• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Royal Air Force

i got mom talking tonite about her happiest days,she said it was the war years,rather than go into munitions,she went with my dad to upper heyford in oxfordshire for a while before he moved to raf coningsby in lincs,one day she said it was pretty quiet,nobody about at all ,or planes,just her hanging out the washing,when a lone german fighter(could have been anything,bomber,fighter ),appeared,and as there was nothing about ,it did a strafing run towards mom and the washing ,now even the canadian airmen werent quick enough to catch mom off guard so fritz had no chance,quick dive into a ditch and let the washing get shot up,she heard later it had been shot down,lucky for him ,he wouldnt want to have mom and her shot washing.
its very hard to my generation to relate to this and the effect the circumstances had on ordinary peoples lives,for instance,at upper heyford,there was a dance nearly every week,by the runway and people would be dancing around,when the word a bomber was coming in ,people could tell by the sound of the engine whether they would make it or not,mom and other people would run out onto push bikes and light the paraffin lamps down the runway to guide em in,the little band would stop,and all went quiet listening to the sound of the engines,people knew they werent going to make it,there would be unerving silence,then the huge explosion as the bomber blew up,then in all this madness the band would strike up ,people danced on while the rescue teams went out(also hard to believe now was the priority was not the crew but the perspex in the turrets,but as mom said they got the crews first ,bugger the perspex),they lost many many canaidians at heyford,i used to take mom and dad back just to see the graves 18 19 20 21 year olds,never to go back,their are 2 canaidian airman buried at burnham on sea ,when i take mom for a few days away even now ,i have to take her to them so she can just touch their headstones after all this time and likes to think that these lads parents know someone is visiting.
on a brighter note,dad used to tell me of the time they wanted to go into oxford,winston churchills lady driver was on the camp,so one of the canaidians chatted her up for the nite while the others nicked her car,unfortunatly it broke down on the way back so it was abandoned and they hitched a lift back.winny was not amused and the young lady in question had a severe reprimand(but i think she thought it was worth it).
shortly after dad was moved to coningsby,and i remember many years later reading his flight log,i can still picture the names now,submarine pens,lille,st nazaire,oil fields at ploesti,hamburgh ,dresden,chemical factories in poland,being chased back by a me109 over the channel,being grateful when the engines packed up on the way out and having to return knowing they were sending most of them to certain death.i asked him years later about dresden,he said you never saw what you did below,you just worried about the curtain of flack in front of you hoping you would get through it and seeing bombers going down either side of you,or even worse the yanks above just dropping their bombs on the bombers flying below them,there were many brought down that way,today they call it friendly fire.
they once landed a lanc at snitterfield airfield(they said it couldnt be done),they were going to see an injured crewman at warwick hospital,when they went to take off again a huge crowd had turned up knowing they werent going to get off ,but they did,but only just,they then took it over rookery rd handsworth so one of them could see his house.unfortunatly later on in years when the alzheimers and parkinsons took over he just took everything to do with the raf and destroyed it.
the famous line IF ONLY I HAD ASKED MORE QUESTIONS but you always think i will do it later.
i took him back to coningsby and upper heyford in his later years but his mind had gone and it meant absolutly nothing to him.i also took mom back recently to heyford to see my cousin who had bought the house next door to the pub THE BELL,and in there was the man who mom and dad lodged with (he was very young then) and he said to me ,weall remember your mom as RED as she always had huge bright red nails and looked like a film star.i had to stop him there in case any more skeletons came rolling out the cupboard,think i would rather not know.she still cries a bit now when she talks about all the young men who tragically died far from home by accident or just never came back,lest we forget eh?

This is how our boys were entertained, the attached photos are of the RAF SALVATION ARMY BAND taken at Blackpool in 1941.My cousin ALBERT LAMB is 5th from the right front row & his sisters husband to be BRAMWELL QUATERMAINE is second from the right mid row.All these boys were members of the Savation Army/RAF from all over the country.
My cousin ALBERT also play in the RAF Wythall Band,(Here he is in 1938? second from the right front row.
ASTON

Dolly, I have just read your fascinating post about your parents life during the war, utterly absorbing, thank you. You must keep asking your mom for her memories as they are priceless. We all wish we had asked more questions when our parents and grandparents were alive, although in a lot of cases even if you did ask they didn't always want to tell you, seems strange now, but that was how it was at the time.

Dollyferret, I have to agree with Syilva what wonderful recollections, thanks for sharing it with us, and thanks to your Mom for telling you. As Sylvia says, even if we asked they did not always want to tell us.

Didn't know where to post this:

Air Commander Lord Willoughby de- Broke MB AFC - The MB I have never heard of - could it be a mistake ?

I tried to find out on the web and Encarta - missing some discs - I thought if anyone would know it would be you

You are great Graham - I 'm blowed if I could find it - I did't want to write anything that was questionable - especially when it comes to these matters - Thanks a million

Wow Graham - I will keep that clipping if you don't mind - Dad was honoured to have met the man - I guess so were the others in the squadron - I do know he was well liked

I am not sure but I think he was appointed Wing Commander by his predecessor?

I came across a picture of a painting of one his ancestors the other day 14th Baron Willoughby de Broke having supper with his family - it was painted by German painter Johan Zoffany -

Have to admire you know your stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
Dolly,
I found your item about your mom and dads time inWW2
very interesting,thanks for sharing with us,pity you did not have your dads log book,how interesting that would have been,you must be very proud of your Mom & Dad

Graham I have just seen the other picture now of Lord Willoughby de Broke - Thank you

dad's photo's while serving in Iraq

I managed to get the album off my sister but there isn't a lot of aircraft photo's, mostly of the place it's self and fellow airmen.
There are a couple I remember vividly as a child, one of a skeleton of a man and another of a hanging. I didn't put these on incase you thought it bad taste.
The 1st few are titled in the album New Imps " CALPURNIA" crashed Lake HABBANIYA IRAQ 28. 11. 38 4 killed

Last edited by a moderator:
More photo's

Sorry I put 2 of the same on.
These of A KING GHAZI 26th MAY 1939
He must have been killed in a car crash as the photo's show the wrecked car and his funeral. Hope it's not to morbid for you. I think there is a picture of his Palace on a previous photo.

Patty, Thanks for putting theses photo's on the forum they provide a snapshot in time......the King was indeed killed in a car crash and a lot of people thought he had been assassinated as his sympathies were with the Germans in WW2

dad's photo's

Here are the last few as all of the other's and there are loads, are of dad and his buddies.
This is how they travel it say's under the photo Flying carpet, my girls loved to look at this one when they were small.
Ghandi's garden in India
The one on the horse is them having some fun at Xmas
One of troops embarking at Port Sudan.

The word Squadron was a term adopted by the R.A.F ….from the Navy and the Cavalry, a Squadron in the R.A.F. corresponds to a regiment in the Army.
It is the basic tactical unit, a number of Squadrons forming a Wing, so many Wings a Group, and so to the Command.
The Squadron itself is usually divided into two or three Flights, each of at least three machines.
If in a squadron formation a Squadron of fighters or bombers will fly in a ‘V’ with three Flights of three machines each

Peace At Last

Now the skies are empty
No longer cannons roar?
Or see spits and Hurris
Balancing up the score!

Memories are still vivid
Through all these many years
At times I reminisce
Shed a few silent tears

No glory in this war
Countless lives were lost
Not forget the price we paid
Its dreadful high human cost!

All who value freedom
Get down on bended knee
Thankful for our brave airmen
For defending our liberty!

Was the result all worth it?
Can one not honestly say?
In the heart of England
Live in peace for now anyway!

I was a member as a lad of the ATC and attended 492 Sqaudron huts situated on the Stratford Road opposite Hall Green Railway Station.

Will.

Hi Will,

only just come across your posting and thought you might like to know that I too was a member of the Air Training Corps 492 Squadron based at Hall Green. As 13 year old I was taught to fly Canadian D.H. Chipmunks based at Middle Wallop in Hampshire. It was my intention to make a career in the RAF and was accepted into RAF Halton as an apprentice instrument fitter, but my mum (a war widow) wouldn't sign my papers. My ATC number at Hall Green was 492 737 and I left there in 1961 to become a racing cyclist.

https://www.birmingham-revisited.com/GrahamWebb/tabid/56/Default.aspx

Graham.

Graham,
Nothing as exciting for us, on my day. We attended a summer camp at RAF Swinderby, Lincolnshire one year and flew, as extra 'crew', in Varsity aircraft over the North Sea. Cannot now recall the names of the supervisory ATC members at 492.
Due to my membership of the ATC when I joined as a National Serviceman I was given the service number beginning with 314.... instead of, if I recall correctly 282..... Gave me an air of difference in those days.
For the life of me I cannot now recall the number I was given in the ATC and you must have been well enamoured to recall yours. Still life took a different course for you and one can wonder what you would have become had you enlisted. Will.

Will,

we had some great and varied times with 492 squadron; I think there was a sarg called Baines, my friends were Bendy & Harvey. We had a good commander and through his connections two of us were allowed to visit the then fully operational 'V' bomber station at RAF Gaydon in Warwickshire. They were equipped with Victor and Valiant fully operational atomic armed 'V' bombers that and were 24/7 in the air and ready for war. There we flew in a link trainer and were even allowed to go into the Valiant flight simulator and go inside the computer that was driving it using thousands of pounds an hour in electric! We also flew Chipmunks out of Linton-on-Ouse, Yorkshire. Also flew on engine test flights with H.P. Beverly’s, this was then the largest freight plane. At Middle Wallop I was given the opportunity to fly, navigate and land my Chipmunk, what a thrill at 14! Beats 'Play Station' anyday in any age. :cool:

Graham.

Cadeau,
Had to wait until I was in the RAF before I was allowed to fly, as such. Then, it was only because I did the nitty grit to a system of points for married officers to obtain housing on base. Well the CO should have done it but hated the job so, on the bribe of flying with him, I did it for him.
Stationed in HQ Fighter command,11 Group and he took me up in both a chipmonk and a Gloucester Meteor. Allowed me at the controls of both. The first was a treat but the latter one I was so cautious with he got fed up in my flying in a straight line. Had a great two years and would never have missed it.

Most of you will remember the night that the film BATTLE OF BRITAIN was showing at The Odeon New Street. In those days I was a driver at Golden Line Private Hire, whose office was on Holloway Head, near Holloway Circus. In the wee small hours I got a job to pick up from Digbeth Police Station. The pick up was a couple who were getting on in years and he was not too good on his feet. I had to take this couple to Ludlow I think it was. They had been to see the film and their car was stolen from a multi storey car park. When we got Ludlow They had left their house keys in the car and I had to climb through a window and let them in the front door. We went into what was originally a cellar and the woman did me a fry-up and a couple of cups of coffee. Next night this storey was in the Mail. It said the couple were Douglas Bader and I suppose his wife. The comical part is this, he had gone to the wrong car park and his car was still where he had left it.:beam:

Mossy, as I recall they were a nice couple. When I was in my teens I never thought that one day I would have a pooter and be able do this sort of thing. I wish I had been gifted with the foresight some of the others on these forums had.

Hi everyone,
My grandson is with the Eurofighters at RAF Conningsby in Lincolnshire.
I am going up to paint a mural on his baby's nursery wall on Wednesday, and no doubt will be visiting the base, which is also home to the Battle of Britain Memorial.
If any one wants pics of anything please let me know before Wednesday.

John you must be very proud of your son. We are proud of him as well. I hope you enjoy your time there and I am sure the mural will be lovely.
I think a photo of the Battle of Britain memorial will be appreciated by many of us.:)

Back