• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

• Thread starter Thread starter Kandor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B. Creepers.jpg
I had a pair of these after I had been at work for awhile after leaving school.

Re: Post #734, "Sorry, but Reckitt Benckiser no longer produce Mansion for the UK market. It's only available in Columbia, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka". Long way to travel to get some!

Maurice

I never thought Brothel Creepers was an official name

I agree, never saw them even advertised as such.
Bob
Me to, I thought it was just a crude nickname.
My mum back in the 60s used to refer to a pair of shoes I had then as such. My mum was pretty straight laced, and I'm sure she used the term without thinking what she was saying, and me being a young schoolboy was to naive to know any different.
How extraordinary to use such a phrase even at that time.

Has anyone tasted tonic wine? I imagine it as being very sweet, like Harvey's Bristol Cream , perhaps. Amazingly, the Sanatogen one is still sold.
My parents used to take a Sanatogen powder that you mixed with hot milk. I don't know why they took it, but you can still buy it at Boots, if it's the same thing, and it is now called a protein supplement. It looked pretty horrible - white, as if it had no taste.

I'm quite familiar with fabric types but many of those listed remnants have passed me by. Certainly wouldn't find some of them in today's fabric shops. That's, of course, if you could find a fabric shop in the first place. Viv.

There used to be an advertising paper called "Exchange and Mart", my mother used to send for packs of remnants. The best one was some pieces of corduroy, I covered my ottoman with it.
(The best place for fabric now is the Rag Market in the Bull Ring, also the "Fancy Silk Store" opposite.)
rosie.

When I made my wife's clothes I used a fabric shop in Edgbaston Street and another one on the corner of Meriden St and Digbeth. One of those was The Fancy Silk Shop. Another shop I used a lot was almost opposite the Locarno, it was a tailors retailer and they sold everything you would need to make a mans suit.

18.jpg
I have a few that are probably not British but they are astounding to say the least.

Was this the stuff that was like a green jelly and not as potent as embrocation (aaah the changing room smell!!), but good for strains and sprains?

Bob
Hello Bob, are you referring to the Zam Buk? I seem to have that name in the back of my mind but I can not say I remember it. My da always used Sloane's Liniment and that smelt awful.

Not knowing anything of Zam-buk, consulting Wikipedia it is stated...

“The source of the name is uncertain, but a link to South Africa has been suggested. The brand name was at one time used to refer to ambulance-men and first aiders at rugby league matches in Australia and New Zealand.”

This advert from 1902 suggests it was a great Australian Herbal Ointment.

2550FB96-927E-4700-B947-D9B59DFEF2FD.jpeg
View attachment 119296
I have a few that are probably not British but they are astounding to say the least.

Not knowing anything of Zam-buk, consulting Wikipedia it is stated...

“The source of the name is uncertain, but a link to South Africa has been suggested. The brand name was at one time used to refer to ambulance-men and first aiders at rugby league matches in Australia and New Zealand.”

This advert from 1902 suggests it was a great Australian Herbal Ointment.

View attachment 119301
Thanks for that, that's it and it was green and had a slight embrocation (wintergreen) smell about it. My grandmother who lived in Harborne used to use it. I do not know what for, but my sister got chilblains and it cured them. You see as I have said the BHF is the home of many founts of knowledge.
Bob

Seeing the cocaine ad reminded me of 1952 when I joined the Volunteer Agricultural Camps for the summer, As I detailed in another thread most of the other workers were uni students earning some well needed cash. I was only fourteen but should have been 171/2 but in those days no one asked lots of questions and ticked off boxes on forms! :eek: That was one of the freedoms our parents had fought for.
There was always a sing song in the evenings and one of them I remember was this song. I guess why I remember it was that I associated those items being used in medicine and hospitals and was intrigued to discover that people used them for other stupid purposes. At the age of fourteen I realized that it was not something I would ever want to be involved with and I never have. I have always wanted to be in total control of my mind and faculties.

Note to Mods: Delete if though necessary

After the record breaking long hot summer of 1976, Woolies thought it was time to think about Christmas ...
Xmas1976woolies.jpg

Last edited:
This HMV shop window will bring back memories of sitting in front of the 'box'. It's on London's Oxford Street in the 1950s. But look, to the right- hand side of the window is an advert for the Radio Show at Castle Bromwich. The shop was proud to announce that models on display at the show were now available in-store. Interesting that it was called a 'radio show' rather than TV and radio show. Viv.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back