• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Royal Air Force

n767714583_600972_2254.jpg
[/IMG]
here's a pic of Simon with all his mates when they were in Newfoundland in April.

John, the easy way out is to load the image onto you computer and add it as an attachment.

Morning everyone,
I was at Conningsby last week, the weather was lousy, torrential rain most of the time.
There is no memorial as such (have we got one anywhere in the country) they just have a few planes which were involved, and they roll them out of the hangar most days, but not last week I'm afraid, so no photos.

My Dad was RAF groundcrew, and like all my generation I regret not asking him many questions about his service. H told me he went to canada with the Commonwealth training programme on the Queen Mary, and by the end iof the war he was at Fradley I think getting ready to go out to Far East. Don't know much else and don't know where to start to find out about his service.

I regret not asking him many questions about his service.
One type of aircraft I worked on, was a Vickers Varsity. On an aviation forum, many pilots regard them with affection- they call them names ranging from 'flying pigs' to 'gentleman's flying machines'. The Varsity had a map reading 'bomb bay' with front windows giving a brilliant view. I must admit they don't look 'high-tech'. When our first came to Topcliffe, we climbed in and found out that it started to tip backwards if too many of us were at the back end. We didn't ask our Dads about things such as service life etc, but I've noticed my Son's eyes glaze over when I talk about my time in RAF, so we keep quiet and live with our memories.:)

Back