I got you terribly wrong. Even Tiger Woods waited a LITTLE longer for the testosterone to kick in...allegedly.

However, it does make you a tad young musically to be mixing it with Chuck, Gene, Buddy and Jerry Lee etc in those early days I suppose, and I cannot fault Hank and the Shadows. But you think you gotta da problems? I was hideously and unashamedly exposed by cruel parents to the Stargazers, The Dallas Boys, Don Lang and the KING BROTHERS before I even had my first period!!! You lucky blighter missed them lot ok. Not to mention Charlie Drake and Bernard Bresslaw. Arghhh....My Boomerang Won't Come Back..

So now we understand each other betterer, you may go forth and depress us older more mature youths at your leisure, just don't come within a country mile of me in one of your Val Doonican sweaters. We'd both need a shilling for the gas meter then....( ; )

Denise

Back