• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

This thread has been merged with a duplicate thread. There may be earlier posts of interest. Viv.

Have just found out that W10 does not contain a media programme for playing DVD's.

I believe that this used be part of the W7 package but is no longer offered in W10.

Any suggestions/offers would be appreciated.

thank you..

VLC with handle any media you throw at it, I'm in the radio shack typing this and VLC is playing one of my blues playlists in the background; works well on Android phones too.

VLC is also good for file format conversions. My Dashcam records video as mov files and VLC bulk converts them to the smaller mp4 files.

Another useful app is Audacity. If you can play music or any sound in a computer such as iPlayer etc, Audacity can record it as wav or mp3 and also edit bits out of it.

You can also download copyright free video from You Tube too with VLC

Last edited:
we will soon have win11. wonder if it will have a media player.
i use power dvd
It looks like it is mainly a new interface on the existing Windows 10. Everything that runs on W10 should run on W11 and the upgrade isn't compulsory.
A glimpse of it below ...
I use the W10 Start-menu which works well but is visually very drab on my devices so a brighter new look one will suit me.

It looks like it is mainly a new interface on the existing Windows 10. Everything that runs on W10 should run on W11 and the upgrade isn't compulsory.
A glimpse of it below ...
I use the W10 Start-menu which works well but is visually very drab on my devices so a brighter new look one will suit me.
ta phil.it looks good. i wonder how much dosh it will cost:grinning:

Windows 10 is nicely settled in my computers but Microsoft advised me of this ...
View attachment 158349
So I will have something to play with during winter months ... and it's free ... :)
oldMohawk, I heard about windows 11 yesterday, supposedly this is the most radical/dramatic upgrade ever. Microsoft’s goal is to compete better with Apple, Google et al! I hope that is as seamless as expected!

I use an iPad with Apple iOS, an oldish computer positioned in front of an exercise machine running Linux Mint, and Windows 10 running in a pc and laptop. Win 10 runs best, syncs with all my other devices and now just works with few problems ... :)

I use an iPad with Apple iOS, an oldish computer positioned in front of an exercise machine running Linux Mint, and Windows 10 running in a pc and laptop. Win 10 runs best, syncs with all my other devices and now just works with few problems ... :)
I have a similar set up and yes windows 10 runs best. My iPad is a year old but not on my excexise machine! On there I have a VERY old iPod 80 GB with Bose headphones. I need to music to make me go

A Windows 11 .ISO image was 'leaked' and its on all the torrent sites to download, when I get the chance I'll install it on a spare PC or via VM to take a look.

I'm in no rush to upgrade, I've W10 running very happily and trouble free on multiple machines at home so as the old saying goes "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

A Windows 11 .ISO image was 'leaked' and its on all the torrent sites to download, when I get the chance I'll install it on a spare PC or via VM to take a look.

I'm in no rush to upgrade, I've W10 running very happily and trouble free on multiple machines at home so as the old saying goes "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
The leaked version of Windows 11 is known to have been hacked and could be a security risk for your data or computer.

Last edited:
Back