• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Phillips Birmingham Look Ups

Hi Aidan and Shera, thank you very much for your replies. I got this marriage off the Pilot after years of trying to find my gt.gt. grandmothers parents - it really is a helpful asset - this is the second 'brick wall' I have solv ed with this site.
Sheri

Looking for a marriage between James Spratt and Ann (Unknown).
between 1813 and 1814.
Their children were christened at St Phillips, so I'm hoping for a marriage there, but there's nothing on IGI.
Hope someone can help. Rob

I was wondering if you had seen this entry which is on the IGI. It is a couple of years back from where you are looking but you never know...

Birth about 1809 Birmingham
James Spratt
Parents James Spratt and Ann Bradley

I expect that you have seen this already. Hope that you find the info you are looking for.

J

Hi Everyone, Hoping some one would be kind enough to look up some christening records at St Phillips church. Mary Ann Carter was christened 4 Sept 1822 & Joseph Smith Carter & Emma Carter were both christened 7 June 1827. Any other info on these records would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Sheryl :)

I have a Susan/Susanna Wiggett marriage Dec 1837, Birmingham. I think she married William Hunt. Father James Wiggett. I just want to confirm this is the right one but I have no idea which church, think it may be St. Martin as her brother got married there. Can anyone help!!?

I can't spot this marriage in the St Martin's records - don't know if Shera will have more luck....

Last edited:
I have a Susan/Susanna Wiggett marriage Dec 1837, Birmingham. I think she married William Hunt. Father James Wiggett. I just want to confirm this is the right one but I have no idea which church, think it may be St. Martin as her brother got married there. Can anyone help!!?

Well civil registration started in June 1837 so the first thing to try is a GRO index lookup on freeBMD - and we find

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Dec 1837 (>99%)
Griffiths Thomas Birmingham 16 389
HUNT William Birmingham 16 389
Onions Elizabeth Birmingham 16 389
WIGGETT Susanna Birmingham 16 389

so your suspicions are probably confirmed. For more information you'll need to order the marriage certificate.

Thank you!! I now just need to check that this Susanna Wiggett is the one i want and that her father is James Wiggett.

hi lynn
good question that one i always wondered for years when i went passed it whether its was a jewish one or catholic one my self
many years ago when i used to walk down dale end to my grand parents down in new cannal st
i look forewarded to some one to reply best wishes to each and every one of you astonian

Thanks Phil. The marriage I've got just says St. Peters, as they lived in London Prentice St. I assumed it would be that church,but i thought they were Roman Catholics, so back to the drawing board.

Hi Lynne

Just a thought could it possibly be St Peters on Broad St as I believe that was RC, and Broad St is not all that far away don't forget people in those days travelled much further distances by foot than we would ever think of doing.

Phil

Thanks Phil. The marriage I've got just says St. Peters, as they lived in London 'Prentice St. I assumed it would be that church,but i thought they were Roman Catholics, so back to the drawing board.

Is that the 'London Prentice Street' that was part of Dalton Street Lynne?

Sorry Phil I missed your post yesterday. I thought maybe it was the one in Broad St. but I've found another relative married at St. Andrews in Bordesley,thats C of E as well, and he was a Catholic. Its all a bit odd,but that sums our family up.

Lynne,
I also have ancestors who lived in London Prentice St and married at St Peters Dale End, on the 13.6.1852.
A long shot....but you never know.:)

I wonder if someone could possible check births/baptisms for a Joseph Clarke baptised 29/9/1790.
Parents John Clarke & Elizabeth, other children probably Ann (2) 1792/3 & Charlotte 1794.

Any extra info. from OPRs would help.

Regards

Clarkie

The IGI has the marriage of Thomas FARMER to Sarah GALE on 22nd May 1827. If anyone has access to the PRs I'd be grateful for a lookup on this to see what other information is available.

TIA
Andy

Hi Andy

An 1827 marriage certificate will only give you some basic information. It will state if the couple were/are a Widower or bachelor, widow or spinster. it will show if the couple are "of this parish". It will show witnesses names and if they and the married couple signed the cert or made their mark. That's about all.

Steve

Could I please ask if some one could check a marriage for me please. I have found on the IGI site a marriage for Thomas Griffiths and Catherine Kimberley 3rd October 1852. The free bmd site has Caroline Kimberley. The lady I am looking for is Caroline. Also it has the father of Thomas as John Griffiths and I am hoping this is wrong as I have his name as Thomas. Thanking you for you help.

I have 1866 marrage certificate for Henry Conolly and Mary Ann Humphries at the parish church of St Philips Birmingham. There resident address given Vale Street.Would anyone know what area St Philips in and if Catholic church? thankyou

Thanks for that is there address for church? I knew most of the pubs in brum but not the churches[ DONT KNOW WHAT THAT SAYS ABOUT ME] Regards Barry

I would say Colmore Row or Temple St better known by us as the Pigeon Park. Its B,hams primary church.Dek

Think I know where you mean.That would be birmingham cathedral Colmore row? Open church yard that walk through with lots of pigeons. Thankyou for that

hi all,
looking for any info that might be on a marriage found on the IGI.
John PEGG to Ann COLEY, 30/8/1835,st philips. i had a look at the relevant micro film at central library but could not find it. ( might be the eyes).
regards,
steve.

Back