• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there is a tonic I think called something like Epipecianawine. When Nan was vexed and Great Gran was around so Nan dare not blaspheme or hint at a 'cuss', she would say, "oh eckypecky anawine" because she often said it all about face, and "eckypecky anawine kissed the babby and the swine." Mum would sometimes say "oh ecky flip!" And of someone who was from up north they were ''ecky thump". When she was vehement at not obeying someone "Am ar eckers like'."And of the foul mouthed woman next door, 'er next dowa er cussed 'im pink!"

I am talking to the engine driver, not the tin can on the back. I am talking to the organ grinder not his monkey.

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Wherever you be,
Let your wind go free,
For holdoing my wind
Was the death of me.

Pardon me for being so rude,
Pardon me it was my food
Pardon me it was my tea,
Pardon, but it was not me.
My school mate used to say that.

No miners in my family Morturn. I lived not far from the Hampstead Colliery mind.
My mother was born in Musgrave Road, Winson Green. She insisted it was Handsworth though.

John

Another I remember if it’s right
He’s in his oil tot.
I assume that means he’s happy but not sure what an oil tot is ???

So an oil tot would be a similar thing to having a glass of milk before going out on the tiles. To line your stomach.
That is a great list.
My Dad had a few sayings some of which I'm sure he made up.
Bangers and red lead was a sausage and tomato in a batch or sandwich ( I'm a Coventry kid but he was a Brummie!)
He'd call Brum the Holy City, more holy than righteous, because of all the manholes.
One of his favourites was You're enough to make a parson spit blackin'.
What a jib or don't fall over your bottom lip
Plus all the other ones that have been mentioned. x

Not a saying, but a Midland idiom, regularly used by Pete when he is in correspondence with Maurice.....Our Maurice; and I realised that there was always the possessive 'our' regularly used when referring to a family member in the midlands. My Nan who lived in Harborne always spoke of our Jane/Ada/Hannah her sisters or our John/Elsie her children

Bob

Bab, which is also Coventry, it seems and duck. Me duck, Leicester and Coventry. Ma Duck. My late Irish friend who lived most of her life here said Duckie. My last colleagues and myself before redundancy were all called Me Babby. An Irish woman a Scots woman and me. Nan called grandad mar chap to other people. And other womens' wives and husbands 'is missis and 'er old mon. An old 'ooman. An old woman. A mon ooman. A manly woman. Namby Pamby. A man usually who was not very manly. An old jossa. An old codger. A bright 'erb (herb) an odd person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bab, which is also Coventry, it seems and duck. Me duck, Leicester and Coventry. Ma Duck. My late Irish friend who lived most of her life here said Duckie. My last colleagues and myself before redundancy were all called Me Babby. An Irish woman a Scots woman and me. Nan called grandad mar chap to other people. And other womens' wives and husbands 'is missis and 'er old mon. An old 'ooman. An old woman. A mon ooman. A manly woman. Namby Pamby. A man usually who was not very manly. An old jossa. An old codger. A bright 'erb (herb) an odd person.
i was a me duck. (derby) .now i dont care what folks call me, as long as its not late for the pub

Not a saying, but a Midland idiom, regularly used by Pete when he is in correspondence with Maurice.....Our Maurice; and I realised that there was always the possessive 'our' regularly used when referring to a family member in the midlands. My Nan who lived in Harborne always spoke of our Jane/Ada/Hannah her sisters or our John/Elsie her children

Bob

And in the Black Country, Our Wench.

Dad referred to me as the Nipper. I have heard the Bab. His nibs, for a boss. The Tiddler though that was a personal appendage in my family.
Heard Pab once.

My uncle Bernard was always called Bun by his wife. My sister (AND ONLY MY SISTER) calls me Bun ocasionally. :) ;)

NoddKD. Touchy about his moniker. :):)
We used to say in a B&B, I called them Auntie Jean and Uncle Bunny. Everyone called him Bunny.I have heard Honey Bun and Honey Bunch. Hun at work.

We used to say in a B&B, I called them Auntie Jean and Uncle Bunny. Everyone called him Bunny.I have heard Honey Bun and Honey Bunch. Hun at work.

My wife calls me honeybun ocasionally but I believe that is more to do with the mad rabbit of Westward TV fame than anything to to with Brummie sayings. She is a Maid of Kent so Brum speak is a mystery to her! ;) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back