• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

See Birmingham by Post Card

Havent Seen Any Pictures Of The 'maglev' On Here So For Those Who Have Never Seen It And For Those Of Us Who Rode On It,here Are A Couple Of Postcards.

Attachments

• maglev[1].jpg
    maglev[1].jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 13
  • maglev.jpg
    maglev.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes Maglev, I remember it. Can't say I ever remember it working. What about this place before all the hustle and bustle of the new one.

Birmingham Elmdon Airport.jpg

Last edited:
Phil,

Many a Bank Holiday Monday was spent picnicing on the grass at Elmdon airport, watching the planes. I don't know what the younger generation would make of that or the current airport security. But loads of families streamed up the Coventry Rd. to the airport on such days.
Ann

Ann

They have blocked off the lay-byes on the roads by the airport now due to a horrific accident involving some plane spotters a few years back. I know when Birmingham International first opened they had an observation lounge. We used to take our grandkids there.

I can't say if it is still in use today, what with parking fees, admission fees, plus a drink for the kids and a cup of coffee at Birmingham International rates. It would be an expensive day out.

Phil

Two nice views of Sarehole Rd, Hall Green.

One of the mill and another of the road itself.

Phil

Hall Green Sarehole Mill.jpgHall Green Sarehole Rd (2).JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful colour Phil. From around the same period comes this card of a very relaxed New Street. Where the stamp goes informs us that it requires a 1d stamp if with only senders name and address and 5 words conventional greeting. The great thing was that posted early in the day it would arrive same day to local addresses. Who needed mobile phones then!
See the difference in New Street in the age of the mobile phone and a Post Card now costs 36p (just over 7/-) First Class Post and arrives who knows when.

Attachments

• New St.jpg
    New St.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 28
A couple of views of Handsworth, has Villa Rd changed that much. It looks like the park has.

Phil

Handsworth Park.JPGHandsworth Villa Rd.jpg

Last edited:
Phil,
Sorry I'm out of sync now. When we went for a picnic at the airport in the 50's, it was actually on the grass, inside the airport's perimeter fence. I remember the observation lounge. When holidays abroad were still a novelty, you'd always go and wave family and friends off from there.
Ann

Two Postcards Of Salford Bridge

Attachments

• Salford park.jpg
    Salford park.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Salford Bridge.jpg
    Salford Bridge.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 26
Dont Know If These Of New Street Station Have Been Seen Before.

Attachments

• New St Station (3).jpg
    New St Station (3).jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 33
  • New St Station (1).jpg
    New St Station (1).jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 32
  • New St Station (2).jpg
    New St Station (2).jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 32
Phil,
Sorry I'm out of sync now. When we went for a picnic at the airport in the 50's, it was actually on the grass, inside the airport's perimeter fence. I remember the observation lounge. When holidays abroad were still a novelty, you'd always go and wave family and friends off from there.
Ann

Ann

I think there is a good chance that if you tried tried to picnic inside the fence today, you would get shot.

Phil

Mike

In the first picture of New Street (the older postcard) do you think that the ornate wrought iron awning on the building on the left hand side would be the old Midland Hotel, before it became the Burlington?

Judy

Mike

In the first picture of New Street (the older postcard) do you think that the ornate wrought iron awning on the building on the left hand side would be the old Midland Hotel, before it became the Burlington?

Judy

Judy,
You are right, it is the Midland Hotel. Here is a 1940's view with the canopy still in place and the hotel name readable, followed by a 1950's view with the canopy gone and a new frontage as the Burlington Hotel.
Mike

MRH Collection 709.jpg

Attachments

• City New Street to Town Hall 1955.JPG
    City New Street to Town Hall 1955.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 41
  • City New Street (11).jpg
    City New Street (11).jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Thanks for the information Mike. I thought it was the Midland Hotel. I remember going for an interview for a job on Reception there in the late 1950's when I was quite young. I don't remember whether I was offered the job or not, but I didnt go to work there! It is good to see the postcards and brings back memories.

Judy

My pleasure Judy.

Out to the suburbs again now to see Prince of Wales Lane, Warstock in the 1940's. Has hardly changed since this view except the shops have changed hands and the gas lamps have electric tops now. (And Austin cars are rarely seen).

Attachments

• Yardley Wood Prince of Wales Lane 1956 .jpg
    Yardley Wood Prince of Wales Lane 1956 .jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 31
Two little gems, Perry Barr tram terminus and Handsworth Villa Rd.

Phil

Perry Barr.jpgHandsworth Villa Road c1900.JPG

Last edited:
You two boys are coming up with some great postcards - they are a joy to see!

Mike - Another good one. My auntie and uncle used to live in Prince of Wales Lane and I visited them there several times.

Phil - Loved the one of Villa Road/Hampstead Road junction.

Judy

Hi. Mike. Another lovely photo of Prince of Wales lane, I remember it as it is in the photo, how nice it looks in comparison to today, the Austin 10 is outside Maynards radio shop, they were there untill about 10 years ago, in those days they had another shop in Glenavon Road, I used to take the accumalator out of our wireless to be be charged there.

Can I say many thanks to everyone who suplied these postcards ... I have really loved looking at them . You cant help but love Brum can you :)
Jean xx

It would be a bit remiss of me if I did not post this postcard of old Percy's clock that stood in the old market above the management office.

Phil

Percy Shurmers Clock 4.jpg

Last edited:
All you with the pictures never cease to amaze me. As we grew up we all had the chance to save old cards and pictures, most of us did not bother. Thank god you did because now we can all enjoy them. Thanks to all of you, they are great and bring back so many memories.

I was struck by the fact of how similar these two churches were. I have no knowledge of church architecture as I try to keep away from them, but I can still appreciate a beautiful building.

Can anybody with a knowledge of such things tell me where they built by the same architect/

The first one is St Paul's, Balsall Heath

The second is St Johns Ladywood.

Phil

St Pauls .jpgLadywood St Johns.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I ever remember seeing this windmill as I went in to the Greyhound on Hollaway Head for my couple of pints of rough, but I certainly saw it a few times on the way out.

Phil

Holloway Head Windmill .jpg

Last edited:
A Few More Views That Maybe Of Interest

Attachments

• Edgbaston Resevior.jpg
    Edgbaston Resevior.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Bournville Green.jpg
    Bournville Green.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Church Hill Northfield.jpg
    Church Hill Northfield.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 26
The seat of Birmingham's learning with its illustrious Chancellor, Vice Chancellor and Principal of the day.

Also two of Birmingham's much loved older buildings.

Stratford House & Blakesley Hall.

Phil

Edgbaston Birmingham University.jpgCamp Hill Stratford Place Stratford House.jpgYardley Blakesley Hall.jpg

Last edited:
Astonite, I did appeciate those views of old Erdington, especially the two of Stockland Green tram terminus, though I think you can see the overhead poles, carrying on down the centre resrervation of a newly opened Streetly Road, so the main terminus would have been over the dip at Short Heath Road by then. Jennyann will be fascinated as well, she grew near there.
Also the picture of the Art School, as I studied architecture there from 1950 to 1955. It was a wonderful building, especially inside.
Many thanks,
Peter

Your Post Cards "Of interest ?" ASTONITE, you bet your life they are - please keep 'em coming.

In contrast to Phil's beautiful churches here is the one I got married in. I have always thought rather irreverently that it looks a bit like the Alamo. What a disappointment the vicar wasn't John Wayne on the big day.
Mike

I am unable to even guess to what church Mike refers, but I leave the post here in the hope that one day might add it again

Back