• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Traction Engines

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
Here are some photos I picked up recently. I think they were taken at a local Steam Weekend in the 60s (ish).

Lovely pictures of traction engines there David. There is a farmer that stays not far from here, just up the hill past the golf club, and he has a traction engine that he brings down to the town whenever there is anything special happening. I havent seen either of them this summer now I think about it, but then again, we havent had a summer up here this year. But I will keep my ears and eyes open, and if he gives it some fresh air in the future, I will be there to take a couple of photos. Barry.

Here is a steam lorry I found outside a pub in Gosport. The passengers appeared to be on a steam driven pub crawl.

The first one, BL 4707, is a Wallis expansion engine, seen here (photo 1) at Kemble, Gloucestershire, in 2003.
The second is 1929 Aveling and Porter 12 ton roller "Cantankerous", which was at the Haverfordwest rally last year.
The third is an 1887 Marshall, BW 5249.
The fourth is 1919 Marshall DD 2007.
The fifth is 1914 Allchin compound "Little Mo", EB 4938 (photo 2)
and the sixth is Fowler showmans 'Road Locomotive' "Supreme", EU 5313.
Nice to know they're all still around - thanks for the vintage shots!

Hi David

Is your Avatar of the chalets at Southwold? If it is I was born a couple of hundred yards away in Marlborough Road.

Kind regards

Dave
Hi Dave, yes I've been going there most years for the last 20ish. Lately we've "upgraded" from one of the quaint old cottages close to the town centre (and The Lord Nelson!) to a modern bungalow very near the pier - easier going up the stairs!
It's still a lovely town, relatively unspoilt, unlike many of the other holiday resorts. We're going again in November over my birthday.
Here are 3 more pics.

And the last 3. I've been in touch with a chap from near Leamington by the name of Sanders whose grandfather owned the Sanders one.

Hi Dave, yes I've been going there most years for the last 20ish. Lately we've "upgraded" from one of the quaint old cottages close to the town centre (and The Lord Nelson!) to a modern bungalow very near the pier - easier going up the stairs!
It's still a lovely town, relatively unspoilt, unlike many of the other holiday resorts. We're going again in November over my birthday.
Here are 3 more pics.

Hi David,

Lovely pics, reminds me that even into the 1950s, East Suffolk
County Council were still using steamrollers. They used to come into Southwold towing the little vans and would stay overnight at the old
station yard opposite the end of Pier Avenue (where the Police Station
is now). Happy Days

Kind regards

Dave

Had a search of my PC but only found these 3 so far. Unfortunately I have had a clear out of many of the prints these were taken from but may still have more somewhere.

Steam_Rally_2.jpg Steam_Rally_3.jpg Steam_Rally_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a shame David. I know not all pictures can be re-instated but this thread doesn't seem to have any. It sometimes makes the threads not worth reading which is sad, so hopefully we can get some back..x

I sold most of them on eBay but I think I still have a few in the loft. Trouble is, it's bloomin freezing up there at the moment!

I have now found a few more photos which I will scan in and upload to the Forum. I lack the knowledge to identify the models though the makes should be obvious. I confess to not having loaded them previously as those already posted were of such good quality.

There's a similar rally held near here called the Smallwood Transport Festival. It's quite a big event and well attended.
I'm sure I've seen some of those traction engines, (and the RAF tender), there.

OK Here goes. I have a few more but Coppermine is throwing up an 'Error 500' notice in protest. Will load later.

Traction_Engines022.jpg Traction_Engines021.jpg Traction_Engines020.jpg Traction_Engines_037.jpg Traction_Engines_035.jpg

And a few more:

Traction_Engines_033.jpg Reflections_-_Science_Museum.jpg

The second photo show the traction engines and crowds reflected in the widow of the Science Museum extension that housed 'The City of Birmingham'. Look very closely and you may see beyond the glass.

More later once I have kicked this into life again.

Next 4 - please feel free to supply any detail and I will add to the post.
TractionEngines054_zps8fbb4950.jpg

TractionEngines053_zps9dde5524.jpg

TractionEngines051_zps58c6a4d2.jpg

TractionEngines050_zpseaac5937.jpg

And there's more:

TractionEngines049_zpsb4ce7df9.jpg

TractionEngines048_zps5bb791c7.jpg

TractionEngines047_zpsa642f04e.jpg

TractionEngines046_zps7efa8c7b.jpg

A Fowler showmans engine

And nearing the end:

TractionEngines044_zpsc87e0720.jpg

A McLaren traction engine

TractionEngines043_zpsdeafba13.jpg

An Aveling and Porter Roller

TractionEngines040_zpsd8faf011.jpg

TractionEngines045_zps6cc30651.jpg

And that completes the photos I took on the day.

As I said I welcome any information on the vehicles pictured and will add this willingly if I get the information.

I have a reasonable knowledge of traction engines but i'm far off being an expert, I can identify the following:

Post 24 - photo 4 is a Fowler showmans engine
Post 25 - photo 1 is a McLaren traction engine
Post 25 - photo 2 is an Aveling and Porter roller. Note the prancing horse badge, used by this firm long before Ferrari cars were heard of!!

Simon

8BD4FDBF-B331-42EF-BA50-ACCB16E2F3AC.jpeg

“Traction Engine Rally….
Each May Birmingham holds a steam rally outside the Museum of Science and
Industry. The rally includes a parade around St Paul's Square and the church that James Watt and Matthew Boulton both had links.”

Positively Birmingham by Berg, Jonathan, Publication date 1994

Back