• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

See Birmingham by Post Card

Lloyd I have always known the pub on audley road as the glebe, but I have just found out that it used to be called the cock and bull in the 60s.

Last edited:
Lloyd, I've just seen your five-piece letter card, posted on 24 July. I think the last pic, although titled 'Calthorpe Park' is in fact Perry Hall Park. The moat once surrounded Perry Hall, seat of the Gough-Calthorpes, which was demolished in the late 1920s. We used to have paddle-boats there - see under the Parks thread.
Peter

Think you are right Lloyd. Another view from almost the same spot and same time. Interestingly this Post Card was published by "Lewis's Ltd - Birmingham" Presume that is the Lewis's in Corporation Street.
BHF11_.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing to think that when the Town Hall was built it towered above the buildings that surrounded it. What would Mr. Hansom think if he could have seen 170 years into the future?

He would probably built it on stilts!

New Street c.1950's. The Town Hall just be seen in the backgound.

BHF13.jpg

Last edited:
Perry Village & Church.

Bournville Works.

Handsworth Baths.

Perry Village.jpgHandsworth Handsworth Baths Postcard.jpgBournville Works.jpg

Last edited:
Lloyd,
For bus nutters only
Sorry to pick nits, but I don't think the bus on the far right of your excellent picture was a Morris, because (1) it has it has a 'piano' front common to AEC Regents and a very short-lived Tilling Stevens demonstrator, and (2) it's offside destination indicator is upstairs above the last window but one, common only to 209, or one numbered between 369 and 443.
It was a silly idea to put the destination upstairs on the offside of the bus, but it was at the time when new buses were urgently needed, and the straight staircase was being introduced at the same time, so the question of destination display was relegated to neutral territory. Does anyone know today how much of the detail design was specified by the Corporation and how much was filled in by the builders? An interesting question, I think.
Peter

I don't think the bus on the far right of your excellent picture was a Morris, because (1) it has it has a 'piano' front common to AEC Regents and a very short-lived Tilling Stevens demonstrator, and (2) it's offside destination indicator is upstairs above the last window but one, common only to 209, or one numbered between 369 and 443.

Oh yes. Well, it is late! I was going by the over-shiny radiator, and the destination slipped my gaze. Well spotted Peter!

It's back to Corporation Street and the No.8 and No.10 trams have recently gone forever but the track has yet to be removed. So much to see in this view. The queues at each bus stop, a feast of parked cars to name, and the shops. Don't you just love it!

BHF14.jpg

Last edited:
Still out in the suburbs - it's the Maypole in all it's glory. Apart from the bus with hubcaps on just look at the Smiths Crisps van making a delivery. Those steps up the back to reach the canvas covered roof rack that held the tins the packets of crisps came in before cardboard boxes (don't eat the blue crisp, it ain't 'alf salty). Remember the notice on the back of the rack to motorists following the van "We wish to extend to you the courtesy of the road - if you need to pass please sound your horn". They don't make 'em like that anymore! How many kids would stand outside the pub and chobble through them Smiths crisps washed down with a bottle of pop while Dad had a swift half inside?

BHF16.jpg

Last edited:
One of the first "new look" Daimlers at the Maypole, 2031 etc. I used to go to Wheelers Lane school on these, the 50s ran to the Maypole, and the 48s to Druids Heath, they ran out of Moseley Rd. garage and took over the old 35 route from Station St. to the Maypole which ran out of Yardley Wood garage.

City centre again and it's Victoria Square c.1950's (unused card approximately dated from the Morris Commercial van by the single deck Midland Red bus)

BHF17.jpg

Last edited:
Still out in the suburbs - it's the Maypole in all it's glory. Apart from the bus with hubcaps on just look at the Smiths Crisps van making a delivery. Those steps up the back to reach the canvas covered roof rack that held the tins the packets of crisps came in before cardboard boxes (don't eat the blue crisp, it ain't 'alf salty). Remember the notice on the back of the rack to motorists following the van "We wish to extend to you the courtesy of the road - if you need to pass please sound your horn". They don't make 'em like that anymore! How many kids would stand outside the pub and chobble through them Smiths crisps washed down with a bottle of pop while Dad had a swift half inside?
I work in Jamaica frequently and the Highway Code of Jamaica still says "sound the horn if wishing to pass". Can send a scan if anyone wants to enlarge the relevant pages.

Richie, sounds interesting, put it on,it's worth a look, not many of us get to see a Jamaican Highway Code I reckon.

Meanwhile our tour by Post Card continues... The aftermath of World War II is still evident in this 1940's view of Corporation Street. C & A's would fill the gap later on.

BHF18.jpg

Last edited:
Mike,
Just been looking at that last pic of Corporation Street in about 1949, and I'm wondering if that suspended street light is gas or electric. As I remember, there was at that time still quite a lot of gas lighting in the city centre. I believe it was quite efficient, but somebody had to go round every few days to wind up (or reset) the clock which switched them on and off. It doesn't look as though there's even a half-inch gas pipe on the span wire, so I suppose it must have been electric lighting by then.
I still love gas lighting, but I've not seen any in Brum (where Murdock introduced it to the world at the Soho Works) for ages. It has a magical greeny glow to it, and there is still some in a London street only a quarter of a mile from Westminster Abbey, in Maunsel Street, which I see from time to time. Nice picture.
Peter

I really liked the picture of Corporation Street in 1949, Mike. I used to work in offices above the doorway on the right of the picture (Princess Chambers I think it was called), but that was about 1956 and I think C&A was there then, but not sure. I worked in the Film Booking Department of the Clifton Cinema Circuit.

Judy

Mind my Horn!

Richie, sounds interesting, put it on,it's worth a look, not many of us get to see a Jamaican Highway Code I reckon.

As promised. Unfortunately the latest edition(2004,published every 5 years in Kingston) has let the reference to 'courtesy prior to overtaking' fall by the wayside as people use the horn internationally nowadays to justify pushing people out of the way, but I can assure you it is amongst older drivers in Jamaica a taught practice from many years ago.

However, there is still the clause as to when NOT to use the horn which will amuse you all; including when passing Parliament in session-in order not to wake the blighters up!!

Attachments

• jhc1.JPG
    jhc1.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 13
  • jhc2.JPG
    jhc2.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 12
  • jhc3.JPG
    jhc3.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Peter, the overhead lights were electric, not gas. Did you notice also the wood block road surface which was lethal when wet. I recall watching the driver of a Leyland Comet Shell BP fuel tanker having stopped in traffic on the slope up from New Street having serious wheelspin trying to pull away on the wood. From it seemed nowhere, some blokes appeared with shovels of what looked like ashes and threw under his wheels and to the applause of the crowd gathered now to watch, the fuel was on it's way. The traffic jam it caused must have caused gridlock behind it for a while. The wood blocks were later ashphalted over but as you can see in the next Post Card from 1963 the blocks were starting to show through again. Later in the 60's they were replaced altogether.

BHF19.jpg

Last edited:
Here we go

View attachment 16960 The year I was Born

View attachment 16961

Its taken me week to steam these photos out of one of those stick down Albums

Alf
Stick down albums are a curse and should be banned - they are worse still if you store them in a pile. Those at the bottom will have the photos welded to the pages as I have just found out. It came up on another thread and I didn't realise my wife had transferred some of the family photos to stick downs until I happened to mention to her that it was a good job we didn't use this sort. I thought she went a bit red as I was telling her. Never mind they are safe now. (and I still love her).

Can you still get those cards of yours from the library do you know? I like those.
Mike

I really liked the picture of Corporation Street in 1949, Mike. I used to work in offices above the doorway on the right of the picture (Princess Chambers I think it was called), but that was about 1956 and I think C&A was there then, but not sure. I worked in the Film Booking Department of the Clifton Cinema Circuit.

Judy
Judy it's great on here how these bits of interesting things come about from these Post Cards.
I knew a girl in the 1960's who worked in the MGM Film Booking Office which I think was somewhere off New Street. Her name was Margaret, did you have any contact with that office in your job?
Mike

I can't remember Mike, but its more than possible. It was my second job after leaving school and I was only 15 and I didn't like it much so didn't pay much attention to what was going on !! These postcards bring back so many memories don't they?

Judy

5 postcards to make up for being missing all week.

The first one is Bristol Rd Bournbrook c1906, .

The second one is Broad Street, a little earlier than the last I would think.

The third is Edgbaston Old Church in 1906 again

The next is a floral crown in Cannon Hill Park. It is obviously to early to be for our queens coronation, but it mat have been for her father.

And the last is a milk delivery to Cadbury's.

Selly Oak Bristol Rd Bournbrook .jpgBroad Street.jpgEdgbaston Old Church 1906.jpgEdgbaston Cannon Hill Park Flower Crown.jpgMilk Delivery to Cadbury's.jpg

Last edited:
Phil
Also the greenest and most energy efficient way. It may return. Tescos are delivering bulk wine by canal.
I suspect the label is a bit disingenuous. The churns probably contained sweetened condensed milk for delivery to the factory. this would be used in caramels and similar products. The chocolate crumb was always manufactured at one of the crumb factories, these being sited so as to be near the cows. The crumb (or condensed milk ) was then stable and could stand the canal journey without deterioration. Somewhere I have a copy of an order for a canal boat by Cadbury's for this purpose. I'll try and sort it out.
Mike

Tip for stick down Albums, use a Hairdrier on low setting it takes time but its worth it.

If they turn up some of mine did I put them between pages of a heavy book, but don't forget to put them between two sheets of plain paper.

Happy blowing

I think its time to take a little walk around a few of the streets of Birmingham.

Lets start our first little outing with a stroll around The Green at Erdington Village.

Next we could nick over to Handsworth and take a ramble down Church Lane.

What about a trip down Spakbrook along the Stratford Rd, passing the magnificent St Agatha's Church on the way.

Just leaving time for a walk down Burlington rd Hall Green

Before returning to New Street to catch a brand new Midland Red 110 bus to where?

Erdington The Green.jpgHandsworth Church Lane.jpgSparkbrook St Agathas Stratford Rd.jpgHall Green Burlington Rd.jpgNew Street.jpg

Last edited:
Back