• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi jean;
the old term of expression was ; he,s a gonna ; and that he is brown bread gone now
i am sure there are other sayinging out there it al depends what part of the country you live in ;
best wishes astoian ;; alan

Beat wishes Alan. Of course croaked it comes to mind. Carolina ours had a pattern on the bottom. [The Guz Under that is]. Was that a poash one????????????. Jean.

When I was sulking and frowning (!) Nan used to to tell me "You'll stick like it".
I was forever in trouble for having my hands in my pockets..."You'll pull your coat out of shape".
If I dragged my shoes "Stop slommocking". (Don't know how to spell it though).
Dad used to say "Use your Gumption" for use your common sense. If he couldn't think of the name of something he would call it a "Doofer".
Not really Brummie sayings, but just remembering conversations.

Rosie I only said Slomocking to Peter the other day as the heel is hanging off his working shoes and you should have hear him up the path.

I was talking to an elderly lady on Friday who was born and bred in Brum. She was telling me of a family friend who had fallen on hard times, she announced "and now she has had to go on the treacle stick...I haven't heard that in years. I had to smile but felt sorry for the person she was referring to but also thought they wouldn't be as badly off as those who actually went on the treacle stick!

Hi All,

When someone kicks the bucket we usually have a whip round to buy flowers. Does anyone know the origin of whip round? By the way I apologise for adding to the rather morbid trend of this thread as of late.

Old Boy

Let's put a few flowers into the thread Chris. Kicking up daisies referred to a person in Witton Cemetery or Aston churchyard. Pete said when you were sat around being idle folk would say "This won't buy the baby a new bonnet". I had not heard this one.

GG jean my mothers expression was "this won't get the po's emptied" here we are back to the guzzunder again...Brenda

Goiing back to the baby in the pram - if someone was angry the saying was 'he has thrown his toys out of the pram'. Also, another saying for getting married was 'jump the broomstick' (as sung by Brenda Lee)

Humdinger - I use the word but is it a real word? Have no idea of how it originated. Viv.

If my mother was given a compliment or something that would make her blush, she used to say 'Oooo I have gone all un-necessary now'.

Thanks Jean. Looks like it's quite a modern, slang type of word. Can relate to the phrase 'humdinger of a recession'. Think we're all feeling it. Viv.

I didn't realize it was a modern day word either Viv. Listened in to Danny Kelly today and you would be surprised at some of the new words or sayings. Suppose in a hundred years time they will be the old sayings of the past?. Jean.

G G Jean's (post #80) agrees with the Oxford English Dictionary which defines a humdinger as 'A remarkable or outstanding person or thing, anything of notable excellence. slang (orig. U.S.)'. According to the OED it's use is first recorded in 1905 -Dialect Notes 3 62 Hum-dinger, term of admiration. ‘She's a humdinger.’

If your shoes squeaked, "You've not paid for your shoes then".
Chris told me that this morning when we were walking round the shops in Banbury, so maybe not necessarily a Brummie saying.

yes another saying was amongest the adults as i was a nipper and i can only presume it was as i have heard it said loads of time
by the older gereration especialy by my old man; was bobs your uncle and fanny,s your aunt either way he used to finish that thrase
and amongest us kids growing up would have been how much money have you got if we are going to the flix [ meaning the picture house]
was either you have got half a crown ; would say two and a kick ; or you would say four and a kick ; meaning four shillings and sixpence
or i have only got a tanner to spend ;
best wishes to all astonian;; alan;

Re: Where have you been?

the ones i remember were,wash your donnies
buy yourself some cuckups
put the miskin out

In my childhood, another name for cheese was "toyt".
Another name for an usherette was a "corsiteer". (derived from "yo cor sit 'ere !").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back