• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Phillips Birmingham Look Ups

Hi Airmac

I M me your e mail address, i have a copy of the marriage certificate, plus some information on a baptism which may be helpful!

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes I did receive the certificate, Thanks very much. I did reply direct to you email address yesterday.

Carol

Very interested in details of births for James Allen born 1812 (christened 1813), Thomas Allen born 1818 (christened 1821) and Mary Ann Allen born and christened 1821. All at St Phillips. Any info most welcome, in particular occupation of father. Many thanks.

for Maria Gilbert at St. Phillips, Birmingham on 3 Feb 1794 and 18 Oct 1793
Would like to know if there is any extra information about the occupations in addition to parents names etc?

Thank you
SR

Both are for Joseph Parkes, first-26 Apr 1791, St. Phillips, Birmingham and the second --22 Apr 1794,

In addition to the parents names, would like to know if there is anything about father's occupation or other details...
Thank you
SR

Thie following is all I can find - using IGI
Jospeh Parkes, 26 Apr 1791, St Phillip's, father Issac Parkes, mother Ann
Joseph Parkes , 22 Apr 1794, St Phillip's, father James Parkes, mother Hannah

I don't have St Phillip's baptisms, I'm afraid, but looked on marriages and was unsuccesful - other than Issac Parkes to Sarah Prescott (could be a previous marriage for father of your first request). No occupations or additional information in marriage registers this early.

Perhaps someone will have the St Phillips baptisms - or do a lookup when they are in the library

Hi again

I had a look at the St. Philips records at the Birmingham Reference Library today. The 2 entries are listed as follows;

Maria d of thomas and Ann Gilbert chistened 18 Oct 1793.

Maria D of James and Elizabeth Gilbert christened 3 Feb 1794.

This is all the information that there is written down.

Regards

Steve

It might help you in your searches to know that until 1813 all births/marriages/deaths were written in a book on plain paper, giving the minimal information. After 1813 a printed form was used, and that is the time from when you get an occupation written down. Hope this is of some help.

I have been searching for a marriage record for James Norton and Elizabeth for some considerable time. Their eldest son George was born in 1822 and was baptised at St Philips.
I have established that it was unlikely they married there or St Martins. That leaves me with St Paul's, which I think is most likely or possibly St Mary Whittall St?

James was born in Tettenhall in 1799 but moved to Birmingham. He married Elizabeth, who was born in Birmingham and was probably slightly older, from certainly 1822 until they died in the 1860s they lived in St. George's District, on George's birth record 22/6/1822 James was noted as a Bricklayer of Walmer Lane, which was then the continuation of New Town Row. No trace of 1841 census but in 1851 they were in Hospital St & 1861 Brearley St

Can anyone help?
Clarkie

I don't know if records are available for St. Philip's so far back. There should be a marriage between Edward ROBERTS and Mary ENSOR on 4 September 1769. It would be great if someone could help. (the spelling of Ensor could be Endsor I think)

Thanks!

i do have the record - it states 4th sep 1769 edward roberts and mary enser.(as spelt) no other info though

the records i have on a cd from bmsgh are typed from the original copies so i dont know which would be correct :rolleyes:

Aww Shera don't roll your eyes :D, I'd trust the records over IGI everytime of course, in this case it sounds like it might be illegible or uncertain

I am looking for the above marriage which I think took place in Birmingham possibly between 1810 and 1820. Can't find anything on the IGI. I wonder if anyone has any parish records for these years or is it like looking for a needle in a haystack? Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.:)

the only marriage i can find on igi about the right time is john bethel to ann hawkeswood on 9th may 1814 at st. phillips, bham

Do their first two bapt. appear at St Georges in 1831? or are there some before elsewhere?
Hi Mike

I found this baptism at St Phillips on the IGI:
Angelina Emma Bethell
09 NOV 1835 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
Parents: John Bethell & Susannah

John is a widower on the 1851 Census born Sattley? Warks living Icknield Square, St Martins parish, with children Richard 21 and Angelina 17 and also his sister Catherine born Whitchurch Shropshire. I found him living with another married daughter, Amelia, born around 1820 Birmingham on the 1861 Census back of 34 Snape St, Ecc Parish St Pauls. Although it states he is brother in law to Head on this census, I think this should be father in law as I have Amelia's marriage certificate naming John as her father. All his children were born Birmingham according to census. After many hours of searching, no sign of any of them on the 1841 Census.

Also, am unable to find Susannah's death.

Any help would be much appreciated.:)

Regards
Christine

Hi Shera

This could well be a previous marriage as John was born c. 1790 Sattley Warks. I have found baptism on the IGI of a daughter, Angelian Emma Bethell 09 NOV 1835 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England Parents: John Bethell & Susannah. On the 1851 Census, he is living in the Ecc Dist of St Martins at Icknield Square with two of his children, Richard 21 and Angelina 17, also his sister Catherine aged 64 born Shropshire.

On the 1861 Census, he appears to be living with another daughter Amelia, who is married to William Hughes. It states that John is brother in law to the Head but think this a possible mistake and should be father in law as I have Amelia's mg cert showing John as her father with same occupation Metal Roller.

No sign of any of the Bethells on the 1841 Census after many hours searching.

Many thanks for replying.

Christine

Many thanks for that. I had already done a search on FreeBMD putting in Susannah with an 'h' and Birmingham but no result which is very odd as I didn't have 'Exact match on first names' ticked. Once again, thanks, and I will now send for the death certificate.

IGI records marriage of two of my relatives on 14 May 1826 - Lucy White & Thomas Biddle

Does anyone have access to the registers or transcriptions and do they contain any other information (age, address, profession, family, witnesses or anything else) please?

Hi

I am looking for any other details for a marriage listed on the IGI for:

John Cattrell (Cottrell)
Rebecca Beley (?)
24 JUL 1803 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
Thanks Very Much
Janice

Back