• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saltley & Alum Rock

I LIVED AND WORKED ON THE SHETLAND S TOO 7 YEARS OF HARD WORK AND HARD PLAY ,SOME OF BEST YEARS OF MY LIFE.

Well that is a co-incidence that there were two people with the name Wall working at Holden's.
Hi I also worked at holdens from 1977 to 2005 I remember Pete wall and david wall what was your dads name I used to live in Arden road

They are L-R Michael Partridge, Margaret Partridge, Margaret Thompson, David Maul boy sitting is Margarets brother David Thompson.
Is that the David Maule who lived in Ellesmere Road and was in Saltley Methodist Scouts? If so, I accompanied him on his overnight hike for his First Class Scout badge. Not seen him or been in touch with him since my father's memorial service at Saltley Meth - would have been 1979.

Graham

Sure there is a thread for Mothers. I was a regular there. The last time I went was to see Pink Floyd - must have been about 1970. Can't imagine anything like it now can you. A band like Pink Floyd playing in a room above a furniture shop to about 100 people! My husband worked in the labs. He decided he didn't like college so stopped going. When they found out at Holden's they gave him the sack!

I also went to Mothers and the Carlton Ballroom, as it was known before and saw, Pink Floyd, The Moody Blues, Black Sabbath, and many more play above the furniture store, down the alley.

I think it was the Cavendish furniture store , next to the funeral home that took up the entire area that the two stores currently occupy.

Last time I was in the village (Erdington) was in 2004, there was a "dollar" store there at street level. It was sad when Mothers closed. It looks pretty sad out front now, as did high street in general. There is a blue plaque between the upstairs windows that commorates the club.

Most times, a bunch of us teens hung out and drank beer downstairs in the New Roebuck Cellar Bar in those days,stuffing the Wurlitzer Juke Box with money all night.

The original Old Roebuck was next to the church, set a way back off the High Street, pretty much directly across from the front entrance to Woolworths, which ran the length of Barnabas Road down to a glass store, opposite the old Erdington Market.

My mother in law worked at the Palace Cinema, down where Safeway was built on the opposite side to Littlewoods. My Mom was a Co-op shopper. I still remember her number 111064!

Circa 1970, I had a girlfriend Valerie Jones, who worked at the Pop In Restaurant in York Road at the Sutton New Road end.

A little later before I immigrated to Canada in '74, I drove night shift for Star Taxi in South Road off Reservoir Road and then we moved into York Road, directly opposite where the Pop In used to be at street level.

Thanks for reminding me of fond memories of days, never to be enjoyed by anyone in quite the same way again!

Then again, there was the Rum Runner on Canal Street and Barbarellas off Broad Street, Rebeccas, the Dolce Vita to name a few, but nothing ever again quite like Mothers!

We may not have had "Woodstock", but the night life in Brum was hard to beat, with so many great local bands headed for the big time in the '60s and early 70s.

Attachments

• Mothers Club.JPG
    Mothers Club.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 18
I also went to Mothers and the Carlton Ballroom, as it was known before and saw, Pink Floyd, The Moody Blues, Black Sabbath, and many more play above the furniture store, down the alley.

I think it was the Cavendish furniture store , next to the funeral home that took up the entire area that the two stores currently occupy.

Last time I was in the village (Erdington) was in 2004, there was a "dollar" store there at street level. It was sad when Mothers closed. It looks pretty sad out front now, as did high street in general. There is a blue plaque between the upstairs windows that commorates the club.

Most times, a bunch of us teens hung out and drank beer downstairs in the New Roebuck Cellar Bar in those days,stuffing the Wurlitzer Juke Box with money all night.

The original Old Roebuck was next to the church, set a way back off the High Street, pretty much directly across from the front entrance to Woolworths, which ran the length of Barnabas Road down to a glass store, opposite the old Erdington Market.

My mother in law worked at the Palace Cinema, down where Safeway was built on the opposite side to Littlewoods. My Mom was a Co-op shopper. I still remember her number 111064!

Circa 1970, I had a girlfriend Valerie Jones, who worked at the Pop In Restaurant in York Road at the Sutton New Road end.

A little later before I immigrated to Canada in '74, I drove night shift for Star Taxi in South Road off Reservoir Road and then we moved into York Road, directly opposite where the Pop In used to be at street level.

Thanks for reminding me of fond memories of days, never to be enjoyed by anyone in quite the same way again!

Then again, there was the Rum Runner on Canal Street and Barbarellas off Broad Street, Rebeccas, the Dolce Vita to name a few, but nothing ever again quite like Mothers!

We may not have had "Woodstock", but the night life in Brum was hard to beat, with so many great local bands headed for the big time in the '60s and early 70s.
Martin, Woodstock was not what it was cracked up to be!

These ladies show off donations to St Saviours School from market stallholders and shopkeepers. Viv.

6A3CFE29-2E26-4D75-9634-7573BA2BD983.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• B1B93949-70DA-47B1-98AE-82A3E2014F7D.jpeg
    B1B93949-70DA-47B1-98AE-82A3E2014F7D.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 6
Thank's to both Sue and Viv about Saltley market and the mention of St Saviours school i was a pupil there from 1957 till 1964 was the market opposite Reginald road i had moved to castle vale by the time the photo and details of the fire were published . Is their anyone watching this thread that has any photo's or part photo's of the old Victorian junior school before it was demolished would be obliged if anyone can help Thank You Blueboy. Ps would anyone know were i could find information about St Saviours before it was demolished and the present school erected. Cheers.

Last edited:
hi does anyone remember Powell’s the greengrocers on washwood Heath road?
looking on google earth cam what a difference the streets look now filthy in places,

Hi. Bob. There were two corner shops on Wright Rd. Porters on the corner with Havelock Rd. and Pughs on the corner of Herrick Rd. Bish.
I was at grammar school with Roger "Podge" Porter, and we lived in Herrick Road, diagonally opposite Pugh's.

Someone may remember this house with its distinctive porch. Looks almost like a lodge, Viv.

8EC35E7B-6661-4780-BD5A-3CE9CBCE4D15.jpeg

According to the Birmingham Mail of 28th January 1939, Fernbank was an HQ of two AA batteries

Birm mail. 28.1.1939.jpg

It was 508-516 Alum Rock Road. According to other reports it was used as a Territorial drill hall after WW2 until at least 1956 and is now the site of various shops

According to the Birmingham Mail of 28th January 1939, Fernbank was an HQ of two AA batteries

View attachment 174847

It was 508-516 Alum Rock Road. According to other reports it was used as a Territorial drill hall after WW2 until at least 1956 and is now the site of various shops
thanks mike i remember that place there was a old tank standing in the grounds for ages

View attachment 174847

Hi.

Just inside the gate to the right was a smallbore rifle range. This was still in use in the early 60's, and was used
by a shooting club of which I was a member. The rangekeeper there was a Mr Flook ("Flookie"), and he lived at
the big house.

I am new to this site and have found the conversations and photos on here entertaining, sentimental and memory-jogging. This is the area I grew up around (Farndon Road in fact, and attended Nansen Road Infants and Junior) and spent many hours in Ward End Park.
In the part of Ward End Park that comes off Ward End Park Road, where the railway is on an embankment is the place where I watched the railway 'divi' on Sundays. I have been looking for a photo of this embankment in the park. Does anyone have one? (there may already be one on this forum, and if so, would someone please direct me to it).

I am new to this site and have found the conversations and photos on here entertaining, sentimental and memory-jogging. This is the area I grew up around (Farndon Road in fact, and attended Nansen Road Infants and Junior) and spent many hours in Ward End Park.
In the part of Ward End Park that comes off Ward End Park Road, where the railway is on an embankment is the place where I watched the railway 'divi' on Sundays. I have been looking for a photo of this embankment in the park. Does anyone have one? (there may already be one on this forum, and if so, would someone please direct me to it).
I used to cycle up that hill on my fixed wheel bike. Nearly made it to the top on a couple of occasions.

I found a couple. One with modern graffiti, the other looking downhill from it.

Attachments

• bridge ward end park.jpg
    bridge ward end park.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 22
  • embankment ward end park.jpg
    embankment ward end park.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 22
see also

Back