• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Balsall Heath.

Mike

He might mean the Belgrave Rd, Moseley Rd, Highgate Rd junction. If this assumption is correct the house is most likely to be between Ombersley Rd and Highgate Rd because the other side of Highgate Rd was mostly Camp Hill Station and commercial premises.

Phil

Here is the relevent entries for 1933 for between ombersley road and highgate rd
here is Ombersley rd

362 McCullagh Chas. H.Walker M.D., B.ch.,​
D.P.H., L.SI. physcn. &surgn
356 Ferneyhough Mrs. Ellen,aparts
356 Blackburn PhilanthropicAssurance Co. Ltd
354 Dyche Ernest,photogrphr
352 Humpage Mrs

348 McMullan Wm. L.E.C.P& s.Edin., L.R.F.P. &​
s.Glas., D.p.H.i/pool,ophthalmic surgn
344 Birmingham Relief Office for Districts 18 & 19 (G. Feraday & Jn. Wm.Green, relieving officers)
342 Pickering Thos. Jas
340 Faulkner Hy
338 Coleman Wm
336 Platt Mrs
334 Dark Arth. Geo. furniture dlr
332 Austin, ladies' hairdrssr

here is Highgate rd
Mike

Thanks folks

My slip, it is Highgate Road. The electoral role may be worth a look although Im not sure about an old lady and a maid registering to vote in the late 20's although they might just have been able to?

Street directories may be the answer as the old girl was better off than most. Its even possible they were on the phone but without a name its a bit of a pain.

My trips to Birmingham are rare these days but thanks for the replies. (Edit) thanks mikejee posts crossed.

Hello Mikejee

As you can see previous posts crossed. The Mrs Platt looks a likely one if I'm going in the right direction!

This gives me something to work on.

Many thanks

Robert
You're in luck as i have some odd credits to use up before they expire. here is mrs platt in 1930. She doesn't appear in any other electoral roll on the Midland hist.data site.
Mike

Hi Mike

You dont happen to have any electoral listings for Studley Street for the period 1907 and 1918?

I am trying to locate 2 families who lived there and are related to mine, Barnes and Merrick.

This geneology might be easier if I forgot about a new car and just got myself a tardis lol.

All the best
John

A search said neither there between 1908 and 1918.
I'm waiting for someone to name a new car the Tardis. Better than some names - slips off the tongue quite well.Don't know if they'd be allowed to though - it might be copyright.
mike

Hi Mike

Dont think for one mo the BBC would worry about the copyright if a car manufacturer named a car Tardis lol, they get enough free money, can u imagine of the number plate was WH 0 BBC?

Could your records show any light on relatives of mine who seem to have disapeared off the system, last known addresses for them were

Thomas Fawke of Oxford Road, Birmingham and worked for the GWR Railway
Richard Fawke of Victoria Grove,Nursery Road,Aston Manor who was in the coal business but do not know what capacity.
Also have been told I had relatives in Erasmus road and Priestley Road but had no joy tracing any fawke living in either street.

Hope your enjoying the good weather

Regards

John

Hi John (coalman)

You mentioned the bombing of the Queen St, Studley St, Alfred St area. I thought you might like to see the mess that was made of the area.

The first photo is of Queen St after the raid on the 20.11.1940.
The second is Studley St, Alfred St after the raid on 02.01.1941.

They made a bit of an impact didn't they.

Phil

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 30
  • Sparkbrook Alfred Rd Studley St.jpg
    Sparkbrook Alfred Rd Studley St.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 25
Hi Phil

Words escape me, have seen loads of pics over the years of the bombings but when you are faced with shots of where your family actually lived it certainly brings it home.
My Dads cousin is still alive and remembers it being bombed, will print these out and show him next time I see him.
Thank you

John

pmc,
Thanks for the photos.

As a lad I was always told that my auntie lived here and that she was trapped for a long time in her cellar but survived. After the war this was to become our main 'adventure' playground and I collected bricks here to build a neighbours garden shed from where my first racing cycle emerged!

Graham.

HI Phil(pmc1947),

You do not happen to have photo's of Tindal Street do you? My great grandfather lived there in 1874-7 at number 61 until he married and moved to 49 Queen Street.
My Great Grandmother lived at number 48 Edwards Street, mIke has very kindly sorted some maps out showing the position of the houses.
Any luck with finding that pic of you and Christine? her uncle says she moved down to Torquay and as far as he knows she is still down there but what ever happenned to her brothers richard and alan noone seems to know.

Regards

John

Fawke,Fawkes,Craddock,Barnes,Wicketts

Hi John

Sorry no luck with finding the photo of Christine, not much luck with a photo of Tindal St either. I managed one of the school and one of "The Old Mo" public house, which used to be one of the best pubs in the area. They were both in Tindal St.

Edward Rd was simpler, I have more but they are more or less the same view at different dates.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Edward Rd (4).jpg
    Balsall Heath Edward Rd (4).jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Balsall Heath Tindal St School 1939.jpg
    Balsall Heath Tindal St School 1939.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Balsall Heath Tindal St The Old Moseley Arms.jpg
    Balsall Heath Tindal St The Old Moseley Arms.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 48
John

At one time Edward Rd, Edgbaston and Edwardes Street Balsall Heath were separated by the River Rea, but when a bridge was built connecting them they became Edward Rd. If your relation lived in Edwardes Street they lived on the upper end of edward Road.

Phil

Hi Phil

She lived at number 48 which was in between Bath walk and George street junction, she lived there in 1877. so do you possibly have a pic of that postion?
Have attached the map Mike very kindly supplied,the house is marked in red.
John

John

If you look at the photo, the lad with the bike is standing at Bath Walk, so the location you are looking for would be on the right of the photo. I will look and see if I have a better photo.

Phil

John

This is the only other photo of that area of Edward Rd I have, its from Bath Walk looking uphill. They must have changed the numbering on the road when they joined it up with the bridge, because the house you have indicated, I remember as a Greengrocers and later a Café and it was no 109. The police station was No 48.

On this photo the van with the open back doors on the left would be roughly outside your relations house.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Edward Rd 1957.jpg
    Balsall Heath Edward Rd 1957.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 36
hello,phil, can you help with any photos of, BELGRAVE RD,, looking up towards moseley rd end by percy schamer school, if poss,. many thanks, in advance,...christy

Thanks Phil,
Remember that my Great grandmother lived there in 1877 so as Mike has said,many of the roads were re numbered but I cannot think that even numbers would have changed around to odd numbers, maybe the house was turned into shop in later years or maybe the house was later turned into the police station?
Maybe Mike could throw some light on it
But then again some of the stories I have heard about beaurocrats of the 19th century and how they thought have made me laugh in the past, here is one of them.
The following was taken from the minutes of the City of Birmingham Gas Department :

The stables department has requested funds to replace Horse number 53.

Accountants ask" Why do we have to replace Horse number 53 ?"

Answer " Horse number 53 has run away!"

Could only happen in brum lol

Just to clear up the point, the position of the house was determined on the map by counting from the corners of the roads near it ,using directories of 1876.80 and 90. In all of these the numbering was the same. In 1873 and before the houses were not numbered, at least in the directories. what usually happened was that renumbering changed numbers from 1,2,3 --- down one side of the road and then back down the other, to a system of odd nos one side, even the other. I think this occurred when Edwardes street became edward road, which would have been about when bridge was built. Before it was a dead end street, and it was reasonable to do numbering the first way, but seemed more reasonable with a through road , presumably, to have the other numbering system. In this case it was possible to accurately deterine the house, as .f rom the directories you can definitely say which one it was . this is not always possible
mike

John

Mike is very good with this sort of thing, if he says the houses were renumbered then you can take that as gospel. I would imagine when Edward Rd and Edwardes St were joined together the whole street was renumbered as Edward Rd.

The police station was built as police station and it was never a house, but it is entirely possible that your great grandmothers house (the one indicated) was converted to a greengrocers. I remember it well, I used to fetch potatoes for my Gran from there. And in later years I even used it when it became a coffee bar.

Phil

Does anyone know how much it would have cost to go to the pringle's (triangle) cinema in 30s & 40'? I know Dad used to go there. He said he also used to play on the building site when St Martin's flats were under construction. He used to go & get faggots & peas from his gran's shop in Emily St too.
Anyone happen to have photo of St Albans CE school before it was demolished & rebuilt? and does anyone know what the name of the factory was in Stanhope St next to number 75 in 30's?
Lots of questions i know, but any help would be great
thanks,
Carolyn
(ex brummie, now French)
Names researched: Hudson, Kendrick, Glanville, Lines, Cotton, Caddick

Hi Carolyn

I wouldn't have thought it would have cost a shilling in the 40's to get into the Triangle. I can't help you with a photo of the the old St Albans School. To be honest I though the present building was the old St Albans School.

I have this photo of the site where St Martins Flats were built in 1935. So that would be where your dad played.

Phil

Attachments

• Highgate Site of St Martins Flats 1935.jpg
    Highgate Site of St Martins Flats 1935.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 39
Hi Phil
Thanks for the photo - Dad will love this. He took me round Highgate a couple of yrs ago when I was in the UK and showed me the "new" school. Definitely not the one he went to - then again, there doesn"t seem to be much still standing from when he lived there. Found his address - 75 Stanhope St, but new house there, with no factory attached.
Don't suppose you have photo of Stanhope St?
Would you believe it was snowing in Lyon today?
Carolyn

Carolyn
In 1933, no 73 Stanhope st was Monks & Crane Ltd. file manufacturers. There is no listing for no 77, which would have been on the other side
mike

Hi Phil and MIke

Thank you so very much for everything,maybe one day I can do something for the both of you.

regards

John

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the info, now you mention it, that name rings a bell - I'm sure dad must have mentioned them at some date.
Carolyn

Hi Christy

Sorry I missed you there, I have only just seen your request. I think you will find The Percy Shurmer School is on the corner of what used to be Sherbourne Rd and Longmore Street.

These three photo's show the location of where you requested. but they may be a little later than what you want.

Can you be a little more specific to what you are looking for.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Belgrave Rd.JPG
    Balsall Heath Belgrave Rd.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Balsall Heath Belgrave Middlwway.jpg
    Balsall Heath Belgrave Middlwway.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Balsall Heath Belgrave Rd 1976 .jpg
    Balsall Heath Belgrave Rd 1976 .jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 51
Back