• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Woodman Tavern Duddeston Row New Canal St

Viv
I've come across that quite often. At first I thought it was because the pub was closing down, but later often found evidence that it was still there a few years later. So in the end I decided that often the brewing equipment was personally owned by the licensee

That’s what I thought too Mike, that maybe the pub was closing in the 1860s. But that explains it thanks. Viv.

Hi everyone,
Please can I ask, are The Woodman and the Curzon Street Station due to be demolished for HS2?
Harriet

I will have to put the Woodman on my list of priority jobs as I did a lot of groundwork on Duddeston Row and have plenty of information on the Carriers' Arms, Golden Horse, Thatched House, Unicorn and, of course, the Woodman. I have the building plans for the latter, the old inn signs, plenty of pics etc. The attached image is from February 2006 when there was little decent beer to be had in the place.

Attachments

• Woodman [Feb 2006].jpg
    Woodman [Feb 2006].jpg
    902.6 KB · Views: 20
Delighted The Woodman will survive HS2. I was so glad to discover that the place my grandmother lived as a child had actually survived, given the rest of the street didn’t. Thank you to everyone for the photos and other info - real finds for my family history research. Hope I might go there one day.
Harriet

Mr Jim Gilnagh.

Attachments

• E334524A-E661-4050-84F2-26FEA2568DC5.jpeg
    E334524A-E661-4050-84F2-26FEA2568DC5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 91661B9E-41C1-426E-97AC-E846DE283027.jpeg
    91661B9E-41C1-426E-97AC-E846DE283027.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 0EFFDEDF-B571-49A5-9C93-8CFB249C7DD1.jpeg
    0EFFDEDF-B571-49A5-9C93-8CFB249C7DD1.jpeg
    488.1 KB · Views: 11
I am thinking about doing a bit of Duddeston Row. It is, however, one of the streets for which I have very few images. Anyway to clear up a few things I have seen on the thread here is a map I have prepared for my page. It is based on a 1945 map though I should stress that by this point the only pub trading out of this collection was the Woodman Inn. For example, the Golden Horse closed in 1935 and the Thatched House Tavern ceased to be a pub in 1906.

duddeston-row-map-1945.jpg

Well, I have made a start with the Golden Horse which can be traced back to 1797 so is probably the oldest of the Duddeston Row taverns ....

Does anybody know for sure where Chapel Yard was? There is an older listing for a Golden Horse at Chapel Yard - could be Saint Bartholomew?? If this is the case it would not be the building of 1797.

There are a number of mentions of 'chapel yard' associated with various churches - St Bartholomew's, St Mary's, St Paul's, St Mark's - in 1820s newspapers. So was it just a generic name for a yard of a chapel/church?

Most of the articles do seem to be about St Bartolomew's though.

There are a number of mentions of 'chapel yard' associated with various churches - St Bartholomew's, St Mary's, St Paul's, St Mark's - in 1820s newspapers. So was it just a generic name for a yard of a chapel/church?

Most of the articles do seem to be about St Bartolomew's though.

Thanks MWS, I have done what I can within the text added for the Golden Horse ...

Happy New Year to all BHF members.

I was going to flit from one pub to another on Duddeston Row and make it a chronological thingybob but I was only confusing myself. Consequently, I have so far concentrated on the Thatched House Tavern on the corner of Fox Street. For those interested, and for what I believe is a complete list of 19th century licensees, here is the link ...

Back