• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sayings, legends and customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the weather get any worse - who knows. St Swithins day 15 July - another 40 days of rain???

Nan used to say that too, or if it rained on St Swithin's day it would christen the apples or something like that.
She also said " I hate the very breath and sight of" something...usually Coventry. "It's the most unfriendliest city" so unfriendly she stayed for over 40 years.
NIco

Late to this thread.We do have to take some of the explanations with a pinch of salt. Morris Dancing ( I am an occassional dancer) is usually made up of a "side" of six men for cotswold, and eight for yorkshire Longsword, and up to eight for Border Morris. It originated from a mixture of cultural activities, guild processions, Royal tournaments where sides of men actually re-enacted famous battles, but had to be toned down cos people were getting killed, and village fun (ales)based on "robin Hood" stories.

Sorry to be boring!!!.
By the way does anyone know what an "Oiltot" is as my mom was always sayingt "he was in his oiltot" meaning he was content I think

Late to this thread.We do have to take some of the explanations with a pinch of salt. Morris Dancing ( I am an occassional dancer) is usually made up of a "side" of six men for cotswold, and eight for yorkshire Longsword, and up to eight for Border Morris. It originated from a mixture of cultural activities, guild processions, Royal tournaments where sides of men actually re-enacted famous battles, but had to be toned down cos people were getting killed, and village fun (ales)based on "robin Hood" stories.

Sorry to be boring!!!.
By the way does anyone know what an "Oiltot" is as my mom was always sayingt "he was in his oiltot" meaning he was content I think
Hello Leonardo
Have you heard of nine mens' morris? I am told it's a board game, I have the board belonging to my gt gt Aunt, and the pieces are a ball shape with a foot underneath. Also called Merills maybe?
Nico

Sorry to be boring!!!.
Hello Leonardo
Have you heard of nine mens' morris? I am told it's a board game, I have the board belonging to my gt gt Aunt, and the pieces are a ball shape with a foot underneath. Also called Merills maybe?
Nico

Yes nine mens morris is a very old English game, very simple to play but difficult to master.
It sounds a bit like me then. My aunt also gave me an old game called Spillicans, or Spellicans which has been revamped I would think as Ker Plunk. And a card game called Bezique with a complicated (to me) score card.

Yes nine mens morris is a very old English game, very simple to play but difficult to master.
I also had some domino cards which I gave to my niece as she collects playing cards. I assumed they were French from the writing on the box.
I you an expert in games of yesteryear Leonardo?
Nico

we used to play a card game called "chase the ace" when a boy I wonder where that came from, my dad reconed it to be an old French card game.
paul

Hi Nico, Spellicans was "re-invented" as Pick-up-sticks. My son had a version which was old-type garden tools about 8ins long in plastic, they had to be tipped out of a tube (a bit like Pringles!) and then removed one by one without disturbing the rest. Ker-plunk was slightly different as it had a bowl of marbles which fell through.
rosie.

Hi Nico, Spellicans was "re-invented" as Pick-up-sticks. My son had a version which was old-type garden tools about 8ins long in plastic, they had to be tipped out of a tube (a bit like Pringles!) and then removed one by one without disturbing the rest. Ker-plunk was slightly different as it had a bowl of marbles which fell through.
rosie.
Hi Rosie, i never had either of those games. The spellicans I have are made of bone, with the odd wooden piece and they are as you say, tools. These are quite small the box is about 4 inches long it still has the rules in it too.Each tool has a roman numeral etched or inked on it.
Nico.

No Nico noty at all just interested in Trivia and History Trivia. Like why did my Nan who lived in Gt Russell St, and the people always pronounce "Tuesday" as "Toosdy" and "Stew" as "Stoo", and wht was "Sterra" (Sterilized) milk so popular in Brum.
Why was Park Drive a ciggie mainly smoked by Brummies, and why was "Roe and Chips" a particularly B'ham favourite.

No Nico noty at all just interested in Trivia and History Trivia. Like why did my Nan who lived in Gt Russell St, and the people always pronounce "Tuesday" as "Toosdy" and "Stew" as "Stoo", and wht was "Sterra" (Sterilized) milk so popular in Brum.
Why was Park Drive a ciggie mainly smoked by Brummies, and why was "Roe and Chips" a particularly B'ham favourite.
Nan said on a Toosday Mary Ann, and tuth ache, and catching the number 9 buz. And Past yer eyes milk, she did the action with it. Love roe and chips.

Here's another "Oops a daisy". Used that a lot when the kids were litle. Viv.
And Bumps a daisy or was it Bums a daisy? When we toppled over as toddlers.
I have also heard up a day.
Grandad used to say up guns an at em! Guess that came from the war.
Nico:love-struck:

Funny thing, about the only fags the NAAFI in Germany didn't stock were Park Drive. My mate was from Nottinghamshire and he liked them too.
After living away from Brum for a while I found the taste of "sterra" was disgusting !
My (Winson Green) Dad always called cheese "toyt" (I'm not sure if there's a correct way of spelling it). I'd love it if someone could give me the origin of that one.

My Brummie colleague said, bye a bit. Tara a bit.
My Brummie auntie said eat your peacie, bread and butter.
Nan called tea tay.

Funny thing, about the only fags the NAAFI in Germany didn't stock were Park Drive. My mate was from Nottinghamshire and he liked them too.
After living away from Brum for a while I found the taste of "sterra" was disgusting !
My (Winson Green) Dad always called cheese "toyt" (I'm not sure if there's a correct way of spelling it). I'd love it if someone could give me the origin of that one.
That's really interesting I have never heard of that Baz. My friend who comes from Bed'th (Bedworth) calles her lunch her snap. Me snap tin. I have heard it called bait once. My dad worked with a man from the Doone Valley, a John Ridd, he called pasties tiddyoggies.
It has stopped raining.
Nico

I worship at Great St Mary's (Cambridge)weekly, and have done so since 1998, I never realised that the chimes of 'Big Ben' were copied from her bells, but have often thought on a Sunday morning how they sound similar to 'Big Ben's' chimes funny that!!!
paul

At school we used to sing a song to the Wstminster Chime Melody
Ding dong ding dong
Your nuts gone wrong
2 screws are loose
That is no use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back