• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Old Green Man

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
My family used to live on Bromford Lane and we would often go past (and in!!) The Lad in the Lane. I notice that there's a nice photo on the "Astonbrook through Aston Manor" site which seems to be from Ansells "Down Memory Lane" series.
Although I've a couple of photos of the pub this is one I don't have and wondered if anyone knows where I can get a copy?
Cheers :clown:

If you're using XP and have a photo programme on your computer you should be able to copy the picture by right clicking on it and saving it to your chosen programme. E.

The Lad In The Lane/Green Man has been in the news a lot lately hasn't it?
Some archeological discoveries proving it's age...
that it's the oldest one in Brum, (as some suspected)
It may have been in the Birmingham Post, as that's the free newspaper we get.

The Landlord got a grant to continue the archelogical work I think...

it's of interest to me as I used to go to school round the corner in the 70's (Erdington Grammar), and we've had a couple of reunions in The Lad in The Lane since...
and a friend and I used to go there occasionally in the 70's.

here's some info.
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/5224702.stm

Last edited by a moderator:
The Green Man O0

Attachments

• Edringron Green Man Bromfoed Lane 1940.jpg
    Edringron Green Man Bromfoed Lane 1940.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 12
I remember visiting the Green Man back in the 60s, as i remember it had a modern part and the original old part
Now my point is I distinctly remember there was a plaque on the wall of the old half giving the date it was built, I can't remember what date was stated but i know it preceded the Old Crown in Digbeth, which now claims to be the oldest pub in Brum
So is that plaque still there and what date was on it?

Another picture of "Ye Olde Green Man"

Attachments

• Kingstanding Old Green Man- Lad in the Lane (2).jpg
    Kingstanding Old Green Man- Lad in the Lane (2).jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 9
Hi, everyone. I am new to the site but was born in 37 Cranby Street in 1957, my parents renting the front room of the house from family friend's. The same year we moved to the house I spent my next 33 or so years at Varley Road in Pype Hayes. I know this doesn't relate to this thread, but it is just my little introduction. My post is for Jerry. I used to go in the Green Man in the 70's and I remember in the lounge bar a huge oak beam that ran from the front to the back (I think). On it was a small plaque dating the beam, and therefore the building, I suppose, to 1341. I distinctly remember the plaque and the date. I wonder if this is what you are referring to?

Hi & Welcome Smiling Carcass, yes that beam has now been orthenticated useing bores from the timber & carbon dating.
Hope you enjoy this site as much as I have.
ASTON

Dendrochronology: the study of the growth rings in trees to reconstruct climate variations and to determine the age of trees, beams, and other timbers.

Increment borer: a hollow instrument used to drill into the center of a tree to remove a long narrow cylinder of wood (called a core sample).

Tree rings: the concentric circles visible in cross sections of tree trunks and limbs; each pair of light and dark rings represents a year's growth.

Thanks, Aston. Yes, I am loving the site. My kids have just made me stop to do their tea, I had become so engrossed! I always thought of the Green Man being the oldest pub in Brum- it was just something we learned and grew up with. My dad, (sadly now deceased) said he could remember it when it was fields all around.

Here is a nice photo of the Green Man Erdington in the days of the
1950's

Attachments

• Erdington The Green Man.jpg
    Erdington The Green Man.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 6
Re The Green Man/Lad in the lane

This Pub and the Navigation Tyburn Rd hold many memories for me. I lived in Cleeve House Bromford Lane and my Granddad Fredrick Hopkins was Pot man to both of them. In fact he helped to lay the bowling green at the Lad, sadly no more its now a childs playground. Anyone remember the Pub sign on the way down it said The Lad in the Lane on the way up it said The Green Man, its always been affectionately known as The Lad in my family.
Yes, your right about there being a plaque on one of the beams in the little snug lounge on the left as you looked at the Pub, it was dated 1300 somethis and as far as I know has always been the oldest Pub in Brum a title The Crown in digbeth coveted for years!
Then there was the greenhouse an annex at the back of The Lad and the "concert room" built on the side. Oh what memories!! Then of course there was Glenthorne ( the nutty house) on Kingsbury Rd we used to scrump apples from the orchards there Lord help you if you were caught, marched off to the house by a huge guy in a white coat ( honest I swear) to await collect by the parent(s). Then it all changed and became a maximum secure home for deliquents, what a word that is !!! And The Lad changed to a more modern type of Pub its heritage lost and gone forever!
My Granddad would turn over in his grave if he could see it now!

The Good old fashioned pubs are going rapidly, one of my favorites The Bear at Berkswell has been bought out by a ' Chain' to make money on the food and after going twice and receiving shocking service I will never set foot in the place again....and if the Griffin shuts I will emigrate
But getting on to the main topic of the Green Man..........
Their is a Green Man at Caverswall, Stafford but it has strong links with Birmingham in a tragic strange way...
The landlord of the Green Man in 1800 George Fearne was the leader of a gang of Coiners (counterfeiters) the made the coins in the garret of the pub and hid the equipment in the roof.......all the metal came from Birmingham also the moulds for the coins when the gang was caught George Fearne was hung at Stafford gaol in 1801

I have started a photo site about the Lad in the lane ( Green Man)on Flickr.Take a look, their are photos of every conceivable angle. If you have any photos of the pub, I would be please to see them.

LadInTheLaneGreenMan

PS
I am the Administrator. Sound good that, don't it:D:D

frothy??? Administrator??? In the words of victor meldrew....i dont beleive it....lol

seriously froth...its looking good....keep up the good work....

Lyn:):):)

Just what I was thinking Lyn.:shocked:
We'll have to start calling him Sir from now on.

By the way Chris I've applied to join.

lol david..we will never hear the last of this.....dont worry if he starts to get above his station i shall hit him with this....:headhit::headhit::headhit:

ive already joined...dont want him sulking...:D:D:D

ttfn..

lyn:):):)

lol david..we will never hear the last of this.....dont worry if he starts to get above his station i shall hit him with this....:headhit::headhit::headhit:

ive already joined...dont want him sulking...:D:D:D

ttfn..

lyn:):):)

Behave Lyn or I'll Ban you you:D

Old Boy. According to the carbon dating of the wood beams in The Green Man parts of it were built before The Crown. Len.

Old Boy. According to the carbon dating of the wood beams in The Green Man parts of it were built before The Crown. Len.

This was taken from a 7 page publication sold at the Lad In The Lane last year for charity. You can make your own minds up-

Frothy,my sister Norma and her husband Lexie drank in the Lad every Sunday lunchtime for about 20 years.Lexie sadly died in 1999 age 57.
I remember going to meet them in the pub one lunchtime and some young
men were behaving very badly.
Lexie was a very quiet Irishman but when he stood up the stature of him demanded respect which he got on this occasion without saying a word.

Frothy,my sister Norma and her husband Lexie drank in the Lad every Sunday lunchtime for about 20 years.Lexie sadly died in 1999 age 57.
I remember going to meet them in the pub one lunchtime and some young
men were behaving very badly.
Lexie was a very quiet Irishman but when he stood up the stature of him demanded respect which he got on this occasion without saying a word.

The place did have a bad reputation for trouble a few years ago.:(It's a lot better these days.
I spend every Sunday in there, I really love the old place:)

ive been there with froth and can vouche for his good behaviour....just....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

lyn:)

NAR DAVID....SURELY THERE CANT BE TWO OF EM....:D:D:D

DONT THINK I COULD COPE WITH THAT.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LYN

Back