• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

See Birmingham by Post Card

Lloyd

Re#150 Do you know if he designed St Pauls, Balsall Heath?

Phil
I couldn't find a reference, Phil.
I hadn't heard of Teulon before, I guessed at first they might have been by Bidlake before I did a quick search, possibly St Paul's was, I don't know.

I'm not sure its a postcard, I know its a painting. I'm not sure where I got it from, it may even have been from this site, All I know is I think it is so good and I have so many memories of similar scenes that I feel I have got to post it here.

Phil

Rednal Tram Depot Lickey Hills.jpg

Last edited:
It is a lovley reminder of the Lickeys, a summer day and a picnic.

I looked at Teulon on Wikipedia, he designed St John the Baptiste, 1856
St John's Ladywood finished in 1854, and St James Edgbaston 1852. He was born in Greenwich the son of a Huguenot family.

A Few More,and An Unusual One

Attachments

• Jamaica Row.jpg
    Jamaica Row.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Council House.jpg
    Council House.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 38
  • City Arcade.jpg
    City Arcade.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 37
Last edited by a moderator:
Smashing photo's Astonite, what a lovely card the last one is. Thanks for posting them

Astonite, the first picture is Jamaica Row. Can you give some details which is the road itself, and maybe what are the prominent buildings remaining?

Thanks. Richie.

Richie,the map is one from 1909, the name apparently,comes from a pub in the area called 'the black boy' named after King Charles11, who apparently was rather dark-skinned. None of the buildings in the picture are still standing, and I havent a clue as to what they were. The picture was taken after a serious fire in 1906.

Attachments

• jamaica row (2).JPG
    jamaica row (2).JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 24
Richie
This picture has been on before on https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?p=46699.It is a better scan there and it can be seen that the next building is the xxx Arms.
In the previous post it was said that the fire was at Hyndman Bros. Cromwell claimed that the map (1) he presented (blue arrow on map) showed the pub next door to the fire, but I think this must be incorrect, in that this pub (which is called the Plough & Harrow in Kellys 1876, 1896 and 1912) in addition to never having been called the xxxx Arms, was not next to the corner plot, with another plot between . On examining Kelly's , the 1896 edition does not mention Hyndman bros, but the 1912 ed.(presumably after rebuilding) puts them at 72-78 Jamaica st (see attached). The 1890 map attached shows a PH next to this in Moat Row. the 1876, 1896, 1912 1nd 1921 Kelly's all refer to it as a beer retailer, though by 1940 it has become Harveys Commercial hotel.
Therefore the building to the left of the photo is the unnamed pub at 23 Moat Row , and the buildings down to the right at nos 82-90 Jamaica Row.
The end of the buildings on the right is the junction with Sherlock St, which on the map is shown to be a wideish junction, as appears in the photo.
Mike

jamaica_row__map1901A.jpg

kellys_1912.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
Corporation Street - 1940's and 60's. Shows the difference 20 years can make and what was lost for Rackhams.

Great Phil the more the merrier!

I watched Rackhams being built when I went to Pitmans College in Corporation Street. I can't remember the buildings that were knocked down ... so thank you for the photos. Georgie

You are very welcome Georgie, here is another look at the same location, this time in the early 1960's. Rackham's would soon be along.
Mike

Attachments

• City Corporation St Postcard (2).jpg
    City Corporation St Postcard (2).jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 30
Victoria Square and Colmore Row Colour tinted view posted from Erdington when it had it's own postmark on 23-4-1954

Attachments

• City Victoria Square Colmore Row .jpg
    City Victoria Square Colmore Row .jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 21
Another 1950's view . Colmore Row before the tower block appeared beyond the Council House and is already to be replaced. New build should match the buildings around it but it won't happen.

Attachments

• Colmore Row.jpg
    Colmore Row.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 14
It's out of town time again and Alcester Lanes End in the time before the orange streetlamps took over. Remember Brum's calcium lamps and the soft greeny white light?

Attachments

• The tram terminus Alcester Lanes End[1].jpg
    The tram terminus Alcester Lanes End[1].jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 29
Hi All.
Found this one any ideas?
Pete

Attachments

• Yardley Wood Rd[1].jpg
    Yardley Wood Rd[1].jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 35
Here is one of Highbury Hall.Have no idea of the date it was taken.BobS.

Attachments

• Highbury Hall.jpg
    Highbury Hall.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 12
Hi motorman-mike and all the other posters. Just a little thank you from me too, for putting on all these wonderful photo's of our great city. Really enjoying this thread. Regards, Florence

It's great to know everyone is enjoying these old Post Cards as much as we are posting them. The Tour continues and now it's down 1950's New Street.

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 16
I think we are going to need an index on this thread, its getting a little hard to know what has been posted and what has not.

Here two of Coventry Road, one at Small Heath and the other at Hay Mills.

Phil

Small Heath PC Coventry Rd 1.jpgCoventry Rd Hay Mills.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one of Highbury Hall.Have no idea of the date it was taken.BobS.

From the style of your card and popularity of sending and saving them in albums at the time, that your view is from the early 1900's. It is only a guess though.

Still down New Street but in a colourful 1920's view, and how about buses with open staircases and the Laurel and Hardy looking car.

Attachments

• New St (2).jpg
    New St (2).jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 16
a couple more

Attachments

• Five Ways Five Ways.jpg
    Five Ways Five Ways.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 37
  • City Five Ways Postcard.jpg
    City Five Ways Postcard.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 32
Here is a nice modern view, but nevertheless much changed today. Auchinleck Square, Five Ways.

Phil

Five Ways Auchinleck Square 1988.jpg

Last edited:
Its not only our generation that mourn the passing the passing of time. It looks as if we have always had transport buffs. Well someone must have purchased these cards.

Phil

Attachments

• PC007-20454-17web%20large[1].jpg
    PC007-20454-17web%20large[1].jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Here is a nice modern view, but nevertheless much changed today. Auchinleck Square, Five Ways.

Phil

Same place, different aspect and time. The green patch on the left is a bit different now!

Attachments

• Five Ways.jpg
    Five Ways.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 25
Out in the country but still in Brum, this will appeal to the Pub Thread regulars as well.

Attachments

• Old Rose & Crown.jpg
    Old Rose & Crown.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 22
Sparkhill Institute, Stratford Rd Sparkhill. Which I think later became Sparkhill Police Station.

I think that Birmingham Police Museum is also housed there these days.

Phil

Sparkhill Council House.jpg

Last edited:
Back