• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Villa Street Lozells

Image243.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for reposting this one topsy..villa st was quite a bit older than the most of the surrounding streets so these buildings may well have been built early to middle 1800s...the date when the pic was taken is wrong..will try and find out the one i have with the correct date on it.....times ive walked past here to and from farm st school...

lyn

thanks for reposting this one topsy..villa st was quite a bit older than the most of the surrounding streets so these buildings may well have been built early to middle 1800s...the date when the pic was taken is wrong..will try and find out the one i have with the correct date on it.....times ive walked past here to and from farm st school...

lyn

..considering the Ford Consul Zephyr in the garage wasn't invented until the 1950's!

Afraid directories not much good as both firms were there 1956-65, after when the number disappears, presumably demolished

Hi linda do you remember the SEYMOURS we lived up the road from you there was carol peter Steven Colin David maggie diane seymour

Good morning everyone... A few more names I remember from villa street either side of the vine pub was the rivers .and the packhams the packhams names were Leslie and alec the brothers sisters sheila janet jane packhams. also Maureen ivers Gary devlin Monica graham. the sheridens .more to follow need to rattle my brain

hello maggie...i remember doris and kenny rivers..they had a son steven who was about the same age as me...

lyn

I'm hooked on this sites now so interesting I have even sounded an air raid siren hubbie thought we were at wall in spain lol on a page I was today fascinating x

glad to have you onboard maggie....its smashing to chat to someone from the old end glad you are enjoying the forum..by the way i was at school with christine devlin

lyn x

The last night at the 120-year-old Vine Inn in Vine Street, Lozells, which closed in 1978 to make way for housing. From The Mail i think Vine St should have read Villa St.

Attachments

• vine.jpg
    vine.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 48
  • vine.jpg
    vine.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 49
Hi - I'm new here, so be gentle, please. My name is Gerald (John Gerald) Rice. My father, John Rice was a foreman at Watson's Garage in Villa Street around 1946 and I lived in the attached house. Mother's name was Elizabeth, and a younger brother, Stephen. Family originally from Co. Down. Does anyone, in particular, Eric Gibson, have any recollections? Eric had indicated in this thread that he worked at Gibson's over a 7-year period.

Thank you in advance,

Gerald Rice.

atimeofourlives@gmail.com

hello gerald do you have any photos of villa st or of watsons garage

all the best

lyn

I have been in contact with Eric Gibson and we have exchanged direct messages, the last being April 19th 2016. I tried to contact him May 3rd, but have not had a response. If anyone in the forum has contact with Eric, I would appreciate it if they could check if he got my message.

Thank you
Gerald

hi gerald i have just checked erics profile and he was on the forum only yesterday...how have you been trying to contact him...is it via private emails or by private messages from this forum..

lyn

Hi Lyn
I contacted Eric via private message on this forum (I do not have his email). He had memories of my family and working at Watson's Garage where my father was foreman. I had some further questions and recollections to share with him. I also wanted his permission to share our conversation on the forum-at-large
Thanks
Gerald

hi gerald you may noticed that we have a new look forum now and few things are different...such as the old private messages are now called conversations..to send a message just click on the inbox at the top right of the page and then click on start new conversation...they are still private though...i have just sent eric a message letting him know that you are trying to make contact..if you have any photos of villa st gerald i would love to see them..all the best.

lyn

hi gerald i have received a reply back from eric to say he has sorted it...by that i take it to mean he has messaged you..hope this has been of help to you

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
hi gerald i have received a reply back from eric to say he has sorted it...by that i take it to mean he has messaged you..hope this has been of help to you

all the best

lyn

Hello Lyn -
Thank you for your help in contacting Eric; I have spoken to him on the phone.
I was eager to maintain contact as he had worked with my father in the 1950s.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of Villa St.

Gerald

hello gerald...very happy to help..its great the way that this forum brings people together...if you have any memories of villa st would love to hear them...you may not have noticed but the photo on my avatar is of the vine inn villa st...happy days:)

lyn

hello brian and welcome to the forum..linda harrington here lived at 118 next to the bradys...how lovely to hear from someone else from the old end hope you are well...would love to hear your memories of villa st and the neighbours you remember...if memory serves me correctly you lived down the long entry and your house was on the left at the bottom..the york family lived on the right they had just the one son...do you remember david inston who lived in brougham st he is also a member of the forum and i think he was friends with your brother colin..

lyn

Last edited:
Hello lynn i kept the message short because i was not sure you would receive it.
Firstly i will bring you and your readers to date.
Edwin my father and the chimney sweep you refer to passed away 14 years ago. my mother edith who is now nearly 95 yrs young.
My elder brother ted is 76 yrs old. my elder sister carol passed away at the age of 24 whilst living in villa street.
I am next and i was 70 last april. roger is my next brother and he is 68 yrs, he is followed by allan
HI all. linda harrington here. i used to live at 118 villa street 1958 to 1971. what happy memories they were. next door lived the brady family and on the other side was the millers. carol miller was a mate of mine. further up the road was the beech family. mr beech was the local chimney sweep. other neighbours i recall are moorehouse. stone. milligan. joan doyle. linda wilcox. her mom and dad ran the shop 4 doors down. then of course there was the vine pub. dad taught me to play darts there. he used to play for the sports argus and was the local window cleaner. i am still searching for a photo of the vine pub if anyone can help. also any photos of the street and its houses. i could go on forever chatting about the old end so i will stop now. would love to hear from anyone i have mentioned or anyone who remembers me and my family.

hello brian dont worry about the length of your posts they dont have to be short ones....sorry to hear that your dad has passed and also your sister carol while living in villa st...but so pleased that your mom is going strong..how wonderful...do you have any photos of villa st if so we would love to see them ?? in the meantime could you confirm that this is your brother colin in the middle of this photo which was taken outside my house at 118..my sister anne is to the right of him

villa street finished.jpg

lyn

Back