• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barr Beacon

• Thread starter Thread starter Frantic
  • Start date Start date
I have a lovely old book on the history of Wilkinson and Riddell. My brother worked there in the 70's.

Hi Wendy

I think I may have seen the book you are referring to. A history of W & R produced by the company itself. There is a copy in the Central Library which I had a look through.

There are a couple of second hand copies showing on the internet and I am going to order one.

If you don't mind me asking - which part of the company did your brother work in? From the pictures in the book it seems they had what was virtually a department store in the City Centre. Although they are line drawings so there might be a bit of "artistic license" going on there.

I noticed it said in the book that earlier in the 20th century they had a whole hostel to accomodate members of staff.

I imagine this a company known by many Birmingham people - but was starting to have a lower profile by the time I arrived in the Midlands??!!

T

Opening day of Barr Beacon 21st April 1919,
A small area of the summit was set aside for a permanent memorial to the memory of those from the Staffordshire and Warwickshire, who gave their lives in the First World War.

Dave great photo. Carl was on radio WM this morning and stated that Kingstanding Barr Beacon was the highest point in Brum. I thought it was by the Hawthorns and Patty said Clent is higher. I was always told by aunt Phyl from Leyton close as a child that the Beacon is the highest point between here and Russia. Any facts on the matter?. Jean.

GG Thanks been looking for that pic for about two weeks,
that might be true about Russia, has been said many a time Dave

Hello GG Jean, I was always told that Bar Beacon was the highest pint around this area - also that It was where fires were built for the Queen's Jubil - Beacon indeed,

Also a tale I remembered was that ' all people were sent to Kingstanding area who suffered from TB.

Miriam

Sorry Miriam, but I can't help saying it: If you had a drink on Barr Beacon, it certainly would be the highest pint around !1
mike

Were there any anti-aircraft guns on Barr Beacon in WWII? - as there were on the high ground near to Hill Top Golf Course. (i.e. not far from the Hawthorns)

You would have thought such guns would have gone on the highest ground possible - but I am still inclined to think Barr Beacon is higher.

Ordnance Survey maps in the Central Library should easily prove it one way or the other.

I did a similar exercise once to prove that the Hawthorns was highest Football League ground in the country. I see to recall it beat Oldham Athletic by just a few metres.

T

Tacitus that was said on the one show that indeed it is the highest football club in the country. The other very high point is Clee Hill and the pub is called the Kremlin. Jean.

I could see Barr Beacon from my North facing bedroom, or should I say boxroom! I could see the Dome quite well. I also remember seeing some trees there as well.

There was a gun battery on Barr Beacon in WW2 : https://www.aldridge-web.com/listings/67.html

There are references to Barr Beacon having an uninterrupted view of the Ural Mountains in Russia also. The one on this Walsall site says there was a plaque attesting to this fact on the site but it kept on getting stolen.
https://www.answers.com/topic/walsall

Hi Jennyanne. Just got back from the beacon and it's blowing a gale although the dog loved it. He found a rabbit hole with fresh droppings and couldn't get him away. We always keep him on an extended lead incase he disappears down one one day. We called at the egg farm Wrights [photo back a few pages] I went round the back to see the horses as usual and we then called in at the butchers. Bought some neck of lamb sausages beef burgers [home made] and pork of different cuts. I asked the butcher if the next doors sheep had gone to market as they had gone or were they in barns. He smiled and said "you've got a piece of one in your bag". Charming I thought. His son cuts the pork [pigs] when they have been slaughtered but he will not cut off their heads. He can't stand to look into their eyes. I have put the lamb in the freezer for a later date as I can't face cooking it at the moment. Daft hey. Jean. If you want any photo's of anywhere in the area let me know for next time. Jean.

Have just googled black country as an urban park and in there it states that Barr Beacon is indeed the highest point in the West Midlands. It has a panoramic view of Dudley Shropshire etc so we are the tops in something. Blooming cold up there though. Jean.

The beacon is on the horizon when i look out of my bedroom window although it's 5.5miles away as the crow flies.

Our friends live Dudley way Chucka and can also see the beacon from their house. There were only a few people with dogs there today [and a hundred more times dog poo's] amd a few parked cars. Jean.

Thats the trouble with the Beacon GG, dog crap, you cant sit on the grass without finding it on your clothes, tend to stick to the path now, there should be a dog warden up there to fine a few offending owners then perhaps it would stop.

Suppose the council would say that would be too expensive. Do see patrol cars quite often so I suppose they could give on the spot fines. Jean.

Also called into Red House Park today, Pics sometime, work is being carried out on the Red House

Hi Jean:

Nice to read about your visits to Barr Beacon and surrounding areas
also the descriptions of the meat that you are able to buy. The home grown meat is so much better.

I will have a visit to Barr Beacon next time I come over. I am looking forward to it.

Red House Park, The Obelisk,
Obelisk Appeal
The Friends would like to restore the Obelisk in the park which is believed to be in memory of Princess Charlotte. The Obelis originally had a tablet affixed with a long Latin inscription, but during a period in which the house was used as a sanatorium for Birmingham children the tablet became damaged and no longer there. The Friends of Red House Park are seeking information on what the original inscription said so it a new plaque can be re-created - contact us if you know the wording.
Following an appeal in the Black Country Bugle there has been a reponse from a Joseph Aston of Townsville, Queensland, Australia who lived in Great Barr in the 1930's. His recollection was that there was a stone plaque in the recess at the bottom of the obelisk and at least part of the inscription was in English and was in memory of Princess Charlotte, possibly with a date in Roman numerals. Any further details would be welcomed.

Red House Obelisk
The obelisk first attracts the curiosity of the visitor to Red House Park, and it is in this respect that many strange stories are passed on to the effect that, the memorial was erected to the memory of a horse. It is quite possible this story gained some amount of credence as a result of the Red House being often, and wrongly, associated with Great Barr Hall, where there are a number of memorials to family pets. The name of Scott has been associated with both these estates, and this has often led to the misunderstanding that the families were related.
The Monument is shown on the 1890 map as being "in memory of Princess Charlotte". Princess Charlotte, the only child of the Prince Regent and presumed heir to the British throne died in childbirth in November 1817.

Red House Park down at the bottom, these tunnels, I believe the same as in the 50`s, used to play around these.

Great photo's Dave. I have many happy memories of playing there with my cousin in the early 60's.

GG from the Pheasey, to Scott Arms, turn right, first left, right then a left down Hill Lane,

on page 46 AZ, mind you my latest book is dated 1995 Dave

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqTKlqvWrkA"]YouTube - BARR BEACON, NEAR WALSALL / BIRMINGHAM[/ame] Video of Barr Beacon. Len.

Back