• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Old Green Man

great judgment on brians part froth...

hope your not suggesting that i am over 80 though....:D:D:D

lyn....:)

yes you would and heres a:headhit: just in case...nice photo though...

lyn..

That's a nice idea Frothy. I like that comparison. Bet Brian had to beware of the traffic, unlike Lyn when she took the first shot.:rolleyes::D

That's a nice idea Frothy. I like that comparison. Bet Brian had to beware of the traffic, unlike Lyn when she took the first shot.:rolleyes::D

I bet she had to put her winter woolies on that day David, it looked cold. I bet her Box Brownie nearly froze up.:grinsmile:

Last edited:
i heard that you two.....:headhit::headhit:actually i may try doing a couple of then and now pics....

lyn:)

i heard that you two.....:headhit::headhit:actually i may try doing a couple of then and now pics....

lyn:)

Morning Lyn. Not as easy as it looks. Brian took dozens of photos to get that one.
theres some more on my site:rolleyes: click the link.

froth ive forgot me password:redface: will try and retreive it...sure i wrote it down somewhere:cry:

Re: Re The Green Man/Lad in the lane

Hey Jude....I lived in the maisonettes from 1960 for a few years...when were you in Cleeve House? Do you know what it looks like now?

Mossy send a e-mail to me with the link, if you can if it works or some think:)

Froth i mean you said on your post ''my site click on link''

Mossy

NO definately not Froth having seen what it was ..and what they did to the "Lad " having been in it was all ...no inference or dig intended Froth :p;)another great pic Brian

No Tom, I was on about your statment about modern buildings not lasting, you knowing that I like some modern builings as well:p:peace::D

Frothy I like SOME modern Buildings as well:p I still think the planners get it wrong and put some buildings where the old ones should still be some planners attitude is knock it down rather than look at what is around and keep some of the original buildings which get swept away during renewal of some parts of our city:)

Frothy I like SOME modern Buildings as well:p I still think the planners get it wrong and put some buildings where the old ones should still be some planners attitude is knock it down rather than look at what is around and keep some of the original buildings which get swept away during renewal of some parts of our city:)

I whole heartly agree:thumbsup:

All this talk of the green man has made us quite thirsty, so me and Brian are off to the pub:thumbsup:

https://wapedia.mobi/en/
Wiki: Some facts about the Lad in the Lane. Len.

The Lad in the Lane is a public house located in the Bromford area of Erdington in Birmingham, England. Dating to the year 1400, it is considered to be the oldest house and pub in the city, [1] although The Old Crown in Digbeth claims to date from 1368, a date which is yet to be confirmed. Prior to the dating of the building, New Shipton Barn in Walmley was considered to be the oldest building in Birmingham, dating to around 1425. [1] To date find the construction date of the building, scientists used a technique called dendrochronology to analyse the timbers in the oldest known part of the building. The results showed that it was constructed in the spring at the end of the 14th century. [1]
When constructed in 1400, it was used as a home for a family of high status. It is believed to have remained as a house until the early 1780s, when it was converted into a pub [1] by the owners who were established in 1306. [2] Throughout its lifetime as a pub, it has also been known as The Green Man [1] and the Old Green Man. [3] It was used by foresters who worked for the Earl of Warwick. [3] In the 1930s, the pub was extended and altered. [2]
On April 25 1952, the building received listed status. This was altered on July 8 1982 so that it became a Grade II listed building.
Shown within West Midlands

Building Architectural style Tudor/ Tudorbethan Location Bromford Lane, Erdington, Town Birmingham, West Midlands, Country England Coordinates / 52.51468°N -1.83548°E Construction Started Late 14th century Completed 1930s

thanks for posting all that info len...it makes very interesting reading....

cheers..

lyn:):)

Thanks Len....I must have passed The Old Green Man many many times and
didn't know it's history. In fact I have never been inside either. I hope to
rectify that when I come to Birmingham in October.

Jenny Ann neither had I been in till recently it is full of character and the original oakbeams etc are great some of the clientelle bit... not mentioning any names as I might be accused of arguing again ...dubious :rolleyes:lol but well worth a look ... at the pub :D

Jenny Ann neither had I been in till recently it is full of character and the original oakbeams etc are great some of the clientelle bit... not mentioning any names as I might be accused of arguing again ...dubious :rolleyes:lol but well worth a look ... at the pub :D

To true Tom, couldn't have said it better myself:)

I was lent the keys of The Lad by the the new tennants last night before they move in. Good or what.:) I found another unused room in the cellar with a Pheasant in there, spooky.:rolleyes:Took lots of photos of upstairs.:)
To save space, here is a link to our flickr page with all the photos we have of The Old Green Man ( Lad In The Lane) https://www.flickr.com/groups/1002343@N24/

Last edited:
The new tenant of the Lad in the lane (Green man)is really spooked about there being a ghost in the pub.:rolleyes:
If your there John Knight, would you do me ghostly image ( maybe a white clad lady) at the end of this corridor. that will crack her up.:D Thanks in advance John.

The new tenant of the Lad in the lane (Green man)is really spooked about there being a ghost in the pub.:rolleyes:
If your there John Knight, would you do me ghostly image ( maybe a white clad lady) at the end of this corridor. that will crack her up.:D Thanks in advance John.

She won't give you the keys again. :)

Back