• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
An Fanny's a rude word.

Or ......me Aunt Fanny!.

Wherm yowm a gooin,? ta say Mary Jones's bum in the bath.

Mary Jones is a bag o bones an a bally fulla fat.

Er's a big fat wench erd mek tow a yow.

A lick an a promise

My dear late friend's mum used to say that Wobblyclogs, she was from Cardiff.

Mowkerin about, I suppose meant making a pig's ear out of an easy job.

Ar need ta goo ta shoe market. Or rag market if clothes were worn out. Or it's me religious pullover, me oly one. (With a hole in)

If something was done and the person was happy with their work, that's as near as damn it is ta swearin.

The things ee comes out with they ought ta stick in is throat an choke im. (For lies.)

Ar need ta goo ta shoe market. Or rag market if clothes were worn out. Or it's me religious pullover, me oly one. (With a hole in)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This just reminded me of what my Dad, a man of many sayings, used to say, he was born and bred in Small Heath. He's call Brum the Holey City, more holey than righteous! With reference to the manholes.

Of pious people, 'ees 'olier than thow.' and sometimes called vicars, preachers especially if they didn't like them, or 'oly Joes of overtly religious folk. Saying that my family were all church goers, mum went three times on Sunday changing clothes in between, morning service, Sunday school then evensong and no work to be done or games, just read a book. but she was allowed to cook the dinner which she loved doing as it was her mum's day off.

Gillies is a name given to quite a few fragrant flowers. Wallflowers being one example. They came over from France it seems, around the time of the Norman Invasion. In those days, cloves were used in 'nosegays', which was a means of smothering the scent of unwashed human flesh! The French word for cloves is 'girofle', which is probably how any fragrant blooms became gillies. I can't prove this of course, but for sure wallflowers are very sweet scented.
Hope that helps.

John

If someone belched, get yer fayte out the truff, an yower trotters off the table.

Ees got iz legs in again. Or... iz legs under, (the table) He has been welcomed in to say a family. Or company.

Ar giv me two pennuth, I had my say

Since 'Del Boy and Only Fools and Horses', the term 'ankle-biters' has become popular for kiddywinks, in the Midlands; so iI am told!
:cool:

My quotes and replies won't attach to yours but.... I had a mate, Mick Woodward, played football, they said of him, Woody bites yer legs. I have heard this in a football term since. We used to have a fantay football team each year, mate's was called Rosie Bites yer legs. Mine were always something I could insult the bullying Management with.

At work if the boss was in a mood, which was often, we would warn each other "old GBH is in an arm biter today" or "he has got one on him. " Bernie my late colleague would whisper, "lie low, lie low."
One of my nicknames was Whispering Jack Smith as I don't speak very loud. There must have been a Whispering Jack maybe?
He's got the screaming abdabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back