• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Villa Street Lozells

hi kev..i have this pic but thanks for posting it... i think it should be on the forum somewhere...what a great pic of the swan and whats even more important is that it shows a little bit of farm st..pics are hard to come by which i find amazing given the size of the street...

lyn

(Hi,
The John Devlin my father knew came from Tyrone, he named one of his sons Tyrone. In fact John Devlin did not appear on the picture as he was working, he was a caster, but he came to the reception in the evening at The Man O'War pub in Wheeler St.)

This pub was called The Acorn at the time I understand.

Acorn pub (whilst trading as that name). Wheeler Street with side entrance in Wilton Street (if i have the correct location). Photo stated as 1959 with the licensee at the time a Ms. Valerie Fortnum. Premises alleged to have been previously a mortuary (maybe during the War?) if this matches up with oView attachment 55367ther peoples' information.

(Image posted under educational, non-commercial purposes).

oh my god richie..where did you get this pic from...i will tell you why when you reply...

lyn

HI THERE RICHIE ;
Many thanks for the pics of the old pub ;and yes you can now stand easy ;
yes it was h old mortry in summer lane during those days you mentioned
and my mothers grand father ran a cafe with a joint in the front window then way back and he always wore the big white cheffs hat my mother told me way back then and also in the pre war days he made is money by standing out side lucas,s selling tea and sandwiches to the night workers during the war she also told me
and about the mortuary ; best wishes astonion ;;

richie..i am too excited and overcome to wait for your reply...even before i clicked on to enlarge the pic i knew straight away that this is the the pic i have spent many weeks and countless hours at the central library searching for....dad told me about 4 years back that his pic was in either the mercury or the evening mail sitting in the acorn wheeler st...the article was about the pub being used a murtuary at some point in time...he thought it was in the 60s so ive sat there for hours and hours trawling through the papers that are on film...i went from 1960 to 1969 to cover all the years as dad cant be specific and all to no avail...i had given up ever finding it and i dont know how to thank you..this has made my day...dad is at the front sitting down in his window cleaning overhalls checking his racing results....i can now print this out and take him a copy when i go to visit him...

richie..you are a star and i am in tears here because it means so much to me......xxxxx

Last edited:
Lynn that's just brilliant. The photo has a name embossed over it so you may be able to get a better copy. Richie might tell you more!

The name is mirrorpix, so possibly the picture was in the Daily Mirror, which is why you didn't find it.
I take that back, as the ref is BM_003172, so presumably the BM stands for birmingham mail

Lyn,
I am so HAPPY for you. No wonder you are in tears. What a brilliant thing to happen - wonderfull!!!!!!!!!!

Well done richie!!!!!

Polly

thanks wend mike..polly and shirley...i honestly dont think i would have found this pic...the thought of going though the evening mail from 60 to 69 would have taken an age and anyway i would not have found it as the pic was taken in 59.....to be honest i will take this pic even with the writting accross it but i think i may be able to get someone to scrub it out....

i owe richie a great debt and richie when i meet you at the christmas bash i am going to buy you biggest most expensive drink there is....

thank you once again...

lyn

TY TY everyone. Yes the photo is from the Daily Mirror newspaper archive. The index on there is like a disaster waiting to happen. Birmingham, Alabama often comes up instead of Birmingham,UK and then spelling mistakes will help the user get around on there better.

I often discover unknown gems-unknown even to the respective book publishers if its a book or website owners if on the internet-whilst digging for cinema and theatre items, which is why I have made the declaration as to study and not-for-gain purposes.

It seems however, whichever way round I put the information in on Mirrorpix, that this appears to be the only one of any location in this vicinity.

hi lynne..i am over the moon...just cant get over it.....

richie...if its out of the daily mirror i would never have found it...dad thought the eveing mail or the merc....what were the chances of you turning this pic up.....this forum never ceases to amaze me....

lyn

hi pol..ive been on the mirrorpix site and tried to order a copy..filled in all me details but it keeps asking me for my company name and im not a company lol..seems im stuck on this one...

any help would be great...

lyn

richie
There is one of them changing the sign of the "Man in the Moon" to the "Man on the Moon " in 1969
Lyn
You could try filling in the name of your company as Blue Brick enterprises (you do recover bricks and useful artifacts after all). I don't think they mind if you are not a company , its just that usually it is companies that want to pay for photos, so they automatically ask. I've certainly done that in the past when sites have asked for my company
Mike

lol mike...i like the sound of the blue brick enterprises...i shall use that...

thank you

lyn

thanks froth....getting one of the vine inn caused me enough grief but i always thought there was one out there somewhere but with this pic i was looking up the wrong years in the wrong newpapers...so many red herrings that i would never have found it...

lyn

Well what a scoop for you Lyn i,m sure this will bring back happy memories for your dad such a great find . Do Blue Brick Enterprises sell their bricks to farmyard Vets???? Dek

lynn .... So glad someone found this picture with your dad in it ,.... Its just great, i hope you can get a good copy .

Lyn, I think that's brilliant for you to have now got your picture, I bet it feels like Christmas. Well done Frothy for taking the words off.

What a great forum this is.

Shortie

lol dek...thanks everyone i still keep looking at it...

maur i am going to get the best copy i can...

thanks froth that is 100 per cent better...

sorry shortie i missed your post...yes i do feel xmas has come early as its one pic that i really thought i would never have...just goes to prove that we should never say never...

lyn

Back