• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Balsall Heath.

Tony
According to Roy Thorntons "Victorian Buildings in Birmingham" Mary St school was built in 1878 for 800 pupils,designed by William Hale. I was extended in 1883 for another 410 pupils
Mike

Although I went to school in Mary St it was at the other end of the street at St Johns RC school. I know that Mary St School was bombed in 1941 but was repaired and I think it continued until it was demolished under the Urban Renewal Scheme in the late 60's.

Phil

Balsall Heath Mary St School 1941 Bomb Damage.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all. I'm looking to add some more detail and residents of Clifton Road. Those detailed below I think were there around 1925. The list was 'culled' from my mother's childhood memories before she died (born 1918). (The numbers on the left are pins in a map!)

Can anyone help?

Clifton Road 1920's

1 130 Mr and Mrs Johnstone

Between 130 and 132 May Place with back houses

2 132 Monaghan then Reynolds
134 Bert Brigdon

3 134 Mr and Mrs Quinton
4 136 Mr and Mrs Hadley
5 138 Mr and Mrs Ward Bread Shop and Bakery
Entry to Rear
6 140 Mr and Mrs Stanton Hardware Shop
7 142 Mr and Mrs Harrison Paper and Sweet shop
8 144 Green Grocers
9 House with Pickling works attached
10 Private House
11 &12 Summerton and Mann Funeral Directors, Horses, Stables and Hearse at rear
13 Billington Ice Merchant and Removals

A Sycamore Avenue. Each garden has a sycamore tree. This is the only place left from the original road.

B Rainbow family. Removal firm with vans kept in side garden

C

D Kemp family. Father Carpenter all 5 sons became builders

E Wills

F

G 161 Frazier. Shoe repairer and second husband of Annie
Johnstone (nee Ravenhill)

H Huckerby Family

The dairy had a goat that was often let out to terrorise the neighbours.

Cattle sheep and pigs were often driven down the road to butchers where they were slaughtered.

My grandmother, Florence Hopkins, lived at 12, Woodfield Road, Balsall Heath in 1915.

Unfortunately on a recent and infrequent visit to the area no's 2 to 12 have been demolished.

Does anyone have an old photo of this particular terrace and can anyone say when these houses were pulled down?

Many thanks.

David Hankey

In the late 1950s there was an engineering company G H Yule in Cox Street West, we used to get our engine reboring done there.

We towed a car in there one morning for a rebore and I went in to do the booking in, when I came out my mate was grinning, he'd been accosted by a prostitute, 11 o'clock in the morning, she said they had to start early because the cops were all over the place later on. E.

Eric

If you look on the Cow St West thread (obviously a typo) you will see very nearly the whole of Cox St West laid out there, admittedly in a very poor state but near complete thanks to Mikejee

Phil

Yules was no 84 (though not when my pictures were taken) on post 12 of the cox st thread, the picture marked 7, on the left hand side of the picture with a yellowish nameboardmike
mike

hello all, i used to go to the luxor, triangle, and the saterday mattenee's at the bristol. do'es anyone remember Diana Dors making a personal appearence at the bristol picture house?
shardeen

Dont suppose anyone has a photo of Conybere Street? Have one of the Alms Houses but looking for one that shows anything else.

Thanks

RobertS

The best I can do for now. The first one is dated 1979 and the second is undated.

Phil

Balsall Heath Conybere St 3.jpg Balsall Heath Conybere St Lech's Trust Alms Houses.JPG

Last edited:
My aunty Ivy and uncle Arthur lived in houses off Belgrave road it was a back of address, when my cousin married she had lodgings with a Mr Hachley, he lived in a large detached house a few doors away from the terrace where my Aunt and Uncle lived their name was Preston, their children Margaret, Shirley and Graham.

Hi I lived in Balsall Heath Road opposit Mary St the
Wellington Pub was on the corner.
I went to Mary St school, & Upper Highgate School.
I also went to the Luxer where my Mum was a cleaner so we had free
tickets.
Christine

Hi Christine.
You must have been near Lanes newsagents, and you must remember Humpages, the corn shop on the other corner of Mary Street. That shop had a most evocative smell about it with its bins of dog biscuits and corn for the chickens which some people kept in those days in the late '50's.
Happy New Year.
Ted

7A__196_Balsall_Heath_Rd__corner_Mary_St.jpg
To help you remember. Sorry, but its after the shop finished trading, and was just about to be demolished, so there's no dog biscuits.
mike

Hi Ted, Lanes was the next yard down from us, and yes I do remember
Humpages. We lived at the back of Alf's Barber shop.
Where about did you live?
Happy New Year.
Christine

Hi Christine,

I didn't live too far from you in Vincent St and at other times Larches St. There are a couple o sights here you should recognise.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Balsall Heath Rd Longbridge Rd 1968.jpg
    Balsall Heath Balsall Heath Rd Longbridge Rd 1968.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Balsall Heath Lyttleton Arms Balsall Heath Balsall Heath Rd.jpg
    Balsall Heath Lyttleton Arms Balsall Heath Balsall Heath Rd.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Balsall Heath Wallace Longmore St.JPG
    Balsall Heath Wallace Longmore St.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 59
Hello again.
Mike: A great photo. of Humpages, obvously looking down the barrel of demolition.
Christine: I lived in Upper Cox Street and we got our newspapers from Lanes for many years. Specific memories are of boxes of Wilders fireworks and bundles of firewood and one worrying item, the traditional swishy punishment cane. I remember Mrs Lane extoling the effectiveness of this implement on her son (Terry ?) in raising vivid welts even through the eiderdown under which he had sought refuge. This recommendation brought about a sale to my mother but I successfully destroyed the weapon before it's first use.
Phil's wonderful album throws up these great pictures: I do not think there was any relationship between Ted Lane the greengrocer on the corner of Longbridge Road and the newsagent; the shop next door, with the Sale in operation and the young girls outside, was a miliners and haberdashers, where I remember my mother buying the useful utility items like elastic and cotton, another shop with evocative smells and atmosphere.
Ted

Hi Ted,
Did you know the Italian family that came to live in Upper Cox St in
the late 50's. ( they lived opposit Mary St school )
Phill's photo's are great of Balsall Heath Road I reconised all the shop's,
and pubs.
Christine

Christine here are a few more shots of the locality of Balsall Heath Rd. The first one is looking along Arter St to-wards Balsall Heath Rd. The second one is of some rather posh looking houses in Balsall Heath Rd. Were they just before Wenman St? The next one is Looking down Balsall Heath Rd, it looks like from Arter St. The last one is the Co op by Upper Cox St and just before the black patch.

Phil

please run mouse over photos to read tags

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Arter St-Haden St.jpg
    Balsall Heath Arter St-Haden St.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Balsall Heath Balsall Heath Rd  1967.jpg
    Balsall Heath Balsall Heath Rd 1967.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Balsall Heath Balsall Heath Rd.jpg
    Balsall Heath Balsall Heath Rd.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 48
  • Balsall Heath Balsall Heath Rd 1954.jpg
    Balsall Heath Balsall Heath Rd 1954.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 53
Hi Phil,
Thank you for the photo's. I think the posh looking houses were at
the far end of Balsall Heath Rd going towards Bristol Rd. If I am right the midwives
had a house opposit where they all lived together.
Christine

Christine
I think this must be the house of the midwives
58 Southgate Mrs. Anne
S.B.N., s.c.Jt. midwife
58 Fortune Miss Hannah​
S.E.A.N., s.c.M.midwife

58 was on the south side between Varna Rd and Pershore Rd/
mike

The haberdashery shop was owned by a Mrs Twiss, my mom used to work for her, cleaning and going to the wholesalers and occasionally serving in the shop. I was allowed to go with mom before I started school at five. I remember vividly Mrs Twiss saying if I was a good girl I could watch the children's programmes on TV, Andy Pandy, The Woodentops etc. It was several years later that our family could afford a TV of our own.

Hi Folks.
Christine - Yes, I remember the Candido family very well as they lived next door to me, albeit the other side of a wall. It will probably be that I misspell some names here, so apologies in advance. I think there were four children; there was a boy Carmello, a year or two younger than me and a beautiful daughter a year or two older, Alfamia. I remember one summer day when I was talking to her over the wall. She was sunbathing in a bikini; suddenly the top of the bikini slipped down and left one breast exposed. She quickly re- covered, too quickly I thought as everything was back in place before I could fully take it in! Not that there was a lot to take in, but it was OK for me at 14 or 15 years old - and she certainly was outstandingly pretty! I do remember that the father was a strict disciplinarian of his offspring. I think everyone got on well with the family.
The photo from Phil of the 'posh' houses in Balsall Heath Road provides a vivid illustration of the differences over the border (The Rea) in Edgbaston, from the cheap, high density housing in Balsall Heath. Despite the notoriety of Varna Road, and to a lesser degree Princess and Alexandra Roads, the housing had originally been very upmarket. The Calthorpe Estate strenuously protected the quality of Edgbaston.
Dipping into Phils album: the picture of Ted Lane's shop is directly opposite the Coop, Branch 66 - I worked every evening after school and on Saturdays as errand boy at the Coop F.F. & G (Fish Fruit and Greengrocery), which is just escaping the camera to the left. The Lyttleton was opposite the bombed site ( which Phil calls the Black Patch) and another photo extends down towards Longmore Street and the Wallace. These combine to show virtually all of the stretch of Balsall Heath Road between Longbridge Road and Longmore Street. All we need now is some of the other side from the bombed site, the home of Birmingham Lions Cycle Speedway, down to Cox Street West.
Ted

Ted

I do not remember houses of that type down over the Rea end of Balsall Heath Rd. Down there they were more the ones in these two photo's one is an old one, and the other is one take by mikejee when the area was being demolished (I'm sure he won't mind me posting it).

The only rendered front houses I can remember were opposite Wenman St just before where the school is now. They were set back from the road like those on the photo and the hill of Balsall Heath rd was only a gentle slope there like the photo, whereas at the bottom over the Rea the road is flat.

I am willing to concede that I may be wrong, and there may have been others of this type of housing in the road, but you would have to remind me where they where as I am able to recall them.

Phil

Attachments

• 19. alexandra rd.corner st lukes rd.jpg
    19. alexandra rd.corner st lukes rd.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Balsall Heath Balsall Heath Rd (2).jpg
    Balsall Heath Balsall Heath Rd (2).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 51
There were some rendered houses Phil. Maybe you haven't seen this one, 123 Balsall Heath road (confirmed by kellys for Relion and Fosters). This was at position in red on the map, just by the Rea
mike

balsall_heath_road_map_1913.jpg

17A__123A_Balsall_heath_Road.jpg

Mike

You are right, I don't remember them, and I should they were only just over the river next to the Balsall Heath Cinema that was later renamed The Luxor. Better known as the local bug hole. This photo shows it when it was still quite smart, well at least to what it became.

So if those houses were there then perhaps there were more, but I still have doubts.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath B-H Cinema (Luxor).jpg
    Balsall Heath B-H Cinema (Luxor).jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 31
Back