• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Balsall Heath.

TO POM & MALTA,IT,S BRILL LOOKING AT YOUR PIC,S,I AM WAITING FOR MY KID,S TO COME OFF THERE TRIP,S, SO THEY CAN SHOW ME,MALTA WHAT IS i m is that a thread to put my e,mail on,, u know i am not much, good on this,please help,thank,s also did u know margaret,welch from dymoke st, she moved to austrila in the early 60,s, have u herd any think,,all the best,,christy

Margaret Welch is my aunt & lives in Perth Western Australia, my mom her sister is Dorothy Welch & lives in Telford, we moved from St Martins flats in 1971.
Mark

christina my mom went to the sunday school in the tin tac hut ,she was born in 1946 her name is hazel wright did you know her?
I knew Hazel Wright we used to go to school together, we both went to Upper Highgate St School for Girls. I lived at 40 Dymoke St next to the outdoor. does she rember me.dee dee

Hi there, I have just found this group and am entralled by the stories and pictures. My sister lived in Court Road and I remember there being a horse parade with the big shire horses I think it was probably May day.My dad ran a butchers shop in Gooch Street for many years with my mom. His name was John Webber. Does anyone remember him or have any photos I would love to know. Jackie

Hello rustie and welcome, I'm sorry I can find a photo of your dad's shop, but I was able to find one or two of the Court Rd locality.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Court Rd 1961 .jpg
    Balsall Heath Court Rd 1961 .jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Balsall Heath Court Rd Cast Iron Victorian Urinal.jpg
    Balsall Heath Court Rd Cast Iron Victorian Urinal.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Balsall Heath The Cannon Hill.jpg
    Balsall Heath The Cannon Hill.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 47
Hi Phil,

Many thanks for putting the photos on of Court Road. I remember it all well. I used to go with my niece to the sweet shop which was around by the morris car. We had coupons in those days and the lady let us use them in advance. On the same side at the opposite end just on the corner lived my sister. She kept the little terrace house immaculate and always complained because the front window looked out on the bill boards opposite. In the summer she used to make toffee apples and sell them a penny each to make a bit of money, but they were happy days. Unfortunately she diied s few years ago. Her name was Mary Bryne. Thanks again it is so lovely to see them.

Rustie

Rustie looks like you already beat my post to it again welcome
icon7.gif

Hi Mikejee,

Thanks for the information. Hope you have luck with your search

Rustie

Hi I lived in Balsall Heath Road opposit Mary St the
Wellington Pub was on the corner.
I went to Mary St school, & Upper Highgate School.
I also went to the Luxer where my Mum was a cleaner so we had free
tickets.
Christine

Was it Upper Highgate School for Girls?

Hi everyone, I've just discovered this site - fantastic photos and great to hear the stories of life in Balsall Heath. I'm pure brummie, but lived in southern France for past 28 yrs. Dad was born in Balsall Heath, as were his parents, etc. I'm trying to find info for his 80th birthday - does anybody have any photos or memories of Stanhope St? He lived at 75 stanhope st from 1929 to about 1941. his family (Hudson) lived at 21 Jakeman Walk, 135 Emily St (Kendrick) & Dymoke St. My gt nan had a faggots & peas shop, in stanhope st. Dad went to St Albans, but after 1941 he moved to Kings Heath.

Anybody remember the shop ?

Hi Carobios Im sorry I dont have any information about your Dads family . as I lived there from1954-1962. Good luck in your search

Hi Folks.
These combine to show virtually all of the stretch of Balsall Heath Road between Longbridge Road and Longmore Street. All we need now is some of the other side from the bombed site, the home of Birmingham Lions Cycle Speedway, down to Cox Street West.
Ted

I can't see Longbridge Road on the current streetmap.co.uk map - is it still there or renamed or gone? I know my mother's grandfather (and young father) lived there for a time - surname Woodman. Thanks.

mayo

I think Longmore Street has now gone, disappearing under all the modernisation of the area. Longmore was a continuation of Gooch St from Belgrave Rd to Balsall Heath Rd. After then it became Cox St West.

From Sherlock St to Edgbaston Rd, there were six changes of name. Gooch St,Longmore St, Cox St West, Lincoln St, Hallam St and Willows Rd. Considering that the combined total couldn't have been much more than a mile in length it was quite unusual.

Phil

Attachments

• Street Plan Balsall Heath (3).jpg
    Street Plan Balsall Heath (3).jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 43
Longbridge st went from sherborne road to balsall heath road, as shown on the map. Part of it seems to have run about where Bridge croft is now shown on google.
mike

Longbridge st went from sherborne road to balsall heath road, as shown on the map. Part of it seems to have run about where Bridge croft is now shown on google.
mike
Hi
Your map is brilliant where did you get it from? I was born in River Street and later lived in Sherbourne Road. The house next door to the factory! I was one of 7 children and our name was Arnold and my Mum only had one leg! My aunty Lil lived in Longbridge road. There was a bombed building (bomb peck) at the bottom of the road. There was also an abbatoir at the bottom of Sherborne road and the children used to watch the piglets being delivered and we always waited for one to escape so all the kids could chase it! Such fun. anyone out there remember our family?

Hi all, the triangle cinema (flea pit), Saturday morning as a kid you would be sitting there thinking it’s raining, oh no it wasn’t rain the usherette was spraying the kids DDT or somethingto keep the nits down.
Happy days.
Baz

Hi, Pomogolian, I went to the Moseley road partialy sghted school on Moseley Rd opposite camphill. I went there in the 40’s and early 50’s. Reading some of the posts on balall heath as brought back wonderful memories. Did anybody else on the forum go to the partially sighted school it was combined with the dumb and deaf school.
Baz

The map is from the alan godfrey map Warwickshire 14.09.(Birmingham south 1913)
Mike
thanks so much for the info. My map arrived today, very quick and cheap too. So thanx again

pauline

family I'm interested in

Shuker Arnold and Bent

There was a prince of wales pub in Clifton road my granddad used to play the piano there .

I lived at 30 Clifton road and my grandparents lived at 28 , does anyone have any memory's or photos of the sweet shop which would have been 32 Clifton road it belonged to an aunt of mine Ada and Arthur Eustace the prince of wales pub was next to this shop , many of the house had dissapeared in the 60s and there was lots of wasteground in clifton road we lived jst down fro the cinema which was on the mosley road.
cheers Smileysteph

Went into B'Ham yesterday and "THE WORKS" book shop had on for sale a book showing many pictures of Balsall Heath and Highgate. The book is Approx. £12. reduced to £3. 99p. Someone might be interested. Miriam.

Hi, Pomogolian, I went to the Moseley road partialy sghted school on Moseley Rd opposite camphill. I went there in the 40’s and early 50’s. Reading some of the posts on balall heath as brought back wonderful memories. Did anybody else on the forum go to the partially sighted school it was combined with the dumb and deaf school.
Baz

I think my mother went there for a while. She was Valerie Powell then. Mid and late 1940s. But I think she moved on to the Auden school in Selly Oak.

I was born at 7/8 Hick street in 1930,its good to see so many folk remember it with fondness. With its gas lighting and outside
privies I was glad when we got a council house at Yardley Wood in1932.After the war I think it became a Red light area.

Hi Weoley Valerie Powel? That name seems to ring a bell, I know we had one girl who lived out of Birmingham who was allowed to leave a little early at the end of the day, was that her. I never knew there was another partially sighted school in brum. we lived in Mary St so for me it was a walk up Edward rd and jump on the bus. Later I worked most of my life in that area, so I spent most of my life waiting for the number fifty bus.
Barry/baz

Hi Jill,
Your mention of Dr. Deiry, brought back memories of fetching the Doctors Ford Consul and his Ford Zephyr,for servicing at Meteor Garage, Moseley, (he always kept 2 cars!) from his surgery in Mary St.
The cars were always Ivory White coloured, which showed every greasy fingerprint
that our mechanics had left on them!, and as the Doctor was very particular about keeping them clean, I usually had to clean them a bit before taking them back.
I beleive that the Doctor was the nephew of the late Dr. Wand, and originally I fetched the cars from his Longmore St. Surgery.
Barney Martin

Hi Barney

Would that be the same Dr Deary who had a big house in Russell Rd, just past Moorcroft Rd. We did some work for him on some of his properties. It was said he made a fortune from treating the working girls in Balsall Heath for work related afflictions. How true this is I don't know, but he always paid us well and without hassle.

Phil

Hi Phil,
Yes, Dr. Deiry did live in Russell Road, the house which I obviously had to visit quite a lot was painted Blue & White, as I think that I remember.
He could be difficult! to please, but could also be quite generous personally, his surgery waiting room was always full!, and there did not seem to be any regular opening hours, he was always smartly dressed, with immaculate white shirts.
Barney Martin

Back