• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

The leaked version of Windows 11 is known to have been hacked and could be a security risk for your data or computer.
I appreciate your concern but I'll pop a clean SSD into a spare PC base unit and install on that, no access to the home router or NAS and I'll hook it up to 4G just for net access if needed to take a look so no security risks at all there and I'm just curious to take a peek; I certainly won't be using it as an everyday operating system.

Looks like you'll be able to install a lot of Android phone/tablet apps on W11 which is a good thing IMO

Wait about 3 weeks and join 'Windows Insider' and Win 11 should be available direct from Microsoft. I shall do this in a spare laptop, W11 will replace W10. I've done it before, they expect some feedback and things can change at any time. I did it when they first brought out chromium Edge and they actually responded to some feedback I sent. You can leave the Insider program at any time.

Looks like you and I Janice are known as “late adapters”.
Mort, for my part, my tolerance for “do overs” has diminished! Seems like every other time Apple upgrades my phone it does not always get better!
Seriously, I do consulting work for clients globally and when they decide to go with the project, my note book has to be ready. Late last night I got a green light from a Swedish company and they would like a response this morning, which I just sent

Wait about 3 weeks and join 'Windows Insider' and Win 11 should be available direct from Microsoft. I shall do this in a spare laptop, W11 will replace W10. I've done it before, they expect some feedback and things can change at any time. I did it when they first brought out chromium Edge and they actually responded to some feedback I sent. You can leave the Insider program at any time.
I've been an 'Insider' for a long time now (stand alone machine/different MS account). I'll let the dust settle before upgrading main machines but at present W10 works so well I don't feel a real need to upgrade. I rolled back from W8.1 to W7 and waited for W10.

Still using Windows 7, It’s reliable works with all my accessories, and as far as I am aware it does not spy on me. Still prefer Mac OS though, Alf.

I've got an old laptop running ham radio software through XP and only retired it because the screen was failing. Thats all that machine had to do and it worked. Lot of people spend hundreds of pounds on a laptop and really just do a bit of social media/email/youtube on them, pointless upgrade really.

Apple make good machines but grossly overpriced and limited software compared to a PC platform IMO.

Lot of fear about being spied on but obviously 'they' are not spying on the real you, just collecting data on shops visited, sites visited etc. If people want privacy then smash your router and don't turn your phone on LOL. We all lost our privacy the moment mom and dad registered your birth...your in the system ;)

Hello Richard,
Agree with you Apple make stunningly good machines. I was alway anti Apple until I was force by the company I then worked for to use Apple I quickly became a convert I have found that every program I run on PC is available on Mac or with a Mac OS equivalent. They are expensive but the longevity is outstanding and the service brilliant. A recent example my Macbook Pro laptop, 10 years old developed a fault, (my doing). Telephoned Apple booked an appointment for the following day at the local Apple store for 4pm by 4.30 I was on my way home, problem resolved free of charge. No other manufacturer would offer that degree of service on a ten year old machine.
As far as being spied on I think we can eliminate some of the risks ourselves never allow cookies and don’t visit suspect sites and avoid Facebook, Google etc.
I run Mozilla Firefox, duck a go,for searching and Thunderbird for e-mails never had problem. I also use these on my PC. The only Google products I do use is Google Earth, but then only when the occasional Apple maps is insufficient. I use both systems, PC and OS, they both have a place in my home.
Best wishes stay safe. alf.

Hello Richard,
Agree with you Apple make stunningly good machines. I was alway anti Apple until I was force by the company I then worked for to use Apple I quickly became a convert I have found that every program I run on PC is available on Mac or with a Mac OS equivalent. They are expensive but the longevity is outstanding and the service brilliant. A recent example my Macbook Pro laptop, 10 years old developed a fault, (my doing). Telephoned Apple booked an appointment for the following day at the local Apple store for 4pm by 4.30 I was on my way home, problem resolved free of charge. No other manufacturer would offer that degree of service on a ten year old machine.
As far as being spied on I think we can eliminate some of the risks ourselves never allow cookies and don’t visit suspect sites and avoid Facebook, Google etc.
I run Mozilla Firefox, duck a go,for searching and Thunderbird for e-mails never had problem. I also use these on my PC. The only Google products I do use is Google Earth, but then only when the occasional Apple maps is insufficient. I use both systems, PC and OS, they both have a place in my home.
Best wishes stay safe. alf.
Chunky, my wife’s MacBook Pro was a couple of years older than yours and at the Apple Store they would not touch it. We bought a newer version that was 3x more than my Lenovo! My wife is a retired educator and everything is Apple for her.
There and pluses and minuses every where as long as it works for you, it’s a winner!

Apparently you can only install W11 if you have W10 installed other than a complete new installation.

Last edited:
Chunky, my wife’s MacBook Pro was a couple of years older than yours and at the Apple Store they would not touch it. We bought a newer version that was 3x more than my Lenovo! My wife is a retired educator and everything is Apple for her.
There and pluses and minuses every where as long as it works for you, it’s a winner!
Agreed, I use both, it works for me.

Reference a previous comment about never allowing cookies ... if you don't allow the forum's 'log-in' cookie then you don't stay logged-in. There are many other sites that will not work unless their cookies are allowed in. I auto-delete most cookies when I close down but not the BHF 'log-in' cookie.

A few years ago, two nephews working in graphic design went into work and shock horror........they were getting rid of Apple machines and switching to PCs; there was a meltdown, "You can't do that" etc but in no time at all it all calmed down when they actually used the PCs. Bottom line is use what you like. Fear has been driven into the public over security threats which are real but are blown out of proportion mainly by the likes of Norton who want you to pay for software that in reality can be safely replaced by the built in W10 security software. I don't worry about cookies, I clean them out every now and again.

Bit of useless information for you, a modern 'smart' Turbo charger for your phone has much much more computing power than was fitted in the Apollo spacecraft! You'll all sleep easy tonight knowing that ;)

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 11 today. I'm quite impressed all my apps are still there plus a few that Microsoft would like me to use ... I'll delete them when they are not looking. It's very fast ... :)
I shall leave my main computer on W10 until the retail upgrade appears but play with W11 on my laptop ...
Image1.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't seen a 'black screen' yet but have found one very small bug to report back to Msoft.
Windows 11 is running well for me and auto hiding of the 'taskbar' now works compared to W10.
The following might prevent some devices being used
Luckily, the cpu in my 3 year old laptop meets the security requirements... :)

I haven't seen a 'black screen' yet but have found one very small bug to report back to Msoft.
Windows 11 is running well for me and auto hiding of the 'taskbar' now works compared to W10.
The following might prevent some devices being used
Luckily, the cpu in my 3 year old laptop meets the security requirements... :)
How do I find out which CPU is in my pc?

Open Windows 10 Settings
Click System
Scroll down to About
Click About and the full details about your computer should be visible
:)

Mike, I've looked at the list in the link in post#1375 and your cpu is not on it. How old is your computer ?
The PC Health Check tells whether your computer will run W11

Last edited:
Back