• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Re: City Centre Photo Album

Two wonderful photographs bigmal.

Eric,

This is Gas Street Basin looking towards Brindley Place. I must go on one of the canal trips with a camera.

Ann

Attachments

• Footbridge Ar Gas St Basin.jpg
    Footbridge Ar Gas St Basin.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:

another view of Chamberlain Square as it used to be

Attachments

• City Chamberlain Square (12).jpg
    City Chamberlain Square (12).jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 30

ladywood, I like your sketches very much, particularly like the view point you chose for the Rotunda, great composition. THe other of the Post office is a subject you are lucky is still there. At one time Bham council wanted to demolish the building, there was quite an uproar, they finally agreed to retaining the facade and demolished the rear. If you go on to my members page I have an Album of paintings, some with a Bham interest

Hi Cookie, Have just visited your watercolours at Liberty 10.
They are excellent.
I think you handle water and winter very well.
All the best.

ladywood

and then i turned round and took a pic of this....how on earth the town planners thought it would blend in with the surroundings i will never know....you would think a bit more effort would have been put into it.....

lyn

Attachments

• Central Library.jpg
    Central Library.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 8

Lynn
You ask how the planners thought the library would blend in. Have you thought that perhaps they secretly expected all the other older buildings to be pulled down eventually, so they could build more like the library ant it would be one blending continuous mess ?
mike

mike i had not thought of that...if that was the case they came a tad unstuck...:D

what also gets my goat is the fact that a new library is now being built...wonder how long that one will last....it seems to me that any houses ....offices..pubs etc that were built in the 60s only have a life expectancy of about 50 years so where will our history be in say 150 years time....i shudder to think...

lyn:)

The latter buildings are unworthy replacements for the buildings that they replaced IMO. The interlocking stone walking ways are nice.
I wonder if anyone had considered refurbishing and extending the old 50s central library eastward. Using a modified Town Hall, again extending eastward and upward but retaining keynote Greek theme somwhat as a link to the past. All of the destroyed real estate could have been refurbished. Oh,

hi rupert...i think work has or is about to be started on building a new library about a 5 min walk from the existing one....

lyn

[quote ChrisM;187328]

Chris,
In case you missed it in the 'See Birmingham by Post Card' thread here is another view of New Street that I have, also showing King Edwards, but more of the shops opposite.
Mike

Attachments

• City New St KEGS.jpg
    City New St KEGS.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 23

Thanks very much, Mike - yes, I had missed it.

No sooner the word than the deed and it's been used, here !

Amongst other interesting things, it starts to date the arrival of overhead street lighting in New Street.

Chris

Chris m first time have looked at that site what an impressive building it was :(progress Mmm ?:(

Lynn
You ask how the planners thought the library would blend in. Have you thought that perhaps they secretly expected all the other older buildings to be pulled down eventually, so they could build more like the library ant it would be one blending continuous mess ?
mike
many a true word spoken in jest Mike:rolleyes: its called Forward planning:rolleyes:

2 photo's New St, and Digbeth.
I've spent many happy hours looking at all the old B'ham photos in various threads, and I think my favourite is the one in Bigmal's post Here
The lady walking past the Oyster Room in such a nice dress. Is that her boss in front and she's trying to keep up ? Is she out in her lunch hour to meet a friend, or is she rushing back to her job as a governess ? It must have been a sunny day, because further down the pavement another lady in a nice dress has a sunshade up, and those street lamps - must have looked good at night.
Lovely photo thanks.
oldmohawk

Last edited:
I also agree it was a great find of a photo, if only we could uncover a few more jems like that!!??

Went to the "Birmingham Seen Exhibition "today in the "Gas Room at the Central Art Gallery & Museum, I was a bit disappointed at the lack of old photos of town on display. The Entrance photo and a few others where very good and I had not seen them on this forum. They where printed in the Mail last week. There are a lot better photos on the BHF, perhaps we should get the Central Art Museum to display all our Old photos of Town and Brum!!

What a shame we seem to have lost all our great old photos of town on this thread as well. I do hope Postie and Warren can repair the damage at a later date for every one that has contributed.

Cancel our Exhibition to another time in the future.

Came across this untitled photo over in Wolverhampton recently. Can I assume it to be Corporation Street sometime in the 1960's? In which case I expect the New Victoria Hotel to be a completely different business nowadays?

Richie.

Attachments

• City Corporation St Warwick Passage.jpg
    City Corporation St Warwick Passage.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 27
Hi Richie,it looks like its on the corner of Corporation Street and Warwick Passage.
Moss.
Where abouts in Corperation St was that Moss? Whats the gents shop on the corner, As I'm not sure its either there or in New St.

Many thanks to Postie and Warren all the photos have returned! 3 Cheers lads
Look great don't they? I have missed them photos. Our proposed exibition at the Art Gallery, could be back on then, LOL.

Hello Bob,i'm only guessing at where the picture was taken.But i think the photographer was standing outside Yates's wine Lodge on Corporation St, and across the road is Warwick passage with the next road being Union Street.
Moss.

What a shame we seem to have lost all our great old photos of town on this thread as well. I do hope Postie and Warren can repair the damage at a later date for every one that has contributed.

There are plenty of places you can post pictures for free, like say Photobucket, then link to them in this forum.

For example here is a link to a picture held on Photobucket.

Anyone know where it is, and who it is ?

face.jpg

Lord Chamberlain ??......... He is sitting on the steps leading up to the Fountain in Chamberlain Square.
ragga .....

Cheers Moss for correcting me ........... is Mr Chamberlain up on a Statue in Chamberlain Square ??
ragga ..............

Back