• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Re: City Centre Photo Album

And a few more to enjoy

Attachments

• 4 Bull St.JPG
    4 Bull St.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 5 Minories.jpg
    5 Minories.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 6 old square.JPG
    6 old square.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:

More of Others

Attachments

• 10 new 1.JPG
    10 new 1.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 7 corp.JPG
    7 corp.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 8 corp.JPG
    8 corp.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 9 new.JPG
    9 new.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 22

New Street and King Edward's again from an original held by the Birmingham Central Library.

Attachments

• City New St King Edwards Granmmar School.jpg
    City New St King Edwards Granmmar School.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 27

All of the modern buildings and views thereof are completely out of date allready IMO. The only quality... are a few shots from the past...Great Western Arcade...Minories, Cannon St., for example... these are in vogue now. Not the Rotunda which was a misfit from the start. Much of what was destroyed to produce the impersonal and uninteresting, low lifespan present, was valuable and refurbished would be a huge draw now. The rest you can see anywhere in the world; better (or more gross) and more impressive (read less so for me). There are far fewer people living in Brum now than there were in the 1950s and shopping in most larger cities is done in the shoping centres in the suburbs where parking is plentyful. I must be missing something here...maybe having a bad day. Thanks for the photo's they are much appreciated.

Has anyone seen any photos of when people used to live in Birmingham City Centre in the 1800s ? eg Water St, Henrietta St ?

Great photos bobsummers. I for one like the city as it is now. Better then it was in the 60s/70s.
We should all be out there,snapping away for future generations.

Bob. Great pictures, and thanks for taking the time and effort to do that. One thing that stands out to me right away is, where are all the people? When I lived in Brum, you couldnt move in the city centre for folk. In you r photos there are only a handful. But it is great to see how the place has changed. I t looks very smart, and unfortunately, I dont know where any of the pictures where taken. That just shows how long it is since I was last home. Barry.

Re: City Center Photo Album

Bob. Great pictures, and thanks for taking the time and effort to do that. One thing that stands out to me right away is, where are all the people? When I lived in Brum, you couldnt move in the city center for folk. In you r photos there are only a handful. But it is great to see how the place has changed. I t looks very smart, and unfortunately, I dont know where any of the pictures where taken. That just shows how long it is since I was last home. Barry.

Bazz it was 10am on a very dull Monday morning, my journey started at the front of Snow Hill station, turn left then right to where Lewis's old store was and is now a block of Law Offices and then into the Gap called "The Mineries" view over the "Old Square" looking down Corporation St. towards the law courts and old Harry Parks sport shop, then back to the front of Rackhams looking down Corporation St towards the junction of New St. and across to union St. and the old C&A store.

Great photos bobsummers. I for one like the city as it is now. Better then it was in the 60s/70s.
We should all be out there,snapping away for future generations.

Thanks Froth I quite agree its makeing history for the future and our folks abroad or who cannot get to our city center can appreciate the current views of our great city. Worts and all.
So commmmmmmonnn!!!!!! lets post a few more photos taken by our forum members.
After all this is a "Photo Album" thread!

I supose that thinking about what was is not the point any more but this is a history site after all and one can't help but have some opinion about what has happened. I think also that having the fifties/early sixties format frozen in ones minds eye does not help in acceptance. Sure there was room for many changes but they have trashed some of the best and most valuable properties anywhere. I passed by the buildings in the link below every weekday on the way to and from school.
https://62.105.110.193/extras/public.bhtml?library=10032 (type Temple Row in the search)

They were built in 1700s and were an integral part of the surroundings there and complemented the Gt Western Arcade. Immensly valuable and historic buildings and comforting in a human sense too. Portrayed in old paintings of St Phillips Square which have been shown on this site...Trashed for Rackhams. I'm sorry, whilst the old city needed work; it certainly did not need what transpired. I think most of the new structures are horrid and maybe there is a line of reason in these musings. They are structures and not buildings with warmth that you can come to identify with as being part of your life. New and clean does not always mean better. Not for me anyway.

Personally I preferred the 1940'50s Bullring I thought it oozed characture, but we are all diffeent

I agree, the spirit,personality and character has left Brum. It lacks a certain warmth it once had. Yes, it is clean and modern, but I don't feel as though I come home anymore. Possible they went too mad with the changes they made.

Maggs.

I think they could have worked harder with more planning, and incorporated both. To much history has gone and cannot now be replaced. I find it very sad.
Jan

I think they should have concentrated more on restoration and less on demolition. To me Birmingham differs very little from any other city centre now. little alleys have disappeared, the beautiful old library,the old bullring market Hall all shouted Brum.
Perhaps at 78 yo I'm an old fuddy duddy living in the past but to see all the places I loved gone saddens me

I think they should have concentrated more on restoration and less on demolition. To me Birmingham differs very little from any other city centre now. little alleys have disappeared, the beautiful old library,the old bullring market Hall all shouted Brum.
Perhaps at 78 yo I'm an old fuddy duddy living in the past but to see all the places I loved gone saddens me

It's not you Cookie; i'm 55 and have an uphill struggle trying to explain to folks younger than me whom I meet what a heritage has gone before our very eyes to be replaced with....what?

Its not just Birmingham either. One of my work-exchange cities over the years internationally is Kingston,Jamaica where the 1970's saw a flattening splurge of all the historic New Orleans type structures as if tourists now would make the effort to travel to see skyscrapers just like in the cities where they came from!

However they still have a pick n'mix counter at Woolworths in Kingston having been bought out from the original company some 20 years ago, although the red and gold lettering was trashed only a few years ago in favour of the modern design which was the last to be used here in England.

Richie.

Bob. Many thanks for the run down on where the pics where taken. Now I have some idea. Barry.

Fist time I've seen the old Girl with music, but nice
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCNH_TC1A8A&feature=related"]YouTube - Birmingham City Centre Skyline (Nov 2007)[/ame]

If its the word page could somene move it please

I supose that thinking about what was is not the point any more but this is a history site after all and one can't help but have some opinion about what has happened. I think also that having the fifties/early sixties format frozen in ones minds eye does not help in acceptance. Sure there was room for many changes but they have trashed some of the best and most valuable properties anywhere. I passed by the buildings in the link below every weekday on the way to and from school.
https://62.105.110.193/extras/public.bhtml?library=10032 (type Temple Row in the search)

They were built in 1700s and were an integral part of the surroundings there and complemented the Gt Western Arcade. Immensly valuable and historic buildings and comforting in a human sense too. Portrayed in old paintings of St Phillips Square which have been shown on this site...Trashed for Rackhams. I'm sorry, whilst the old city needed work; it certainly did not need what transpired. I think most of the new structures are horrid and maybe there is a line of reason in these musings. They are structures and not buildings with warmth that you can come to identify with as being part of your life. New and clean does not always mean better. Not for me anyway.

I couldn't agree more.
Out goes the baby with the bath water.
It is a kind of historical and architectural illiteracy that seems to beset Birmingham in particular.
Look at what was. Fine Georgian houses on the Hagley Road demolished for mediocre offices. A fine Victorian Central Library demolished for a grey inverted monolith.'
Apparently our new Central Library leaks when it rains, with the archive section on the top floor???
Do you think Birmingham will ask Frank Gehry to build the new library?
We should.
Gehry or Foster or Pei, might be a start.
It's just a question of imagination.

ladywood

Fortunately, a few of those traditional black and white Georgian houses in George St West were saved, but not before a whole row of them had been demolished. When we went to visit the restored back to backs in the city centre, it seemed as though they had saved quite posh ones to me. I said the the gentleman taking us around that the ones we lived in where nowhere near as wonderful as these. We had a cellar, with awful cellar steps going down out off the scullery (which, as someone said, was about as wide a belfast sink). There was one living room above the cellar, one bedroom above that then an attic which had so many slates missing, it rained in. Who were those awful landlords we used to pay rent to? Where I live now, houses equally as old have all been done up, and it is still possible for people who were born here to go back and look at their streets and houses. Not so in Brum. No one seems to have any photo's of Moreton St., off Carver St.

Maggs

Maggs.

Guys and gals can I point out that this thread is a photo album for old and new buildings in Birmingham City Center, Good or Bad, Beautiful or ugly.
I have no objection to your comments but should they be on an alternative thread?
I started this thread to give people pleasure in a factual visual theme, that members that are unable to visit personally can look at.

I think that this thread can accomodate both pictures and comments surely. It's not that the pictures are not apreciated but otherwise maybe comments would be limited to ooohs and aahs or possibly arrghs from more than a few. What's the problem? Debate is good is it not and the debate here is hardly not relevent to the subject at hand. Anyway I will retire from this thread with my memories of a city that I grew up in and loved warts and age and all.

Guys and gals can I point out that this thread is a photo album for old and new buildings in Birmingham City Center, Good or Bad, Beautiful or ugly.
I have no objection to your comments but should they be on an alternative thread?
I started this thread to give people pleasure in a factual visual theme, that members that are unable to visit personally can look at.

Totally agree Bob
I'm in the City Saturday. I'll have my camera and maybe my camcorder so look out for loads of pics on this thread.

Last edited:
Re: City Center Photo Album

I think that this thread can accomodate both pictures and comments surely. It's not that the pictures are not apreciated but otherwise maybe comments would be limited to ooohs and aahs or possibly arrghs from more than a few. What's the problem? Debate is good is it not and the debate here is hardly not relevent to the subject at hand. Anyway I will retire from this thread with my memories of a city that I grew up in and loved warts and age and all.

Rupert I do agree with you!

I welcome comments or memories on specific photos of buildings that are posted on this photo album thread.

But the bigger question of has Birmingham planning department ruined our old city center buildings deserves its own thread for discssion by the forum members. I read and agree with most of your comments and welcome this debate? If indeed our planners and architects take much notice of rank and file people like this forum. I wonder if they even read comments on the BHF??

...Gas st basin as it used to be

Attachments

• City Gas St Basin .jpg
    City Gas St Basin .jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 42

I think one of these is Gas Street today, I just loved the canals. Mo

Attachments

• Gas_Street_Basin_towards_Mailbox[1].jpg
    Gas_Street_Basin_towards_Mailbox[1].jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Gas_Street_Basin_towards_Brindleyplace[1].jpg
    Gas_Street_Basin_towards_Brindleyplace[1].jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 20

Sakura, Yes, the new renovated Gas St basin looks very clean and modern but I preferred it as it was, as a keen amatuer painter it was one of my favourite subjects but not any longer, it seems to have lost something

nice pictures Mo, lol Cookie if you could why not post a couple of your paintings of Gas st etc I am sure it would be appreciated

Some photos taken today in sunny Brum
1.Looking to town from Digbeth.
2.Digbeth Police Station. (Couple of nights in there in my youth)
3. The new coach station being built.
4. Saint Martins
5. Reflection of Selfridges.

Attachments

• digbeth.JPG
    digbeth.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Digbeth_Police_Station[1].jpg
    Digbeth_Police_Station[1].jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Midland Red Depot.jpg
    Midland Red Depot.jpg