• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sayings, legends and customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
reading this brought me back to when i was younger exactly what my ma used to say and on all hallows eve we left bread and water out at midnight and opened the door with a lit candle so spirits who passed over could eat and drink on their way

Hello Katy, it really is strange to read what was just accepted as fact in the past.

Hi guys ;
another one is if he or she was extremly lucky ; or talked there way out of trouble
and if one did not particular like the said person ;
they would say is if they fell into muck ; by damm they would come up smelling of roses eh;; and walk away with there tales behind them ; best wishes astonian ;;;

I used to like the Brummy one "if he fell off the top of Rackhams he would fall into a new suit"....ha ha

When you was a child in the early years of your life ; some parents would say to the child when there first set of teeth start falling out was ; bfore you go up to bed tonigh ; wrapp your tooth up in paper with abit of salt and the fairies willcome when you are a sleep and leave you 6 pence ; [ a tanner in those days and when the child woke up next morning you would look for that silver sixpenny piece
under your pillow ; [ try telling that to kids today ;they would laugh at you ] they do not even beleive in father christmas no more
not just like we did when we was kids , astonian ;;

Alan mine still believe but it's not a tanner any more it's a pound!!! My granddaughter was devastated when one of her teeth came out and she accidentally swollowed it, because she wanted a pound off the fairies...

Hi guys ;
another one is if he or she was extremly lucky ; or talked there way out of trouble
and if one did not particular like the said person ;
they would say is if they fell into muck ; by damm they would come up smelling of roses eh;; and walk away with there tales behind them ; best wishes astonian ;;;
Nan said that too but she didn't say muck!

Alan mine still believe but it's not a tanner any more it's a pound!!! My granddaughter was devastated when one of her teeth came out and she accidentally swollowed it, because she wanted a pound off the fairies...
Do girls still sleep on a piece of wedding cake, or look at their reflection with a candle on halloween to see the face of the person they will marry I wonder?

When you was a child in the early years of your life ; some parents would say to the child when there first set of teeth start falling out was ; bfore you go up to bed tonigh ; wrapp your tooth up in paper with abit of salt and the fairies willcome when you are a sleep and leave you 6 pence ; [ a tanner in those days and when the child woke up next morning you would look for that silver sixpenny piece
under your pillow ; [ try telling that to kids today ;they would laugh at you ] they do not even beleive in father christmas no more
not just like we did when we was kids , astonian ;;
I believe in him I was named after him. Though there we Several I believe including the one who left sweets for children and another who looked out for single women or was it fallen women?

If we spilt salt mom would insist we threw a pinch over the shoulder otherwise it would bring bad luck.

We also put a coin in a purse or handbag when we gave one as a present, and money when gave a knife or knives as a present. Is it a Brummie thing or do other areas do the same.
I know the Welsh and the Irish put a penny in their purses too and the salt is Black Country too. Mum would eat a bit burn a bit and throw a bit over her left shoulder. I was on a bus in Dublin and every time we passed a church the passengers mainly mature women all crossed themselves and said a prayer.

Rosie - it was the same in my family, a coin would always be put inside a purse for luck before giving it to anyone. Another thing my Mom used to say if we were getting dressed and had put things on inside out, she would always tell us to leave it as it was as it was bad luck to change it.

Judy
I can't remember why but mum used to say, say a poet's nam for luck but not Shakespeare because the spear was bad luck?

My wife always said to me that she found "Morris Dancing" sinister and oddly dark???? I never could myself but just recently an old friend said exactly the same.!!!
paul
I found it sinister in The Wicker Man, We have Morris Men in Cov and Mummers who black up. They go from pub to pubs.

What a 'palaver' was saying that was used - in fact I used it today.
Nice to hear that Carolina, another one of Nan's she would say what a paloo and palaver.
And Wacker wacker woo ....(to let of steam I suppose).
It's a rum do, ee's a rum 'un

When I was a tiddler I remember rushing to Highters Heath Junior school, terrified of being late. You'd always hear other kids shouting "'urry up, it's five and twenty ter nine".

I've never heard twenty five said that way since, (except in Germany of course). Does it still crop up ?
That's another thin Baz, a tiddler to me was in my nether regions. I was quite shocked (at 4 and a half) to hear it at school meaning the way you mean it. I was used to the word nipper.

As a child in the 2 houses i remember we had a Horseshoe above the back door.
My mom also would never have chalk ornaments in the house, she said they were unlucky.
My partner's Caribbean aunt wouldn't have amthysts in the house yet my Caribbean colleague kept some in her handbag for luck. She told me it depended which island you came from.Mum would never have lilac in the house nor will I. I am a laughing stock. My partner gives lily of the valley on May Day for luck love and friendship.

If someone was a bit stupid they were called yampy.
Nan said yampy too and doo lally tap.
At the end of a song she would sing, ump tiddley batch kerk, brarn bread, ever sin a donkey stand on is jed.
My mate's Dublin mum sang at the end of a song...Fresh Fish!

I may have posted these two on another thread but I've lost track.

Talking to me (95 year old) Mom the other day. Expressing her contempt for someone she said "She wants coal crackin' on 'er 'ead".
My late Dad was allways saying it too, usually about me, I might add.

Another of his expressions was "Her's gorra face like a bosted boot !". (One of my favourites !).
So good to know you still have your mom, mine would have said, less of the owd!
I also posted before Nan's saying of ...worra motley crew theym like a cart load a monkeys gooin t'll t'ava..... (an unspeakable)
My friends mum said, as flat as a witches (oh I can't say that either)

I still say "If she fell off Rackhams she would fall in a fur coat"

" And Apples to Orchards "
I really like that one, made me laugh out loud.
A Glaswegian colleague in need of a cup of tea used to say ....I am spittin' feathers and dry as a budgie's a....
Nan would say, I'm all right Jack, pull down the ladder.
Or, eee's a gooin at it like a pig at a tater.

In my younger days, if you broke wind the reply would be "Fall in the officers " !
Well I am told the French say of a person who thinks they are above themselves, .....she er, breaks wind... higher then her a.. (oh I can't say that can I)
Or if someone is a real sanctimonious bore they are a pet sec = a dry fart (can I say that?)

When you don't know the name of something....Dad always said the wotsit or the oozit.
Nan said the oo jar capivvy. Or the doo dah.
I used to say the thingy.
My mate's Dublin auntie said, the yoke.
I just remembered another one of nan's ditties...
You've got a pimple on yer smeller sweet Marie, An I'm sure it didn't come through drinkin tea!

Mum said to me if I was being a bit cocky or know all ish, did you fall in the knife box this morning
Nan would say yowm so sharp you'll cut yer throat one day
And if I had said, well I thought etc. Grandad would say, yow know what thought did dow yer? Eee thought ee 'ad an' ee adn't.
Or if something looked out of place like something very small on something very big, often said about a person's body or dress, he would say it's like a tom tit on a hay rick, and Nan would say, like Venus on a rock cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back