• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Villa Street Lozells

Acorn pub (whilst trading as that name). Wheeler Street with side entrance in Wilton Street (if i have the correct location). Photo stated as 1959 with the licensee at the time a Ms. Valerie Fortnum. Premises alleged to have been previously a mortuary (maybe during the War?) if this matches up with oView attachment 55367ther peoples' information.

(Image posted under educational, non-commercial purposes).
Fantastic photo, would be good Lyn to put it on the wheelers st thread as well. Max

im really chuffed max and yes you are right..i will post it on the wheeler st thread as i would like lindev to see this pic..i am sure she said her family used to use the acorn...could be one of the other customers in the pic is a rellie of hers..

hi folio..im so sorry ive just gone through the posts again and i missed yours....what great memories your have of that little shop..you were living there at the same time as i was..i wonder if i know you or your family...if you have any photos of the street i would love to see them...

lyn

hi all just a quick update on the pic on post 89 showing our dad in the acorn pub...mirrorpix have emailed me the full pic which actually shows dad reading his newspaper plus the write up about the pub at one time being a morgue..the pic is not very good as the staff at the central library dont have a scanner suitable for scanning glass plates which is what format the pic is in...they hope to rectify this sometime this year and i will be sent a much better copy of it...the names of the other customers are also in the article... they spelt dads name wrong..should be harrington not hallington but hey who cares...i never thought i would see this pic...

lyn

Last edited:
thanks terry thats great..i tried to save the pic myself but it would not let me...if anyone could make it any clearer i would be very grateful...managed to get a good print of the pic on post 89 and its now framed and hanging on the wall but would like a good one of this pic as there is more showing....

cheers..

lyn

Have had a go Lyn, but there's so little detail on the newspaper version that there is nothing much to enhance. If they do get a scanner suitable for plates (I'm surprised they haven't got one- almost all their older pics ar probably on plates, and my scanner would take them) then you should get an even better picture than
the first version , as plates can give an enormous amount of detail
Mike

hi mike..thanks for tying i thought it may be a difficult task...the email i received also said that staff are shortly to be trained to use a new scanner for plates and then mirrorpix will send me a better version...must say they have been most helpful...but for now i am just so grateful to have the pic and the article..ive only just noticed that it was indeed the sunday mercury that it was in....

lyn

cracking pic of farm st school max...slightly differerent but the same year as the one i have framed and hanging up...this one of yours shows more of the right hand side...happy days..

cheers and keep em coming....

lyn

hi lynn
was the vine pub the one at the bottom end of villa street by the nursery rd end
and there was a news paper shop on the corner of villa street as you started to walk up the street
of villa street on the same side as the paper shop beiong on the corner
meaning the right hand side of the rd
if you walked down villa rd from the lozells end its on your left near the bottom, before you reach nurserty rd have aq nice day best wishes astonion

hi alan...on the 4 corners of nursery road and villa st was a post office..veg shop..the crown pub and a cafe...walking up villa st from nursery road the vine inn was on the left hand side..here is a map for you and the vine inn is marked out if you click on it it should enlarge...hope you are well alan and you have a nice day too....

lyn

I agree Max, but the date is a bit off, unless the car was transported by time machine
mike

its a cracking pic isnt it topsy..ive had this one in my collection for 3 years now..number 82 would have been just a few doors from the post offce which was on the corner of villa st/nusery rd...mike you are right of course the date is way off..the pic was taken when i was actually living in villa st..will check it and get back...

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
View attachment 60109Hi, this was the book the photo came from.It doesn,t actually date when the picture was taken.I Assumed it maybe was dating when the factory was built.I have a feeling my dad may have worked there for a while,I remember meeting him when i was about 9 or 10 when we lived in Clifford St. He was a polisher and used to come home as black as the grate.( one of our moms sayings)

View attachment 60109Hi, this was the book the photo came from.It doesn,t actually date when the picture was taken.I Assumed it maybe was dating when the factory was built.I have a feeling my dad may have worked there for a while,I remember meeting him when i was about 9 or 10 when we lived in Clifford St. He was a polisher and used to come home as black as the grate.( one of our moms sayings)

Thanks for the book info Topsy. Max

lyn. how strange.i have been looking in the shops for a tube of zebright. grate black but they have banned it.

You can get zebright, but no quite the same !!! :

Bible Highlighters another excellent Bible accessory is the Zebright Bible highlighter with pigment ink assures no bleed through or fading. Zebright Bible highlighter is Double ended for medium and fine for underlining. Smooth flowing long lasting ink

at https://www.internationalbibles.com/catalog/accessories/index.htm

Apparently Zeebo is available and you can find it on the net if you ignor ethe gaming system with the same name
Mike

Back