• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
See advert top right in this pic for 'Imp Soot Destroyer'. Lower down is 'Rub it In Goddards' (whatever that was) and above 'Norusto' paint. The scene is dated 1957 and presumably the shopkeeper has to put that lot away at the end of the day unless he has an assistant.
The pic is from a collection seen here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-43782267
hardwareshop.jpg

Good grief, they'd have to start packing up at lunchtime to get that lot stashed away. Or maybe it was a promotional image ? Viv.

I think 'Goddards' was a silver polish and Imp Soot Destroyer was a box of chemical you put on the fire. It was supposed to get rid of soot. Its been years since I've seem a good chimney fire. Notice also Pink Paraffin and ESSO Blue.

Can I see an ad for 'pink' bleach?

Good grief, they'd have to start packing up at lunchtime to get that lot stashed away. Or maybe it was a promotional image ? Viv.

Old Gisbournes on Station Road, Erdington used to do the same. Even with all the stuff outside, the shop was still rammed full.

Goddards could well refer to metal polish. It was especially directed towards silver - if you had any of course. :D

What was the difference between Chapman's 'hardware store' above and an ironmongers ? Is there one ? Viv.

Ironmongers, as a profession and trade,have been known as such since mediaeval times. Although, it appears hardware stores were known in the 18th. century I have the feeling that the description was one originating in the Americas. (pre 1776)
I think it could be assumed that ironmongery purely dealt with metal whereas the hardware store had a larger range of products.
Anyway, I am happy for correction or enlargement of these views. ;)

Good question that Viv. I have always thought of ironmongery as screws, locks, bolts, nails, hinges etc. stuff to build a house. Hardware to me is pots and pans, stoves and cookers, buckets etc.

It seems Mr Chapman had another shop at 10, Penton Street, somewhere in London and he must have had a good security system for his shops!
Advert for 'Labatt's Blue' just about sneaks the pic on topic ...:rolleyes:
ps. just noticed (after posting) that it might be the same shop as in original pic with the building on the left demolished in this pic ...
ChapmanX.jpg

Last edited:
Goddards have long been makers of polish. Their silver polish is still popular today, so that's probably them urging us to "rub it in" on that sign.

The photos in posts 1019 and 1037 seem, to me, to be the same shop. They are both at No. 10 (wherever that road is) but the 1019 suggests an earlier photo that 1037 - based on the products offered. Both premises are on a slope - downwards to the right of the photo. 1019 has G. Chapman whereas 1037 details G.J?. Chapman. Same person? or maybe a son now has the place.
Also in 1037 No. 12 has gone, Was this due to bombing maybe?
Another mystery to be solved possibly! :D

Mom used to burn an 'imp' in the pre-fab fire but it set fire to the chimney. I think the 'Goddards' referred to silver polish - I've still got a tin somewhere.

oM, that's a lovely picture of the triplets but all I can think of is 'that poor woman'. Three babies all waking at different times to be fed and all the washing to be done - no mod-cons and especially no rubber pants (or these days, disposable nappies) so all their clothes would be wet along with the bedding. Doesn't bear thinking about! I hope she got enough money from the advert to afford some help.

The difference between Ironmongers and Hardware is that ironmonger is just an old English word for the seller of iron products. I have been in Ironmongers Hall in the City of London and the livery company which owns it was founded sometime about 1300.

Mr Lloyd who opened a bank in Dale End just over 250 years ago was described as an ironmonger. It is not recorded whether or not he owned a black horse.

Lots of my ancestors were ironfounders but occasionally they were called hardwaremen. I always think that 'monger' is such a funny word or is it suffix? Anyone know where it comes from - I spotted a cheesemonger the other day - are there any more 'mongers' about?

Lots of my ancestors were ironfounders but occasionally they were called hardwaremen. I always think that 'monger' is such a funny word or is it suffix? Anyone know where it comes from - I spotted a cheesemonger the other day - are there any more 'mongers' about?
I think monger means dealer as in ironmonger, fishmonger, costermonger and maybe even warmonger.

I had Birmingham uncles, mainly sheet metal workers, who worked for "the Wolseley' as they used to call it, but the Bombay Depot is news to me.

Maurice

I had Birmingham uncles, mainly sheet metal workers, who worked for "the Wolseley' as they used to call it, but the Bombay Depot is news to me.

Maurice

Should be a story behind this advert. Yes Bombay Depot?

At first glance the only thing I can find is a royal visit to India in 1928 that involved the cars.

What is the word that has been obliterated by the BHF?

Tim
Really it started in Aston as the Wolseleysheep Shearing Co, then run by Herbert Austin. The main company decided it wasn't interested in cars, so Austin got money to start separate firm

In 1919 their premises included both Bombay and Toronto - quite an extensive portfolio.

Maurice

Attachments

• Wolseley.jpg
    Wolseley.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back