• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Villa Street Lozells

Hello lynn, sorry for sending you such a short message, but i was not sure if you would receive it.
Well i will bring you up to date with a few things.
Firstly edwin the chimney sweep who was my farther sadly passed away 14 years ago aged 84. my mother edith is still firing she will be 95 yrs next may. i have tried to explain your messages to her and brought huge smiles to her face. my eldest brother ted is 76, my elder sister carol passed away whilst living in vills street, she was 24 and would have been 74 now. i am next aged 70. my next brother is roger who is 68. next is alan aged 66. next is colin who is 65 yrs. next is p my sister gill who is 63 yrs. Next is roy aged 61 yrs, next is another sister pam 59 yrs, next is
Martin aged 57 and finally the baby robin aged 54.
Between us we may be able to help you and your other correspondents with all the missing bits.
If you lived in 118 villa st, then you were in my aunt uncle and cousins house, the taylors.
I was the local newspaper delivery kid from 1957 to 62 in which time i knew nearly every family. amongst our archives we may have photos you would be interested in. samuel beech was my farthers grand farther and my great grand farther. if you are interested in further information it would be easier to talk.

All thebest from mysef brian beech 1/126
HI all. linda harrington here. i used to live at 118 villa street 1958 to 1971. what happy memories they were. next door lived the brady family and on the other side was the millers. carol miller was a mate of mine. further up the road was the beech family. mr beech was the local chimney sweep. other neighbours i recall are moorehouse. stone. milligan. joan doyle. linda wilcox. her mom and dad ran the shop 4 doors down. then of course there was the vine pub. dad taught me to play darts there. he used to play for the sports argus and was the local window cleaner. i am still searching for a photo of the vine pub if anyone can help. also any photos of the street and its houses. i could go on forever chatting about the old end so i will stop now. would love to hear from anyone i have mentioned or anyone who remembers me and my family.

Hello lyn, very sorry but i have sent you another message the same because my tablet was saying that the first had not gone, yes that is martin. do you know all the others.

hi bri...ahh so thats martin not colin as i thought..you are most welcome to save that photo if you would like to..re the photo...from left to right..2 sisters not sure who they are??..margarite brady..martin..my sister anne..breda brady..the lady holding the baby is margaret brady lived at no 120 and i think the elder lady is bill the postmans mother..we used to call her nan.. i would love to see any photos you have bri if you could post them on here...if you wanted to chat personally i am happy to send you my tel number via our private message system..just let me know...

lyn

Last edited:
HI all. linda harrington here. i used to live at 118 villa street 1958 to 1971. what happy memories they were. next door lived the brady family and on the other side was the millers. carol miller was a mate of mine. further up the road was the beech family. mr beech was the local chimney sweep. other neighbours i recall are moorehouse. stone. milligan. joan doyle. linda wilcox. her mom and dad ran the shop 4 doors down. then of course there was the vine pub. dad taught me to play darts there. he used to play for the sports argus and was the local window cleaner. i am still searching for a photo of the vine pub if anyone can help. also any photos of the street and its houses. i could go on forever chatting about the old end so i will stop now. would love to hear from anyone i have mentioned or anyone who remembers me and my family.

Hi again, my mistake its colin

hi bri thanks for correcting that.. i was told it was colin...bri you dont need to use the quote button all the time..just write your reply in the box and click on post reply..i will delete the last but one post you made as there is no message with it...dont worry it will take you a while to get used to using the forum...i am still learning and ive been here for nearly 9 years:D what year did the taylors move out of no 118 ?...we were there from 1958 to 1972..can you please give my best regards to your mom bri and ask her if she remembers the york family who also lived down your entry..

lyn

Last edited:
Hello lynn, the pub on the corner of nursery road and villa street was an m&b called the crown, on the other corner of villa street and nursery road was the original villa street post office. Opposite was bert hopwood the green grocer. On the other corner was joes cafe. As hungry kids, if we made a penny we bought the best 1p tomato dip, it seemed like it in those days. You and i lived opposite the vine pub, but 60 yards up the street on the same side was an atkinson pub nicknamed dirty dicks. I have asked my mother what the real name was but shecan not remember. My mother and father drank in the angel. I will over christmas collect together as many photos as possible. We have quite a few of the street party in 53. If any of your friends need any answers i am sure i can answer most.
Brian beech

I'm still looking for a photo of Watson's garage where I worked in the early fifties and the Rice family lived. Gerald Rice was on here and we communicated with each other but he seems to have gone to ground recently.

hello bri..i have waited a long time for someone to join this forum who may have some photos of villa st so i cant wait to see what you can collect over christmas and post them on here...i have a photo of the 4 corners of villa st and nursery road showing the crown.the cafe..the post office and the veg shop...the pub just up from the vine was called the villa tavern and i also have a photo of that i did not know what its nickname was dirty dicks though:D...i will post them for you later on...its really good to talk to you bri.. have sent you a private message giving you my contact details.. (inbox top right of the main page)

lyn

Last edited:
The well worn signage above the doorway says 'Quality House' it seems. Looks a very busy sort of place enhanced by being a Post Office. I can't make out what Singleton & Son did (right behind lamp post) and I notice a scrap metal place to the left.

yes thanks carolina its one of mine...had it for about 9 years now loved that post office sold some smashing toys..ive still got my grandads savings book from there..nursery road running along..i think singletons were packing box makers but will have to check..date of photo is 29.10.1964

lyn

This Birmingham Mail photo - around 1978 - is labelled The Vine Inn, Vine Street. It was taken just before the pub was demolished. Viv.

Correction: the Vine Inn is in Villa Street - photo was labelled incorrectly by the Birmingham Mail newspaper.

image.jpeg

hi viv thats one of the photos i paid mirror pix for to send me that glossy copy should be on the forum somewhere...it was taken november 18th 1978 on the very last day the vine pulled pints..it was not in vine st though it was in villa st opposite my old house the man standing behind the man in the jumper is frank brady who lived next door to us..he and dad were friends for the best part of 50 years the landlord pulling pints took over the queens head farm st/hunters vale after he left the vine...one of my most treasured photos:)

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn - it was incorrectly labelled Vine St in the B'ham Mail newspaper. Shall move it to Villa Street thread - if it's not already on there. Viv.

no probs viv...it could be on the villa st thread..the vine inn thread or both:D but post it and i will try and check those threads later on...

lyn

Hi Lyn. The Mail also labelled Topsyturvey's post incorrectly in #137. She corrected it. Photo #169 wasn't on this thread - gone through it. Must be on the Vine Inn thread. Viv.

ok thanks viv i will check that thread later on...good job we know where we lived lol

lyn

Looks like they're drinking Mild - yum. And did the landlord don a suit especially for the newspaper or was he always smartly turned out? Viv.

and it would have been ansells mild viv...i think in those days a lot of landlords were well turned out but i guess he could have made a special effort for the day...:D

HEADS UP

hi folks myself and my brother are in the process of organising a villa st reunion...so far we have managed to find quite a few who lived in our street:) but if there is anyone out there from villa st or the old end in general who would like to join us please let me know...really excited about this ( i am going to talk for england:D:D)...date to be set

lyn

Last edited:
hi eric just wondering if you recall village cottage..think it would have been just a little way up from watsons garage...quiet a substantial building but i just cant remember seeing it...could be it was demolished when i was quite young...map below marking it out

lyn

map_c_1889_upper_part_Villa_St.jpg

Yes Lyn I remember that, it was a big house split up into flats and occupied by a few Irish people, ladies mostly, there was gossip. :)
The house next down from the garage was occupied by a man who drove a truck for Pearce & Cutler glass window makers, his load fell off on the corner of Nursery Road one morning and he claimed that someone had undone the ropes while it was parked overnight outside the house.

Hi Lynn
Here is a couple more for your collection may be regarding the villa cross pub
Two different looks from years ago and look at there adverts and names
best wishes Alan, Astonian,,,

Attachments

• ScanImage001.jpg
    ScanImage001.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 53
  • ScanImage002.jpg
    ScanImage002.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 53
thanks alan and thank you eric...i had a feeling that you may remember villa cottage...shame its gone as judging by the size of it it was a nice place and quite old as it is marked out on earlier maps...

cheers

lyn

Back