• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

can you place any forum issues in here after the rebuild

think i found the cause.. we use ECC memory its a server based memory that has error correction built in (our pc/laptops dont have this)
Its quite expensive to get and we have 2GB doesnt sound like a lot but for running a site its plenty.

we use linux as the host OS and the SWAP file was off for some reason so when the backup kicked in we essentially ran out of memory and the DB went into self protection mode and shutdown.

I have now enabled a 1GB SWAP file so fingers crossed this shouldnt happen again.

to put the memory into context my work servers which host the universities entire finance package only has 4GB of Ram

if this doesn't work ill create a docker image of MYSQL and move to that instead of MARIADB
if anyone gets an error can you please screenshot it for me

think i found the cause.. we use ECC memory its a server based memory that has error correction built in (our pc/laptops dont have this)
Its quite expensive to get and we have 2GB doesnt sound like a lot but for running a site its plenty.

we use linux as the host OS and the SWAP file was off for some reason so when the backup kicked in we essentially ran out of memory and the DB went into self protection mode and shutdown.

I have now enabled a 1GB SWAP file so fingers crossed this shouldnt happen again.

to put the memory into context my work servers which host the universities entire finance package only has 4GB of Ram

if this doesn't work ill create a docker image of MYSQL and move to that instead of MARIADB
oky doky:grinning:

have moved the db to MYSQL i havent been impressed with mariadb

as always please let me know if you see or experience issues, im not around all the time so i rely on you guys for updates

Last edited:

Whatever that means, thank you. :D

Steve.

As you've asked for screenshots here's one from about 15 mins ago when I couldn't get in here.

Screenshot (135).png

Got this earlier

This page isn’t working

bhamtest.birminghamhistory.co.uk is currently unable to handle this request.

sorry about the downtime over the last 12 hours or so, ive added an extra 2gb of data and some more HDD space we should be good now

just copied the database to a test one, im about to install xenforo version 2.3 its a massive change but its in beta but i thought as we have the space now i might as well do it

Last edited:
After the above message was posted I sent a PM. I edited it to add some info I forgot. The message has since vanished completely. Neither version exists.

After the above message was posted I sent a PM. I edited it to add some info I forgot. The message has since vanished completely. Neither version exists.
it may have happened as i copied the DB you were just unlucky with the timing.

have a play with the above test version of the site all

it may have happened as i copied the DB you were just unlucky with the timing.

have a play with the above test version of the site all
I am confused - not difficult where technology is concerned. :D
Why do we need a test site? If I post on there do I then have to repost on the main forum? I understand we had a test area on the forum but not a whole site.
Please explain in simple terms. Thanks

I am confused - not difficult where technology is concerned. :D
Why do we need a test site? If I post on there do I then have to repost on the main forum? I understand we had a test area on the forum but not a whole site.
Please explain in simple terms. Thanks

for upgrades, its not wise to run upgrades on a live site without testing, this way we can test new versions of the software without any danger to the main site. measure twice cut once

Back