• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Royal Air Force

O

O.C.

It was the R.A.F. which struck the first blow for Britain. On September 4th, 1939, a
force of Wellingtons raided the German bases at Kiel and Wilhelmshaven, inflicting tremendous damage on the harbour and warships gathered there in, and pressing home the attack with such determination that some of the bombers skimmed the mastheads of the enemy's ships, and the crews were able to see the German sailors scuttling to cover. That raid must have shaken the Germans badly, for it showed them the sort of medicine they could expect from our men in the following weeks
The R.A.F. was divided into divisions consisting of Fighter Squadrons, Bomber
Squadrons, Army Co-operation Squadrons, Coastal Patrol Squadrons, and the Fleet Air Arm. The Fighter Squadrons were Great Britain's chief line of defence against air attack. Every one knows of the glorious deeds of our pilots in their Spitfires and
Hurricanes. Which I have covered in another post on the forum
These single-seater fighters were capable of speed so 367 and 336m.p.h. respectively, but immensely fast as these aeroplanes are they were already being surpassed by new fighters coming into use.
The Bomber Squadrons on the other hand are the R.A.F.'s chief weapon of attack. There are three main kinds of bombers, light, medium, and heavy. The latter are the big boys of the Royal Air Force. They were manned by a crew of five or six men, and were capable of carrying many thousands of pounds of high explosives far into enemy territory. These Battle Bombers could reach a speed of 257 m.p.h.
Army Co-operation Squadrons, as their name implies, work with the ground forces, while the Coastal Patrol Squadrons guarded our long coastline. These Coastal Patrol
Pilots are the hardest worked men in the R.A.F., for they have to be out in all weathers, sunshine, storm, summer or winter, finds them constantly on the job of watching out for hostile aircraft or shipping, guarding our own vessels against
lurking U-boats, and sometimes, when the opportunity offers, bringing down a rash invader marked with the crooked cross.
Actually the Fleet Air Arm is not part of the R.A.F., but. is under the control of the Admiralty. The duties of the pilots are many. They guarded our ships against hostile air attack. When the fleet is at sea they act as scouts, and during an action they help the gunners by sending back wireless messages giving the results of their fire, while now and then there are glorious moments such as that at Taranto, when they set out all on their own to spread havoc among the foe. The planes used on this occasion were Fairey Swordfish Biplanes. These machines could each carry a single torpedo slung under the fuselage, and they must have looked a terrible sight as they come swooping down towards the target till they were within twenty-five feet of the water, when they release their torpedoes at point-blank range, and then, with a roaring engine, zoom up into the sky again, leaving behind them devastation and ruin.
Perhaps the most wonderful aeroplane ever invented is a wooden one. This aeroplane is called the " Queen Bee," and it can take off from land or sea, rise to a height of 10,000 feet, and there perform all the manoeuvres of an ordinary aeroplane, and yet there is no pilot on board. How was that marvel performed? The answer was wireless. Somewhere on the land or on board a ship at sea there is a man sending out radio signals which are picked up by delicate instruments inside the Queen Bee, and according to the signals she receives the pilotless aeroplane will dive and soar, bank this way and that, loop the loop and do anything that her controller desires, while on the earth or the ship below anti-aircraft gunners are trying to shoot down the swiftly-moving target. For that is the purpose of this wonderful wooden aeroplane. She is a target, as near the real thing as human ingenuity can make her, and many a Dornier and Messerschmitt owes its destruction to the skill our gunners learned from shooting at the "Queen Bee."
I have not touched yet on the subject of the Lancaster Bomber a truly great aircraft along with her magnificent crew who had to go on many many endless missions over enemy territory.......Brave, Brave Men All of them and we should never forget the sacrifices they made
Photo 1 is a great shot of the Great pilots who were like ......I'd call it  the three musketeers
Photo 2 shows the Men from the Dominions at a Flying training school, in the foreground is a Miles Master

I have a photograph of I am sure are cadets.......on the back of the photo is written unit DIGBY.. ---37 Date 2-8-42
and printed RAF OFFICAL ...........I am sure it has Brummie connections.....but not certain......maybe someone might know....

John, the plane looks very like a Lysander 50' made by Westland and used for air-sea resue, target towing and training.

I thought it might have some connection to Castle Vale.......only because of the public house called the Digby futher up the Chester Road......the photo came with a bundle of books I brought on Birmingham a couple of years ago....ta for the reply anyway....my knowlege on this subject is zero.....

John,
Further to Cromwell's reply, the Lysander looks like quite ungainly, but in fact had remarkable STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) capabilities, due to a very advanced wing design. It had a very flexible undercarriage with large wheels. As well as the roles Cromwell mentioned, Lysanders were used for army co-operation duties, as well as the dropping of, and picking up of secret agents from unprepared fields at night in enemy occupied territory. There are at least two Lysanders flying regularly at air shows nowadays, and there is an example in the RAF Museum at Hendon.

After seeing your picture I've been scratching my head trying to think where there was an air cadet place with a plane in the front yard.

It must have been in the Kingstanding, Perry Bar or Perry Common area somewhere.

Hawthorn Road springs to mind but I'm not sure. E.

There used to be one in Whitehouse Common ( just down from Pype Hayes Park )

Ta for all the replys.....

I went to Hendon a few years ago....while my son was stationed at Hendon Police Training Centre......I have some photos of the museum I will have to see what I have got....

The air cadets were located on the corner of Kingstanding Road and Goodway Road, not far from the cross roads of Hawthorn/Dyas Roads with the Kingstanding Road.....I had forgotton all about that place until you mentioned it

I have heard of Whitehouse Common....but I always thought it was between Tamworth and Sutton.......if it was close to Pype Hayes Park...then the photo could be local.....like I have already stated there is a pub called the Digby close to the park and maybe that is where they got the name from.....or it could be the other way round......the book which the photo was included in was a local home guards (BCT), which I no longer have...someone made me a very good offer......but I did take some digital photos of the pages....

There used to be an aircraft outside A T C centre at the T A barracks in Barrows lane Sheldon. I think the Digby pub got its name from Simon Digby There is also a School not to far away Called Simon Digby.

Iam sure Castle Brom had an ATC after the war as we used to watch them fly the gliders in over the Kingsbury Road from out side the Drome Cafe'
I do not know if they had one before or during the war?

It was the T. A. Center and the Army cadet force at the corner of Goodway Road and Kingstanding Road

Bagdad

I have been going through some old photo's lately and found my dads album from when he was in the Royal Air Force in the 40;s. He spent a lot of time in Bagdad and there are lots of photo's. I f anyone would be interested , I will sort some out and put them on. Would this be the correct place to post them?

Royal Air Force ----my dad

BLINDA 1944 BNAF
JONES OF IRAQ IS MY NAME
JONES OF IRAQ OF DESSERT FAME
IN THE BAZAR'S YOU WILL HEAR THE SHOUT
JONES THE ARAB CATCHER IS HERE ABOUT

That was in the front of dads album, big photo say's BLINDA 1944
top row left to right CHIPPY GILLYBRAND HARRY CORK
bottom TOM JONES my dad JICK WARREN or it could be JACK
other photo no names.
Some of the other photo's I will put on have no information on.

My dad

1st

HAWKER HARTS OVER TIGRIS
2nd
KING GHAZI'S PALACE
3rd
LOOKING DOWN AT CAMP

no info on others

Got to go to Brum now, so if you want to see anymore I will carry on later or if late back the week end

Last edited:
Thank you Patty, It's strange that these old photographs no matter on what topic seem to have a comforting affect.

Back