• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Old Green Man

Vivienne

Does not the inside of the front or back cover of the book give any indication as the origin of the drawing or drawings, they usually do.

Hi Alan. Thanks for that. We may be able to pin it down through a local directory. It's a pity there's no date to this. Phil - no unfortunately it doesn't give any references for it.

The other possibility I thought about was that maybe the pub was later the Acorn in Erdington High Street. I know it's now further down the road, but was it once called the Green Man? Viv

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scoured the book again and found a reference in tiny writing further into the book. It is in fact the corner of Church Road, off High Street Erdington. It's the Parish Church and the Green Man, later the Acorn. So it was in the High Street folks. It's from a painting by an unknown artist. Will post it on the Erdington thread as it's an interesting part of the High Street. Thanks for all your comments. Viv.

Hi viv,
I have to say I am habit sceptical about the church being st barb,because it would be to far down the high street
And if you came down those back road seven from orchard red you would come to Kingsbury red
If we come up gravelly hill if I am correct the first turning on your right would have been Kingsbury road go along to the bottom
You come to the cross roads and turn right again a couple of yards down the hill ylou have the pub on your right
But if you came straight over the cross roads and continued to walk you would find it a hell of a walk to get to barnies church
Which you would have another long walk to get to the top of the street to reach the church that's why I do not think its ban bus
I have got some old books I think I ha e one with erdinton in so I will try and swott it up if its there
Other wise we will await your source of the society if they know any think best wishes Astonian,,,,,,Alan,,,,

Hi viv,and Phil,
Just to let you know I have had a quick research and I have found out a picture of the house and pub ,I say that because it was an house prior to being a pub
They say its a city land mark in the book
They also the house would have been a high status family in 1400 s and was probably built by a wealthy landowner
It is thought it became a pub in the early 1780 s and remained ever since and previously called as viviene as said ye old green man
There was a research on the timbers in the oldest part of the house
Dendrochronogy Analysing ring patterens was found as a match to known
It is Almost 100 years older than it was previously thought to be the oldest pub in the city the old crown in digbeth
Viv, Phil I have got a picture in a book showing the ye older green man listed as Bromford lane erdinton
The caption below the picture which states
This is another pub with a justified name claim to antiquity,the picture is showing a weighing machine in the forecourt
And it says it would be appear to be for checking in deliveries
The said licensee for this pub in 1899. Was a George birbeck
So that may be another step to take in trying to pin point the painting and the area of that period I thought
May I had it looks like Mr birbeck is poseing. For the camera in the distance with a couple of relatives and is wife
Standing out side so I presume this date is when it was taken
Viv I look forward to your response should you get one from the Eddington society
Best wishes to you and Phil oh and of course our dear old members and if my friend Alf is tuned him a great big special one for him
If you are there Alf looking in take care I will contact you soon astonian,,,,,,Alan,,,,

Scoured the book again and found a reference in tiny writing further into the book. It is in fact the corner of Church Road, off High Street Erdington. It's the Parish Church and the Green Man, later the Acorn. So it was in the High Street folks. It's from a painting by an unknown artist. Will post it on the Erdington thread as it's an interesting part of the High Street. Thanks for all your comments. Viv.

nice one viv..thats that sorted...

lyn

Hi have been on the net and found peter leather Birmingham lecturer at the universary whom as done a lot of research from day one
And gave a detailed information into the old ancient pub the green man from 1700. S and no mention of the acorn pub
Through to the 1800 s he done this research many years ago he mentionioned the previous names but no acorn pub
If the church road is where I think it was its to far back Lynn
I will be very interested to hear if we can what the society tells vi
Have a nice day everybody best wishes Astonian,,,, Alan,,,,,

Peaky Blinders-Green Man..jpgThis was posted by Terry Carter on our Facebook page so thought I would save it here.

Hi Wendy
That's a great price of information so that would coincide with the picture of mr birket the gaffer I have in my book
The year 1800 s as to what I put as I got from the lecturer at Birmingham university
The picture I have said it was his family so I may have mistake the men folk with him as
Police officers that's great news and well well storing on our files there was three gentlemen on the left on on is right
Are three lady accompoany him on the photo , I will come back to this got to fly best wishes Alan, Astonian,,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of great information contributed there by Wendy and Alan (and it's cleared my mind (about the other Green Man I.e. later Acorn in the High Street). The Green Man/Lad in the Lane has had a colourful past. So good to see this sort of info being uncovered. Thanks both. Viv.

Hi Viv,
I am hoping to get the picture I have with mr Birkit and his family some time today well at least before the end of the day
And I have just looked at it again its either customers of three and his wife and possibly his daughter or at least a family member
Also may I had its 1879 And what I noticed at the end ofthe building its a board saying last known as the lad in the lane
You have to look at it I never noticed it late last night before I went to bed and there is an early date of it
Obvisionly it was up before Mr Birkit Took it over at a early date and the one it states about himself
Its a great price of work by Wendy I must say and to store it that's great I shall be going back to peter leather some point today
Viv ,also when I down load the green man I am down loading two other pictures of the changing periods of the dolphin pub in Warwick red acocks greewhen it was a lane through the periods of up to date and another very old village pub which I am sure you will be intrested. In
So As Shaw Taylor Said On Police Five, Keep Them Peeled,
Have a nice day Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,,,

Will certainly 'keep em peeled'! Thanks Alan. How good it is to be able to say that pubs like these with a wealth of history are still around. The importance of them can't be overstated, as they'd have been the hub of the village. Look forward to your photos. Viv.

Hi viv,@Lynn
Here are the pictures I have promised you regarding the green man and Mr birket and family you can zoomth in on him
To see his face also I have down loaded two more pictures of historic village pubs in Birmingham
Which you may or Not Seen or In Your collection
I have put there village pubs as a title okay I hope they come through to you and the forum members
Here Goes ,,,,,
Picture 1! The green man,,DSC_0103.jpgDSC_0104.jpgDSC_0107.jpgDSC_0106.jpgDSC_0105.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Alan and Froth. Just shows you that there's so much more still to uncover about pubs. A great piece of history for the Green Man in the newspaper clipping. And I think it's worth putting your 'Dolphin' photos on the thread here Alan https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=30230
Lyn (Astoness) started the thread but the early photos were lost.

The photo of of the Coach and Horses, Castle Brom is interesting too. I think it would also be worth looking in to its history, but can't find a thread. Maybe it's been covered in another thread but I think it deserves one of its own. Viv.

A rear view of the Olde Green Man in 1899. From Oldbirminghampictures. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413100983.938578.jpg

A couple more views. Put them together for comparison. Changes to the building are a bit clearer. Seems to be mostly around the window area. I don't have dates for these but the second must be about 1940/50. By this time the big Green Man sign has gone and the roofline lowered. The doorway in the corner where the two adjacent buildings meet has also gone. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413138835.595220.jpg

Hi viv,
Just another little snippet I forgot to say that the ye old Green man pub originated in the 15 the Century
There supplyers was an rushton,s brewery address was given as 69 Aston road North and chester street
And there was a post card printed by R, Benton for the ye olde green man,
Incidently I Have just seen your thread and I see there was some alterations done to it I thought it was sad to do that
Still its nice thou , best wishes Astonian,,,, Alan,,,,

A striking photo Froth. What I find incredible about this place is it dates back 100 years before the The Old Crown in Digbeth. It's not until you see the cruck frame exposed like that that you can fully appreciate it. So many changes over the centuries have hidden much more.

Here's another great view from the site below. Gives a real sense of standing in a rural position. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413189047.406258.jpg

https://ourbirmingham.wordpress.com/2013/06/06/city-history-the-lad-in-the-lane/

Hi viv,
Just another little snippet I forgot to say that the ye old Green man pub originated in the 15 the Century
There supplyers was an rushton,s brewery address was given as 69 Aston road North and chester street
And there was a post card printed by R, Benton for the ye olde green man,
Incidently I Have just seen your thread and I see there was some alterations done to it I thought it was sad to do that
Still its nice thou , best wishes Astonian,,,, Alan,,,,

Yes it looks like those changes between the two photos took away much of the earlier character. All the same, glad it's still standing! Not heard of Rushtons before Alan. Must have been a small brewery. Viv.

Hi viv,
Rushtons brewers was operating through the 1800 s and knowing what I know about brewers it was not on either of those streets
During the early 1900 s And recalling the two streets like Aston road north where upon I born on Lichfield red and brand parents occupying business on the Aston road road North And Walking the Breath of it I would have recalled some think like it
But saying that I recall chester street and the old little houses that ran across white house street up to Darthmouth street
The one side was of business the right hand of the street heading that was was commercial business ,s
So I suspect that's where they first started in chester street before exstending to Aston Road North but as you say its the 1800 s period
And may I add viv ,the book I have with all these old pubs for that period there is quite area pubs listed in photograph on post cards
And the name rush tons does appear on quite afew pubs and Inns of that period that was selling there ales so they was reasonably known
For that period ,best wishes and have a nice day even thou its a dull and miserable day Alan,, Astonian,,,,

Yes that true Lynn you have beaten me again to put it on as I have got a book when Ansells took over rush tons
And I have the picture of Ansells first ever brewing vat to make the ales of rush tons with the employee,
Best wishes Alan,,Astonian,,,,,,

I'm enjoying all the pictures of "The Lad" that are being put up.
Talking to my mother yesterday, she remarked that my granddad "lived" in there in the sixties, it was only a short walk from his house in Birches Green road.

Blimey Lyn and Alan, William Rushton made some serious dosh from brewing! Almost an empire. Very surprised.

Froth your two photos are excellent. I notice a sign on the top photo in the top left corner, that's only partially visible. Don't know if it's my imagination, but by any chance does it say perhaps "....... own as ..... the... in the lane" i.e Also 'known as the Lad in the Lane'? So maybe it was known as the Lad way before the sign on the pub roof changed. Viv.

Thought I'd put together a list of what we know about the modifications so far, to keep tabs on what's happened to it over time.

First, these are the details revealed by Dendro dating:
1400 Hall range with cruck trusses.
1456 - 1461 Box frame wing added to hall range
1591 - 1621 Alterations to lower end of hall of 1400

We also know the building(s) changed from a house to a pub in the 1780's.

And we know it was extended and altered in the 1930s (before 1939). The roofline changed and considerable changes were made to the front elevations. These changes look to me to be in line with the fashion for building pubs in the style of coaching inns.

Wonder if there were any changes in the 1800s.

Viv.

Yes it was called the Lad In The Lane first. Ansells changed the name back to the LITL. They did not do the pub any favours though. They ripped out all the little areas it had and put in silly multi coloured up lighting.:disgust:

Last edited:
Back