• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Bull Xmas meet 2011

A very big thank you to everone for making Saturday such an enjoyable occasion, and especially Lyn for organising it.

Cath and I were a bit nervous about going for a meal with a lot of people we didn't know, but we needn't have been because we were made to feel so welcome.

Mind you, I got told off for not getting the painting as my ticket was the first to be pulled out. But I'm not used to winning anything and just sort of dived in and took the first thing that came to hand. Still, I'm glad it's gone to such an appreciative home.

We were only sorry that we couldn't stay longer because of having to get back to prepare for our evening event, because it would have been enjoyable to have stayed longer and to have chatted with some other people.

Still, perhaps there will be another similar occasion in the future. We hope do.

Once again, thanks to everybody for an enjoyable time, and thanks also for the great photos, although I'm not sure what spell it was that I was trying to put on Colin.

Dave (and Cath)

Thank you all for sharing your pictures it really is lovely that you can all meet up like that. The pub looks a lovely place. MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all.

Thank you all for the lovely pictures of your x'mas meet up.....l can just about feel the atmosphere....and the pub looks about the same as when l was last in there which was many moons ago...everyone looked like they had a good time and hope you did'nt have to breath in for too long.....Brenda

A very big thank you to everone for making Saturday such an enjoyable occasion, and especially Lyn for organising it.

Cath and I were a bit nervous about going for a meal with a lot of people we didn't know, but we needn't have been because we were made to feel so welcome.

Mind you, I got told off for not getting the painting as my ticket was the first to be pulled out. But I'm not used to winning anything and just sort of dived in and took the first thing that came to hand. Still, I'm glad it's gone to such an appreciative home.

We were only sorry that we couldn't stay longer because of having to get back to prepare for our evening event, because it would have been enjoyable to have stayed longer and to have chatted with some other people.

Still, perhaps there will be another similar occasion in the future. We hope do.

Once again, thanks to everybody for an enjoyable time, and thanks also for the great photos, although I'm not sure what spell it was that I was trying to put on Colin.

Dave (and Cath)

hi dave well whatever you were putting on colin he seemed to go away quite happy lol...thanks to you and cath for being brave and attending your first ever forum meet up it was so good to see you there and dont worry about not choosing erics painting as in keeping with his great generousity has promised us another one for our next meet up so you will get another chance..

see you at the next one dave..

lyn

Dave it was lovely to meet you and Cath although as you say it all went so quick. Hopefully we will get a chance to chat more at the next meet.

Brenda so glad you enjoyed the photo's of the day and it bought back some happy memories.

Last of my pics :smug:

17thDecember2011Sarurday037.jpg

17thDecember2011Sarurday038.jpg

17thDecember2011Sarurday039.jpg

17thDecember2011Sarurday040.jpg

17thDecember2011Sarurday041.jpg

17thDecember2011Sarurday042.jpg

17thDecember2011Sarurday043.jpg

Merry Christmas

Thank you for making me feel so welcome on Saturday - it was my first meet-up and I had only met Wendy and KeyHill Brian before. I'm still not sure that I would get the right names with faces!

I meant to show this to Postie on Saturday - I think that it is great :)
christmas-bull.jpg

good to meet you lesley...i think that would make a nice winter avatar for jim lol

great pics dave..as most of them are of us leaving the meet i shall now post this and say look forward to seeing you all at the next meet...what a great lot of brummies you all are...

img502.jpg

no chance of that david i want to see what the weather has in store for us first lol...

lyn

Look forward to the next one Lyn thank you for organising it all...x

Sorry folks, no pics yet, the image site refuses to log me in and says my e-mail and selected user does not exist, but won't let me re-register - have appealed for help, so as soon as I get going again, will post pics!
Sue

It did that to me a couple of days ago. Normally my computer logs me in automatically, but this time it didn't, and wouldn't accept password, but I came out of BHF, turned of computer and started again and it worked fine then

hi folks..here is the reply from birmingham childrens hospital thanking us for our xmas donation..

once again thanks to everyone..lyn..x

On behalf of everyone at Birmingham Children’s Hospital, I would like to thank you and all the members of the Birmingham History Forum for your very kind donation of £105.00 for the Children’s Heart Appeal, received prior to Christmas. We are extremely grateful to you all for thinking of us and for your generosity and support in making this donation.

The Children’s Heart Appeal aims to raise £2 milliontowards the creation of the most advanced cardiac unit for children in the UK. In order to reach this target we rely on the generous support of members of the public, organisations and companies. Your donation will help fund a new ‘hybrid’ cardiac theatre, the first of its kind at a UK children’s hospital which will enable us to carry out a number of surgical procedures simultaneously to reduce the number of operations that children may need and their time spent in hospital.

The Children’s Heart Appeal is just one of the ways in which we are working to create the very best healing environment for the children in our care. To keep up to date with the latest news about the appeal and other ways you can get involved to support Birmingham Children’s Hospital then please visit www.bch.org.uk.

Thank you once again to you and everyone involved in the Birmingham History Forum - it was very kind of you all to think of our hospital and to support our current appeal. With our very best wishes to you all for 2012.

With kind regards,

Yours sincerely

Kathy

Kathy Chappell | 0121 333 8503
Customer Services Team, Fundraising Birmingham Children's Hospital Steelhouse Lane B4 6NH | www.bch.org.uk

That's great Lyn, brought a bit closer to home for us last week as one of Owens friends from rugby has been in there before and over Xmas with a nasty bone infection in his leg following a seemingly minor scratch.
So thanks to everyone for supporting the BCH.
Sue

hi sue..makes you feel good when you read a letter like that...a good afternoon all round...:encouragement:

A great result from the forum well done to all who donated prizes and all who bought tickets. Thanks to Lyn for organising it.

Like to add my congratulations to everyone who was involved. Special mentions to Lyn for all her hard work and Wendy for the raffle.
Well done!

A very creditable sum you all raised. Congratulations.

Mention of the Children's Hospital reminds me of two occasions concerning the hospital. Firstly, I was in the Children's Hospital, when it was in the Ladywood district, during the height of the blitz. I was there for tonsil removal. Secondly, the present building, in Steelhouse Lane was previously known as, I believe, as the General Hospital - or similar name. I was once in the Snow Hill area - maybe at Lewis's or Greys - when our family friends daughter had an epileptic fit. A mad scramble to get her down Steelhouse Lane to the Hospital. Just one of those incidents, during childhood, that is never forgotten.

You are right Alan, the current site was the old General Hospital and the Nurses Home next to it which is now an admin area I think used to be a hive of activity, with the police station right next door, there were all sorts of shenanigans and subterfuge trying to sneak visitors in - not me of course, I was not lucky enough to get a room there, had to travel from Selly Oak and leg it across town when I did a stint there, but my friend has all sorts of tales to tel :0
Sue

the Nurses Home next to it which is now an admin area I think used to be a hive of activity, with the police station right next door, there were all sorts of shenanigans and subterfuge trying to sneak visitors in - not me of course, l :0
Sue

I'm sure the police didn't have all the action to themselves. Remember across the road was a pretty large fire station. ;)

Right, lets try the new site photo upload...........................................The Bull Xmas meet 2011 001.jpg

All I can see is a red cross, can anyone see the pic - if not help needed again please!!
Sue

Back