• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Re: City Centre Photo Album

Looks like the Birmingham Repertory Theatre.

Ann

Other half, just one I'm afraid, once I had finished my series of paintings (6) I lost interest in retaining the photos.I took about a dozen, now only have 4 , any way here is the last one , you can jost discern the twin spires of St Chads in the distance. Spent many happy hours with painter friends sketching painting and photo taking in the 80s, lost all interest when they tarted it up I know a lot of menbers will like the modernization, but from a painters point of few it is now much less "painterly".

Attachments

• Bham%20Canal%20nr%20Lancaster%20St%20(2)[1].JPG
    Bham%20Canal%20nr%20Lancaster%20St%20(2)[1].JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:

Cookie,

Really enjoyed seeing your wonderful photographs.Thank you.

Ann

Cookie nice to see shame .. about the photos ...I know what you mean .."painterly". is one for the dictionary lol

ladywood, re my last letter, studying you first sketch again it as struck me it might not be the rotunda, if not where is it ??? Eric

Hi Cookie,

You are right. It's not the Rotunda.
It's a nondescript modern building somewhere around Newhall Street or Ludgate Hill looking back towards the city center.

ladywood

HI LADY WOOD
I Have Really Enjoyed Your Painting And Pictures And Brought Some Memorable Child hood Memories Of The Days We Rambled The Cut Virtualy Every Night Of The Week And Week Ends Fom Lady wood And Right Up To The Basin Even The Rail way Sidings And The Old Timber Yards I Reconised The One Where You Are Showing The Factory Wall When You Came Down The Steps At monument rd to get on the cut
there used to be cobbled stoned bricks [the old blue bricks] before they made it into a slope there was many a drowning there my young brother found one there many years ago the police came and the press he had is pic taken by the press pointing at the cut under the bridge emediately as you went down the slope if heading towrds winson green where the distance shot is of the wall on the tow path i fished out my mates young brother whom was five years old john aston,s little brother by the way the building on the far left would have been the westley assurances office
at the top of snow hill and bull street with conjunction of colmore row that was there long before they built up the mail offices
then they built the retonda later in years
should you want to dispose any of your pics or painting drop me a line have a nice day best wishes astonian;;;

Last edited:
old pics of New St & Digbeth

I've been given the two old photo's below of New Street and Digbeth.
Can anyone give me any info' about these please?

NewStreet.jpg

digbethoriginal.jpg

Thanks in advance. :)

Ann B have found another Canal Painting, Gas St basin again, this time looking in opposite direction to Broad St tunnel painted in 1988, this is the. Eric C

Attachments

• Gas%20St%20basin[1].JPG
    Gas%20St%20basin[1].JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:

maggie Q, Sorry all paintings in my Album have been sold at various exhibitions around the country except for Gas St Basin which I wish to keep. Eric

Re: old pics of New St & Digbeth

Hi,

I have to disagree Sue, I think the top photo was taken from the top of New St looking down, possibly the corner of Christshurch Passage (by Victoria Sq) and New St?
The second picture shows the corner of Rea Street and High Street Digbeth.

Macca

I think the first is the top of New St with the old Christchurch to the left. If you stood here now you'd be very close to the fountain looking down New Street.

The second is the corner of Rea St and Digbeth where the coach station is now (or will be shortly when it's been completed!)

The first picture is taken from the town hall end of new st, with the walls of christchurch just visible in the top left. The royal Birmingham society of Artists is the impressive columned building. It would have been taken before 1899, when the church was demolished. The oyster bar can be seen to be run by A Moore. Arthur more seems to have been there since some time between 1880 and 1882. The sign looks a bit old, so probably it’s the later half of that time. A photo exists dated 1890,(which date we can only assume is correct) which shows a big Bovril sign (which looks fresh and new) below the Billiards sign, which is not present in another dated 1895. This “Bovril” is not present in this photograph. Probably the best we can estimate is that it was taken between 1890 and 1899
Mike

Thank you Eric for the last photo of Gas Street Basin. My mom, as a young girl, used to visit a relative, who lived in one of the cottages there.

Ann

Great photos bigmal any more?
Can you put them also onto the City Photo Album thread?
Its great to see the peoples cloths and transport at that time, wonderfull!!

Great photos bigmal any more?
Can you put them also onto the City Photo Album thread?
Its great to see the peoples cloths and transport at that time, wonderfull!!

I wasn't sure where to post them, so I initially posted them here!
I assumed that it would soon be moved to the correct place???
If that can't be done, I'll re-post them as above.

Ann, have not been to Gas St since they started "improving"it. Are those lovely old cottages still there, or were the demolished with the rest ??? Eric

I recognise the RBSA Gallery, many times I have exhibited there as a member of the Bham Watercolour Society, some years ago the RBSA moved to Brook St by St Pauls Square in the jewellry quarter where they still are, but it lacks the atmosphere of the New Street Gallery

What a fine picture of New Street Bigmal. Have not seen that one before and one can see a few things that one did not know about. An oyster bar under the old Christ Church block wall so that gives some idea of the date. Before 1890s anyway, the church being still in place. In the distance it looks like construction work is being done on the Theatre Royal which burned down a couple of times. Can that be Collonade Hotel in view on the right with the round frontage. A beautiful quality print...long skirts and bowler hats, penny farthing and horses...and yet although some things had changed and none of us was around in 1880 or so, the scene could still be recognizable with 50s and 60s photographs of where we once walked and lived and belonged.

Bigmal - could I suggest you request Postie or another member of the admin team ot move the post rather than duplicate due to the possible bandwidth that could be involved?

What great photo's Bigmal, those street lamps in photo one are lovely, thanks for posting them.

Back