• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Phillips Birmingham Look Ups

This one is on the IGI - 17 Feb 1841 to Eliza Detheridge

Ha ha - always my first port of call.

Maurice

Hi, found on IGI as per my update, but no occupations on IGI, hoping SKS has the CD ;-)

but thank you for taking the time to check.

There is another way to get the information. In fact 2 ways.

1. Is to use the LDS Photoduplication Service (Google it). I've learnt recently that there is no longer a charge and that responses are sent by email. The application form is a .PDF file and is a 'bit clunky'. It is intended that it be printed off, filled in, and then Faxed. Currently, they only accept application by FAX. Although, I believe, that such may change, but nothing definite.

However, if you have an older computer that still has a Dial-up Modem, there is a method whereby you can upload the form to a 'Cloud Editor', type in the details, and then Save the form. (Google PDF Editor). You can then use the Dial-up Modem as a Fax Sender.

If there are multiple 'source film numbers', ensure you request a copy from the correct film otherwise you may receive back the Bishop's Transcript or the Banns rather than the original Marriage. (Does not apply in this case - Film 813731).

Have I tried it yet? No. I need to find a day when I can crawl under the desk, rummage through the tangle of cables, and reinstate the modem.:friendly_wink:

EDIT: If Faxing from a computer, probably best to rotate Page 2 from Landscape to Potrait so that it comes out correctly at the other end. Mmmmm, haven't yet explored how to do that.

2. Is Rootsonomy. (Again Google it). A private company that has access to the LDS Films and will do the 1st request free. Subsequent requests are $10 each. Still cheaper than the GRO but, if I can get it for free........

Thank you kindly for that information Ken, most enlightening.

Will probably order the film from my LDS centre in Worcester, takes a while to arrive, and a small fee is payable, but at least you can browse the film at your leisure.

No I am not ;-) going to use the service, it is now free and you email your requirements.

Good one Ken.

Photoduplication is a service provided by the Family History Library to provide copies of documents available in the library to patrons for their personal use and research.

The Family History LIbrary now provides digital copies of items in the catalog. To request digital photocopies from the Family History Library you can now e-mail your request to [email protected].
You MUST include the Film or Fiche number, item number, Name of Individual you are researching, Title of record and name of parents, spouse, grantor, grantee, etc, Event type (Birth, Death or Marriage), Complete event date and place, Parish and volume or page number and registration or Certificate Number and any other information that will be helpful in locating your record. You no longer need to use a form.

Not sure whether christenings for 1835 are yet available for St Philip.

If they are, could someone kindly check 28th April 1835 Eliza TUBB ? IGI has the father as John TUBB, but census and Eliza's marriage certificate have him as Joseph TUBB. Thanks, in hope,

Maurice

That's the one and where I got in from (as I said - IGI). I just wondered whether it had been transcribed correctly.

Maurice

hi maurice, i would say its definitely joseph tubb because, as you said it is on all the censuses as joseph, also theres a death in 1871 in bham of joseph tubb, born abt 1797.

Hi Shera,

That's my feeling too, but I was hoping for an image to confirm it! :)

But with the amount of christenings that were done in a day at St Philip in those days, it's quite possible it was entered in the parish register incorrectly. Thanks for your thoughts anyway.

Maurice

I did post this under Genealogy but thought I would repost it under Churches as it might be picked up quicker.

I'm not sure what is available to look up at present in the Local Studies Library/Archives in Birmingham, but if anyone is going there at any time would they be able to look up the following for me to see if there is an address or occupation for the father please.

Amelia Steventon - christened 20 October 1790 at St Philips - parents James Steventon and Hannah

Also christened on the same day were the following children with the parents named as James and Hannah:
James, Thomas, Ann, Sarah, Mary Ann and John.

I am keen to know if this is my family who had the surname of Stevens, but it might have been mistakenly written as Steventon. I am also keen to know if the above were all the children of the same James and Hannah. I know that James and Hannah had Amelia and Eleanor but thought they had been baptised in Scotland!

Many thanks to anyone who can help and help me put another piece of the jigsaw together!

Judy​

Hi Judy, I checked their Website just in case, but there's nothing available until September. I expect they will be busy then!
I bought the Disk from BMSGH for St. Martin's but I don't think they have one for St. Philip's.
Sorry!.
rosie.

I'm wondering if someone could advise me if the parish records for St Philips have any more information on them for the following two events which I have traced through the IGI:

• Hannah Collins - baptised 17 March 1828 - daughter of then following
  • John Collins and Hannah Roberts (Hannah's parents) married 27 May 1822
John Collins was an important member in the Chartist movement in the 1830's and was imprisoned in Warwick Gaol with William Lovett for "Seditious Libel" for 12 months in 1839.

During their time in gaol, he and Lovett wrote the book "Chartism - A New Organisation for the People." His trial and imprisonment was also raised in Parliament and recorded in Hansard.

John Collins (if my research is correct) is my 4th Great Grandfather (Hannah my 3rd G-Grandmother) and would be the most famous person so far in my family tree.

Although I am fairly certain all of the above is correct, and all the people relate, there are some people who have John Collins marrying a Hannah West in St Martin's. However, as Hannah (the daughter) and her siblings were all baptised in St Philips and the marriage is in St Philips I think these are most likely to be the correct people.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Hello,

Before 1837 I think you've got to be fairly lucky to find any more information from the parish records than what you've already got.

I see the two marriages on familysearch for John Collins and the Hannahs that you mention, it could be the same John Collins (the first Hannah dying young) or two different ones. I'm not sure if they list bachelor or widower that early on in the parish record. Assuming that there's a connection because the marriage and baptism took place at the same church can lead to false conclusions so I wouldn't base things solely on that. If you know where your Hannah (wife) was born you could try and track her down. Have you got info to confirm your Hannah is Hannah Roberts?

Hi,

I know both the Hannah wives were alive at the same time and both married a John Collins just in different parishes. What I'm hoping is that the original parish registers have something like the fathers occupation which will differentiate the two John Collins'.

I've used this with other parish records elsewhere when I know the father's occupation and there are two people with the same name in an area.

I know the registers may not record anything more than I already have but unless you try you don't know.

You're right and I hope there's something there for you. Birmingham parish records are unavailable until early September when the new library opens. Someone on here might have a copy but if you've not had any luck by Oct I can have a look, when I'm hoping to go.

Hi Jayell, I have a CD with transcriptions for St Phillips Baptisms 1715-1812, Amelia isn’t on the list, but the following STEVENTON’S were all baptised on 20 Oct 1790. Unfortunately the CD doesn’t give their parents’ names.

Eleanor, James, Thomas, Ann, Sarah, Mary Ann, John.

bewdley

Thanks very much Bewdley. It was good of you to look that up for me. I did recently download this version of the CD myself and found the same information. However on double checking I found that the CD is just an index to the baptisms, so I am hoping that when the library re-opens in September I will be able to get there to check out the actual registers in the hope that parents' names are given. Strange that Family Search lists Amelia together with Eleanor etc. but the index doesn't. Guess I'll just have to bide my time till I can get to Brum.

Judy

i have just found that some of my ancesters buriel was in the parish of st philips birmingham
could anybody be able to tell me if that means they where buried in st philips churchyard or if there was any church yards around that area 1n 1800/1900
with thanks josie

It usually means in the parish so could be other churches. Most of St Philips graveyard was closed for burial in about 1848. The only burials after 1859 were in family graves. I hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
wendy
thank you i didnt think they would have been buried in st philips
i have gone through the st martins at the libaray but cant find a buriel for joseph orme died 1895 he was living in stoke street and i was told that they stopped buriels in 1875 in st martins
so at a loss to know where to find him unless he was cremated but didnt think cremation started untill 1910 might be wrong
josie

Hi db44,
By chance I have just been updating my Detheridge ancestors now that there are some good Birmingham & Warwickshire records on Ancestry. Hope this helps.

Eliza Dethridge, Navigation St. married William Lee, sawyer, Mount St
17 Feb 1841 St Philip Birmingham, both of Full Age
Father: Thomas Dethridge, Coal Dealer, Spouse's Father: William Lee Sawyer. Witnesses Ann Burkill & John Moore

Regards
Clarkie

Additionally, on Ancestry, I've also found that they now have the Electoral Registers for Birmingham. Seemingly, they were 'optically' scanned, therefore there are loads of errors, particularly relating to addresses.

However, it has enabled me to develop information regarding close relatives and even enabled me to identify distant Cousins that I never knew existed, and are possibly still living.

I've been looking through the above records which are now on Ancestry. In the above period the last 1 - 3 entries on each page a quite badly damaged and a large number totally illegible. Does anyone know if original transcripts have survived?
Regards

Clarkie

I think the records are in Birmingham library archives but it says "partially open" for some years and this may mean damaged registers are not available to the public - only copies. If you contact the library they should be able to tell you.

Janice

Back