• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

can you place any forum issues in here after the rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
its still happening...will leave it at that for now until warren gets chance to comment

DUPLICATION OF POSTS
later_today_at_x warren
GENERAL DISCUSSION (non-Birmingham history)
Threads
Astoness
can you place any forum issues in here after the rebuild
later_today_at_x Astoness
EVENTS AND MEET UPS
Threads
Astoness
Invictus Games 2027 in Birmingham
BIRMINGHAM NEWS
Threads
Astoness
save the wellingtons cats
DONATE
Threads
Server crash and your donations
later_today_at_x Richard Dye
BrumBay
Threads
superdad3
Re: ‘Forgotten Brummies: the men and women who shaped today’s Birmingham, who are now largely forgotten’
later_today_at_x superdad3
Information Sources
History Podcasts & MP3 Links
Threads
Martyn
Birmingham Surrealists
later_today_at_x Martyn
Carl's Brummagem Magazine
Threads
Transport.
later_today_at_x embley
Recommended Reference Books and CD's
Threads
Articles: The Iron Room, Birmingham Libraries. Recent Articles
Genealogy & Family History
Genealogy News & Discussion
Threads
Pat Sattar-Jennings
D.N.A. TESTING
later_today_at_x Pat Sattar-Jennings
Occupations
Threads
Button factory
Help, advice, tips and tricks!
Threads
Back to Backs, Courts and Houses and Street Names
later_today_at_x Diana Kinchin
Surname Interests
Sub-forums
Threads
Astoness
Kimberley .Do you know?
Churches
Sub-forums
Threads
mikejee
Temporary churches, prefabricated churches, tin tabernacles, iron churches, iron chapels
later_today_at_x mikejee
Homes Hospitals Workhouses
Sub-forums
Threads
RRJ
Sanitorium Little Bromwich Hospital Yardley Green Road Yardley Road
later_today_at_x RRJ
Your Family Website
Threads
Looking for natalie

It is all fine for me on phone or laptop. Ads appearing top and bottom but not anywhere else.
I do not use an ad blocker

Last edited:
I have been reading discussions in other places about advertising. Apparently some big sites have crunched the numbers. Free + adverts, versus subscription and no adverts. They made more money (per user) from free + adverts because agencies pay per advert delivered to eyeballs, but too many (often irrelevant) adverts causes people to roll out the adblockers, or stop using the websites, even though they are free. The issue is that to put the subscription at a rate that covers the loss of advertising revenue causes a loss of subscriptors. So we have adblocker detectors on sites, or subscription + some reduced level of adverts (:rolleyes:). Rock, meet hard place.
I doubt that this site, being run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts, is run as a profit centre, and breaking even would probably be sufficient. But some costs still have to be met for us all to be here.
Andrew.

You make useful and sensible points, Andrew. I think, however, that any further discussion here on the principle of advertising may not be appropriate. Two reasons:

First, decisions on advertising/funding are down entirely to the owner and the only involvement by members and Moderators is when such decisions appear to need the benefit of opinions from us - the worm's eye view, so to speak. And/or when they clearly lead to serious implications in the way in which the Forum operates. In the latter case they might inadvertently conflict with one of the main Forum aims - constantly in the mind of Moderators - which is for us to exist as an agreeable, accessible and tidy place to visit and contribute to, at the same time being as encouraging as possible to existing members and to potential new ones.

And second, we need to keep this particular thread concentrated on Warren's original request for heads-ups when any of us identify, after recent technical problems, something within the Forum which we feel is not as it should be. Hence most of the previous posts and my very recent one.

(Just to reinforce what I requested earlier. Adverts intrude for me WITHIN threads in the way I have described, all threads, whether I am viewing them on Apple devices or a Windows p.c. For more than one reason, I do not use an ad blocker and do not currently intend to).

Chris

Just sent a photo attachment from my library. I am using Ipad Pro. I have done this many times before and it has been easy. This first time with a new system. It is very unresponsive and leaves me uncertain if I have completed the task. Does anyone else have difficulties? Tinpot

(outstanding matter?? other members reported not a problem but is this still a difficulty, Tinpot?)

Just sent a photo attachment from my library. I am using Ipad Pro. I have done this many times before and it has been easy. This first time with a new system. It is very unresponsive and leaves me uncertain if I have completed the task. Does anyone else have difficulties? Tinpot
I have sent using my iPad and iPhone with no issues, I will double check.

This thread has been going on for a long time - it has been useful and almost certainly remains relevant but it is unwieldy, has drifted off topic and is a bit of a mess. It is therefore going to be closed for further comment and will be replaced by a new one entitled "Forum Issues After The System Rebuild - August 2024 and Later".

With a couple of recent exceptions it seems as though the problems raised over the last few months have probably all been dealt with. But if any member still has difficulty, could they please repost the problem in the new thread. And that thread is also the place for anything new which arises from now onwards.

(Please note that difficulties which arise as a result of adverts remain valid topics for the new thread – but the general PRINCIPLE of advertising and fundraising, as explained earlier, is not an appropriate subject for discussion).

This change will, we hope, make it easier for Warren to become quickly aware of problems and give them his attention.

Thanks.

Chris

(outstanding matter?? other members reported not a problem but is this still a difficulty, Tinpot?)
Thanks Warren. Uploaded today and the site worked as it used to.Tinpot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back