• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Balsall Heath.

220 Gooch St, photo from the usefull little book Birmingham Shops by John Marks:

Attachments

• Highgate Gooch St 220.jpg
    Highgate Gooch St 220.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 30
The main doctor in my time was Dr Wand, he bought me into the
world, we used to pay him sixpence when he called at the house.I think he came from Egypt originally and My mother told me I used to hide from him under the kitchen table.Happy Days!!!

Hi Weoley Valerie Powel? That name seems to ring a bell, I know we had one girl who lived out of Birmingham who was allowed to leave a little early at the end of the day, was that her. I never knew there was another partially sighted school in brum. we lived in Mary St so for me it was a walk up Edward rd and jump on the bus. Later I worked most of my life in that area, so I spent most of my life waiting for the number fifty bus.
Barry/baz

My mother's family, the Powells and Cheslins all lived in Balsall Heath and Highgate until after the second world war. Like so many others, they got scattered outwards in different directions by new housing.

These threads make fascinating reading.
Regarding Mary Street school, I was there as a trainee teacher in 1963/4. The Head Teacher was Mr Mundy/Monday as I recall. I remember how thrilled the school was to get its first boy of Pakistani origin to pass the 11+.
The highlight of my teaching practice was while I was in one of the temporary (?) teaching huts in the playground. As I was standing near the blackboard, the ceiling collapsed and water poured down from the roof between me and the excited class. The caretaker came and mopped it up and we continued with the lesson.

On my way to school I used to walk down Mary Street from the 1A bus stop and there were little notices on two or three doors inviting 'visitors' to 'just come in'. I could never understand why.
One little girl told me, in confidence, that her uncle Tony used to come to stay at their house when her dad was away working. Wasn't he a kind uncle Tony?
Happy days.
Barryjohn

Hi Jill,
Your mention of Dr. Deiry, brought back memories of fetching the Doctors Ford Consul and his Ford Zephyr,for servicing at Meteor Garage, Moseley, (he always kept 2 cars!) from his surgery in Mary St.
The cars were always Ivory White coloured, which showed every greasy fingerprint
that our mechanics had left on them!, and as the Doctor was very particular about keeping them clean, I usually had to clean them a bit before taking them back.
I beleive that the Doctor was the nephew of the late Dr. Wand, and originally I fetched the cars from his Longmore St. Surgery.
Barney Martin

Hi Barney,

I worked as a receptionist for Dr. Deary for a short time at his surgery in Longmore Street which fronted our houses in a yard at the back. His surgery was always full to bursting. He worked very long hours and was well respected. I believe he was Egyptian and a very nice man too.

Can anybody help with studley street, which was off ladypool road, photographs showing how studley street looked are like hens teeth.

Names I am researching are Fawke,Barnes, Pardoe and Merrick

Hi coalman

This is the only photo of Studley Street before the bombing I could find. I thought you might like the one of Alfred St / Queen St to go with it. As all the families around Alfred St, Queen St, Studley St were nearly all inter related and mixed in together.

Phil

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Studlley St 1930.jpg
    Sparkbrook Studlley St 1930.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Sparkbrook Alfred St - Queen St .jpg
    Sparkbrook Alfred St - Queen St .jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 25
Hello Phil

Thank you so very much, all of my family were born in Studley street, no2 back of 40 and I have never seen any photographs, according to legend not many houses survived the bombing during the war.
I have been told many stories about how close the families were and many lived next door to each other and sometimes many were inter related, girl marrying the boy next door etc.
Noticed your pic was dated around 1930,my father was the youngest born in 1924 so some of the my family maybe in the picture, My fathers cousin who lived in 43 studley street, born in 1922 is still alive and I will be visting him in 2 weeks time, I will print off the photogaph if yo do not mind and show him,he may be able to remember some of the kids, his memory is sharp as a blade so you never know.If he does I will be in touch.
He remembers a gypsy camp and also mentions a picture houseand a bakery at the end of the road.
Thanks again, youve made an old man very happy

John

Hi John

I have no connection with the street at all, but I knew the area well, as my best mate was one of the Stokes family that had several branches of the family in the area of Studley St and Alfred St.

My mate lived in Alfred St with his father and mother an another 10 or 11 siblings. The gypsy encampment you father spoke of would have been in Alfred St and the picture house would have been the Olympia on Ladypool Rd.

Not that I was around at the time, but the wartime bombing changed the area quite a lot, and I remember Studley St with very few houses at all, most of it towards the bottom was taken up by Brasons Ltd a large factory.

Phil

HI again

I believe the stokes family lived at number 65 Studley street, it was because of the bombing my family moved out, some to lapworth and the others to Shirley.
I have not been down there for years now but the last time I went, there was still one original building halfway down on the right facing ladypool road.
Originaly studley street was called Victoria street until 1897, there is a large scale 1883 map of the streets in Birmingham central Libary if your interested.

Regards

John

Must remember to ask santa for a Tardis at xmas.

Hi,
I went all round Highgate 10 days ago trying to photograph the places that my Dad grew up in. Every address I had for the family had been demolished (of course I picked the only cold, windy and very wet day to try and take photos).
Anyone have a photo of Stanhope st before the houses were demolished? He lived at n° 75 ...
Carolyn

Can anybody help with studley street, which was off ladypool road, photographs showing how studley street looked are like hens teeth.

John, I can remember Studley Street in the 50's but sadly I have no photos for you. We lived three streets away at 3/66 Leamington Road and frequented the Cinema on Ladypool Road (our flea pit). At Clifton Road junior school 1950-1955 there was a girl sitting next to me, that I had a weak spot for, by the name of Janet Coalman.

Graham.

Last edited:
HI Cadeau,
Sadly I never lived in Balsall heath,my great great grandfather Christopher walked from Ledbury to Birmingham to find work in 1872, lodging in 61 Tindel Street until 1877 when he married Jane from Edwards street and moved to Queen street then into Studley Street.All of his children were born in Queen Street.
He had 2 other brothers, Thomas and Richard who also lived in Balsall Heath as well but as yet I have not managed to find out where etc.
Most of my family were coal merchants hence my user name, Christopher,Harry,Thomas were all in Studley Street, though I have been informed on another post there was in 1962 a C.fawke coal merchant at 1 Pembroke Road just off Brighton Road.
Can anybody supply any more information or photographs?
Regards

John

John I guessed that your real name wasn't coalman and that bit about Janet was just a shot in the dark. Thanks for the Olympia cinema ad and here is the top of the building now.

Graham.

John

This is Pembroke Road off Brighton Rd in 1953 I think the No 1 is the building behind the house on the corner of Brighton Rd. The last time I was down that way it was a tyre fitting bay.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Pembroke Rd 1953.jpg
    Balsall Heath Pembroke Rd 1953.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 20
HI Phil

You dont happen to have any photos of camp hill coal wharf tucked under the mattress?
I recall once seeing a photo in a book of camp hill coal wharf many years ago but cannot for the life of me remember the title or the author.
The grey cells are getting darker by the day it seems.

John

Hi,I lived in Balsall heath from 68-72 in clifton road. Close to the sweet shop and the pub at the rear was the adventure playground which i managed for balsall heath association. Im working on a websie at present which includes Balsall heath and would welcome any photos of kids at that time or events.My website is https://www.thegypsypoet.co.uk Looking forward to hearing from someone who may remember me or the playground in malvern road,

John

Can't be of much help this time, all I have is a photo of Camp Hill Station which in reality was quite a way from the wharf. Also a photo of Stratford House at the time it was taken it was part of Camp Hill Wharf, and I seem to remember it was used as offices for the coal merchants.

Phil

Attachments

• Camp Hill Passenger Station Looking Towards Camp Hill Goods Station.jpg
    Camp Hill Passenger Station Looking Towards Camp Hill Goods Station.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Camp Hill Stratford House Stratford Place 1970 .jpg
    Camp Hill Stratford House Stratford Place 1970 .jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 24
Hi Phil

Have never seen an actual photo of camp Hill station so thank you,ref stratford house I am indeed grateful and more interested,as you know my family were coal merchants at Camp Hill wharf so they could have used these offices, is it still standing?.
I am somewhat confused though, some refer it as Camp Hil Coal wharf inc the post office inits directory yet on the map its down as Highgate coal wharf.
Have attached a pic,hopefully you have not got this one.
John

John

Stratford House is still standing to-day. Being that its supposed to be Birmingham's second oldest house, its little wonder that its listed and still standing. There was talks that LMS planned to demolish it at one time, but I think this was only a ploy to get the Council to take it over.

Here is a listing from Kelly's 1950 showing the position of the wharf & goods yard and those coal merchants using the wharf at that time.

Phil

STRATFORD PL. (12), 64
Camp hill to 152 Moseley
road. MAP H 6.
NORTH SIDE.
... here is Ravenhurst st ...
here is Stratford av
67 Deakin Mrs. Muriel M.
coffee rms
SOUTH SIDE.
here is Moseley rd
British Railways (London
Midland Region)Camp Hill
Goods Station
CAMP HILL COAL WHAEF :
Birmingham Co-operative
Society Ltd. coal mers
Adams Leslie E. coal mer
Harwood Geo.Ltd.coal mers
Perry Chas. P. & Son Ltd.
coal mers
Rudge, Brown & Co. Ltd.
coal mers
Miller Lawrence Ltd. coal
mers
Devey Alfd. coal mer
Lawley J. P. Ltd. coal mers
Mullis Geo. Hubert, coal mer
Stan ton Jas. coal dlr
Norwood Frank, coal mer
here is Stratford rd

Hi Phil

Seems that the Fawkes coal merchants are missing from the list,yet they were at the wharf at the time.
Hopefully some pics of the actual coal wharf will surface eventualy.

you may know the answer to this one,do you know of any photographs existing of Moor street station pre 1950?
Trying to put together so I can build a model of it.

hi,everyone, looking for info on the CANTRELL, family who lived in DYMOKE ST, they had a SHOP, selling sweets,veg,cold meat,in the late 40,s 50,s,.they had a daughter called LILA., CAN ANYONE HELP?.....take care,....christy...

Hello Folks

I know this is a long shot but:

I'm attempting to patch a bit of history in, and need to know the names of some occupants of houses on the Moseley Road. I am looking for two women, lady and her maid, (possibly a relative) within five doors either side of where Highgate Street meets Moseley Road.) Circa 1928.

Does anyone have access to a directory that might do the trick?

Thanks

HI

Its not such a long shot as you may believe, you will be able to find all the information who lived in what address in the electoral roll of the year your researching, I had the same problem a few weeks ago and found these ideal solution to the problem
These are held in the Central Library of Birmingham on the 6th floor, just ask at the archives enqiury desk and they will point you in the right direction.
The roll is bound in relevant area books, choose the area then look for the street, this will tell you what you need.
Remember not everybody had telephones in those days so unless they were either well off or ran a business from the address they will not be listed in any directory.
Good luck in your research

John

Robert
I may be wrong, and someone will surely correct me, but , in 1933, Highgate st didn't meet mosely road.Do you mean one of the highgate square junctions?
Mike

Back