• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, 30 b.h.p and 16 guaranteed against a re-bore for 25,000 miles. I am wondering what year this is?

Wow, 30 b.h.p and 16 guaranteed against a re-bore for 25,000 miles. I am wondering what year this is?
Hello Morturn, it does seem like good value but I suppose £149 was a lot of money in those days.

1936 to 39 Mortum, I worked on a few of these, they were excellent cars for their time but had one impossible to cure failing, the sealing on the overhead camshaft didn't work well so the engine was always leaking oil, not a lot but enough to make a sticky mess.
The guarantee against re-bore was probably not worth a lot, most cars at that time would last at least that long provided they were properly serviced and no doubt that would be required to keep the guarantee valid.

Avery.jpg

I remember Avery in or near W. Green but not on Digbeth so this must be before my time.

1936 to 39 Mortum, I worked on a few of these, they were excellent cars for their time but had one impossible to cure failing, the sealing on the overhead camshaft didn't work well so the engine was always leaking oil, not a lot but enough to make a sticky mess.
The guarantee against re-bore was probably not worth a lot, most cars at that time would last at least that long provided they were properly serviced and no doubt that would be required to keep the guarantee valid.

Thanks for that Eric, its nice to place the advert into context and also understand the little quirks that cars have. The advertisements say one thing, and the people who actually owned and worked on them can tell a different story. Of course our expectations were different then too.

Palethorpes, a former midland firm;
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Palethorpes
Im091023OT-Palethorps.jpg

My ma in law and sister in law worked for Pearson Page (and Dewsbury) as brass polishers, 'Pearage' wall plaques etc. can be found all over the world, the most popular were of sailing ships.

I have one of their pieces which is in the style of a round blue and white Wedgewood item with a lady's head.

Attachments

• IMGP1630.JPG
    IMGP1630.JPG
    745.6 KB · Views: 10
No fatties in that picture Stitcher, the material from all those frocks put together wouldn't be enough for most modern ladies. :oops:

How elegant the dresses are though.

The freaky toy next to the dog on wheels is worrying ! Who'd believe their advertising would go from this to a smouldering David Gandi! Viv.

Nothing has changed today. How many tubsters appear in tv ads?
Airbrushing in it`s earlier form. They all look anorexic!! If any one of those ladies swallowed a walnut she`d look pregnant. Or as some wag would say " There`s more meat on Lester Piggots whip!

Pricing expensive items in Guineas was common right up to 1971 a Guinea was 21 shillings so made items seem cheaper than they really were.

Yes agreed, I certainly remember a lot of luxury goods priced the same way, my dad would moan that it was a trick to deceive.

I seem to remember reading once that at auctions prices used to be in guineas, and the extra shilling over one pound was the auctioneer's commission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back