• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barr Beacon

Wendy thanks remember it like that, spent a lot of time up there and in the quarry, looks like the Visitor Centre is out the door

Councillor Adrian Andrew, Walsall Councils cabinet member for regeneration, confirmed in September 2008 that the plan to build a visitors centre on Barr Beacon has been abandoned following the failure of the funding bid (see more info below). Councillor Adrian Andrew, who is also Chairman of the Barr Beacon Trust said " The application has been withdrawn because the Black Country was unsuccessful in the bid for the Peoples Millions to create the Black Country Urban Park. As a trust working with the council and other partners we remain committed to improving Barr Beacon

Another of our lovely landmarks going to fall in to ruin. The last time we went up there it was full of glass and dog mess.........such a shame!

Last edited by a moderator:
wow used to go up there on our motor cylcles, way back in the late 50 tswas realy Barr Beacon then

Lydfordcastle a bit regargding the Memorail Dave

The Council shall maintain and keep in repair the Memorial
erected on Barr Beacon in the year 1932 to commemorate the
men and women of the Counties of Warwick and Stafford who​
gave their lives in the Great War of 1914 to 1918.”

More info Dave
The recent improvements cost just under £2,000 and are part of a wider £24,000 grant funded project, secured in November 2007, that will also pay for the cleaning of the War Memorial, the replacement of its panoramic disc and a new nature trail leaflet.

Last edited:
Went up Barr Beacon on Monday and called into the farm shop. There is also a butchers and craft shop. If you fancy venison they have that as well as your usual Christman fare. Did take a photo of next weeks dinner walking about in the field but the photo didn't turn out. Well worth a visit and a tot at the Cat and Fiddle on the way home. [Just one].

Here are the other two photo's that wouldn't attach of Beacon Farm. These were also taken on Monday. Jean.

Thanks G G wonder where the area was the old prints based on, might be Great Barr Hall or Red House ? ?
Dave

Hi. Was on the Beacon yesterday and although wintery the views from there were good. Went into Cat and Fiddle and eight of us had our first Christmas Lunch two dinners for £7. 00. and it was very good.

A friend took his metal detector [some years ago] up there and came away with a small tin of "Snowfire Face Cream" - how old was that? M.

Hi Al will second that. We go to the Cat twice a week and is excellent value. Normally go Tuesday about three and Friday but were too busy this week. Lover to walk over the Beacon with our little dog. Jean.

During the 50s, there used to be what was left of a large cylinder Sieve, last time there April 2007, all gone and a lot of saplings growing, just off the Pinfold Lane, motor bikes used the site as well.

Dave I'm sure that's where I would take my horse it was at the back of Foxhills field wasn't it. We used to catch frogs and newts there too in a small pool. Jean.

GG unable to remember a field name, yes there was some water there and Newts, used to spend hours up there Dave

Dave, I remember that old quarry site with the remains of the quarry workings, used to climb all over them, its no wonder that they are no longer there. It was a great spot to try your hand at scrambling on our old push bikes. took our life in our hands on some of the almost vertical slopes.

Goffy

Great photo Dave. The other is the place where I went with my cousin Arther Evans and his neighbour from Leighton close with the surname Southall. Can't remember his first name but he had a sister by the name of Jannice. Brings back childhood memories. We took the frog and newt we caught and I remember the frog jumping out of the jar and down aunt Phyls drain never to be seen again. Jean.

Just got back from Beacon farm [butchers] and the pigmy goat that was knocked down by what must have been a blind motorist and drove off leaving her in the lane died last week. Have to break it to the grandhildren as they have been feeding her since they were tiny. She was checked out by a vet but could have been shock. Jean.

The other day I happened to be reading the 1931 obituary of Lt-Col J H Wilkinson - a wealthy Birmingham businessman of the firm Wilkinson & Riddell Ltd. (Don't ask!!!)

Included in the obituary was the following statement:

In 1918 he presented to the public Barr Beacon and the adjoing land, with an area of about 150 acres, the trustees including the Lord Mayor of Birmingham and the Mayors of Walsall and Suton Coldfield. The only conditions he attached to the gift was that the trustees, in conjunction with the Lord Lieutenants of the counties of Stafford and Warwick, should have power to erect on the Beacon a memorial, to be provided by subscription, or otherwise, in memory of the men and women belonging to the two counties who fell in the Great War.
That may be common knowledge to people who live in the area - but I hadn't heard it before.

MB

Thanks Tacitus Yes local, Dave

The Council shall maintain and keep in repair the Memorial
erected on Barr Beacon in the year 1932 to commemorate the
men and women of the Counties of Warwick and Stafford whogave their lives in the Great War of 1914 to 1918.”

The recent improvements cost just under £2,000 and are part of a wider £24,000 grant funded project, secured in November 2007, that will also pay for the cleaning of the War Memorial, the replacement of its panoramic disc and a new nature trail leaflet.

Thanks Dave,

It's interesting that it took them until the 1930's to erect the War Memorial - but better late than never!

I am a bit embarrassed to say that I have never been to the top of Barr Beacon.

Is the domed structure pictured on this thread the war memorial?

Is there some other tall structure nearby i.e. a pillar or obelisk. I just seem to recall something you can see from quite a distance away - or did I imagine that!!??

T

Tacitus here`s the info Dave

The Memorial as pictured above appears to sit on a grass mound, which conceals what used to be a cricular stone terrace which ran all around the midpoint of the memorial and included stone pillars with heavy ornate link chains. In the 1970's there was concern that the base and pillars were unstable and concrete was poured to prevent any movement, this was then banked up with soil and turfed over with hundreds of daffodill bulbs planted, by Aldridge Brownhills Urban District Council
The circular stone plinth at the very top shows evidence of the brass plate dedication by Colonel Wilkinson who gave the Beacon as parkland for local people. There was a heavy gun metal engraved map mounted on the round stone plinth which showed the visible panorama across several counties. sadly, the map, dedication plate and ornate hand rails, which slotted into the pillars, were all stolen overnight in the 1970's. Barr Beacon is the highest point in the West Midlands set in 240 acres. It offers a stunning 360 degree panorama over Shropshire, the Black Country, Birmingham, Staffordshire and Cannock Chase, and is a popular area for walking, cycling, kite flyers, horse riding, or just a leisure day enjoying the views and perhaps an icecream.

Thanks Dave,

It's interesting that it took them until the 1930's to erect the War Memorial - but better late than never!

I am a bit embarrassed to say that I have never been to the top of Barr Beacon.

Is the domed structure pictured on this thread the war memorial?

Is there some other tall structure nearby i.e. a pillar or obelisk. I just seem to recall something you can see from quite a distance away - or did I imagine that!!??

T

Are you thinking of the Obelisk in Red House Park? I'm not sure where that can be seen from.

Are you thinking of the Obelisk in Red House Park? I'm not sure where that can be seen from.

Mmmmmm! . . . . . I thought it was the other side of the Scott Arms . . . . but my memory may be playing tricks with me . . . . . I may be thinking of somewhere completely different.

Now I understand more about the history of Barr Beacon I am feeling an urge to get up there and take a look around.

Than I can check out if that other structure really does exist

The War Memorial will make much more sense to me - what a tragedy that all that metalwork was stolen.

Regarding J H Wilkinson - I believe his brother lived at New Hall Manor - now New Hall Hotel & Spa.

I only came to the Midlands in the 1970's and didn't even know the name Wilkinson & Riddell, but I see now that it was a large and succesful business! Eventually became part of the Courtaulds empire I believe.

T

I just found this picture of the Red House Park obelisk.

redhouse-6.jpg

That's exactly the image I had in my mind - so must be a strong possiblity that this is what I was thinking of.

As soon as poss. I will try and get down that way and have a mooch around.

Thanks for all the information and pointers.

T

Back