• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Woodman Tavern Duddeston Row New Canal St

bill.dargue

master brummie
Hi folks! I'm researching for a friend The Woodman on New Canal Street opposite Curzon Street Station. It may be going to reopen!
He's interested in the history of the building and would particularly like to see interior photos and exterior ones before the surrounding buildings came down.

Here's the listing information:
The Woodman Public House Grade II Listed
1896-7, by James & Lister Lea. Brick and terracotta; slate roof. 2 storeys.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ground floor of principal façade with round-arched entrances and segment-headed [/FONT]windows. lst floor of principal facade repeats rhythm of the ground floor with narrow windows divided by glazing bars above the entrances and wide windows with brick mullions above the windows. Gablets in the roof above the narrow entrance bays. Interior. Public Bar with original counter and bar back with engraved and gilded mirror glass and much tiling. Smoke Room with original seating and tiling. Relatively complete example of a type of small corner pub produced in Birmingham by these architects C1900.

Any help much appreciated, Bill

Edit! Unfortunately the photo referred to below is no longer available,

I may be of interest to note that since this photo was taken the bus and the roadway that the bus is traveling on have since gone leaving the pub alone the bus has since been scraped and the roadway dug up and replaced with a park

Hi folks! I'm researching for a friend The Woodman on New Canal Street opposite Curzon Street Station. It may be going to reopen!
He's interested in the history of the building and would particularly like to see interior photos and exterior ones before the surrounding buildings came down.

1896-7, by James & Lister Lea. Brick and terracotta; slate roof. 2 storeys.
Ground floor of principal façade with round-arched entrances and segment-headed windows. lst floor of principal facade repeats rhythm of the ground floor with narrow windows divided by glazing bars above the entrances and wide windows with brick mullions above the windows. Gablets in the roof above the narrow entrance bays. Interior. Public Bar with original counter and bar back with engraved and gilded mirror glass and much tiling. Smoke Room with original seating and tiling. Relatively complete example of a type of small corner pub produced in Birmingham by these architects C1900.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would make a change though, an old pub re-opening instead of closing, it could be a goldmine with its proximity to Millenium point, if it is run the right way1
Sue

I've only got exteriors from the last 4 years.

Here's The Woodman with Eastside City Park - December 2012

The Woodman with snow - January 2010

The Woodman and Curzon Street Station, again with snow - January 2010

The Woodman on New Canal Street - February 2010

On a recent visit to Millenium Point, a receptionist told me that The Woodman had been acquired, with a 25-year lease, and that it was scheduled to reopen in May, which if true is excellent news.

No that's the only one.

Unless you are thinking of the boarded up Eagle & Tun

And there was also a Moby Dick's (not sure on the fate of either)

Moby Dicks is quite close to the new BCU campus in Eastside.

There was another Woodman pub on Easy Row, which was criminally demolished to make way for various concrete eyesores. I don't want to post any pictures because it's a heart breaker.

And there was also a Moby Dick's (not sure on the fate of either)

Moby Dicks is quite close to the new BCU campus in Eastside.

The Moby Dicks pub is going to be incorporated into the Birmingham City University (BCU) Phase 2 building which will be built alongside.

The BCU Phase 1 building is currently being built next to the Millenium Point building and is nearly finished.

They are due to start building the BCU Phase 2 soon.

Here is an idea of what it will look like (it wont be a pub !)

https://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1804/bcu2.png

The little bit of research that I have done shows that there was a pub there? since at least 1868 the other thing to know is that the address then was
Duddeston Row number 31, A quick look reveals it may have been called "the thatched House" and that in the 1848 directory there is/was a Thatched House Tavern and Commercial Inn, Henry Hewson 47 Duddeston Row as we know the Post Office renumbered a number of Streets in Brum in the late 1800,s I suspect that there was a pub? at that address for a long time

1896-7, by James & Lister Lea. Brick and terracotta; slate roof. 2 storeys.Ground floor of principal façade with round-arched entrances and segment-headed windows. lst floor of principal facade repeats rhythm of the ground floor with narrow windows divided by glazing bars above the entrances and wide windows with brick mullions above the windows. Gablets in the roof above the narrow entrance bays. Interior. Public Bar with original counter and bar back with engraved and gilded mirror glass and much tiling. Smoke Room with original seating and tiling. Relatively complete example of a type of small corner pub produced in Birmingham by these architects C1900.

It is great news if the "Woodman", is to reopen, I used the pub a lot as a kid, great tiled loo's, as I remember. it was so sad that in the sixty's, and seventy's, the destruction wrought on Birminghams heart and soul, and mainly Victorian heritage was awful.
pau

I am told that the new east side park cost £40 million,add that to the many millions already spent on ''Structures'' in that area and only one small building stands out architecturally ''The Woodman''....long may it reign.

harsh statement guilbert53...derekw did say small building not huge. Island house has sadly gone so that takes it out of the equation

Wrong, it was 12 million.

You have not noticed the huge Curzon St station nearby then.

Island House just a few yards away was a far nicer looking building than the Woodman, until that was knocked down a few months ago.

https://placepics.triposo.com/W__73989349.jpeg

I'm talking about the present.Island House is'nt there any more is it and I certainly and personally would'nt rate Curzon St as some Architetectural gem...and £12 million was a waste.

Great news about the Woodman reopening and in such good hands too. I used to drink there in the eighties. No photos I'm afraid, but I do remember the story about the mirrors being mixed up between the three pubs - the Woodman has the Eagle and Tuns' mirrors, and I believe the Woodman mirrors went to the Fox and Grapes.

1896-7, by James & Lister Lea. Brick and terracotta; slate roof. 2 storeys.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ground floor of principal façade with round-arched entrances and segment-headed [/FONT]windows. lst floor of principal facade repeats rhythm of the ground floor with narrow windows divided by glazing bars above the entrances and wide windows with brick mullions above the windows. Gablets in the roof above the narrow entrance bays. Interior. Public Bar with original counter and bar back with engraved and gilded mirror glass and much tiling. Smoke Room with original seating and tiling. Relatively complete example of a type of small corner pub produced in Birmingham by these architects C1900.

Hello everyone,
If this is The Woodman Inn that used to be on Duddeston Row then my Great Grandparents were the landlords in 1911 aged 32 and 28 and my maternal grandmother was 8 years old; and there was a living in servant Emma Haddock age 24.

With the announcement of HS2 going ahead as of 11 Feb 2020, I have decided to educate myself on Curzon Street railway station and any other building/s that are still standing near Curzon Street. If anyone can add anything to improve my knowledge I would be grateful.

This newspaper notice about an auction at the Woodman struck me as slightly odd. It seems that not only was all the brewing equipment, furniture and stock in the pub sold, but it seems the fixtures and fittings were too. Maybe the pub became less viable after Curzon Street Station closed to passenger traffic ? Viv.

000AE55D-71CA-4F62-9E0C-311DCDC7E3AA.jpeg

Back